From: pinard@progiciels-bpi.ca (François Pinard)
Cc: Brian Gorka <gorkab@sanchez.com>, ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: SOUP!
Date: 13 Feb 1997 13:01:58 -0500	[thread overview]

"C. R. Oldham" <cro@nca.asu.edu> writes:

| Lars has always been extremely helpful, but I don't think he uses
| nnsoup himself, and thus might not be familiar with all its quirks
| (of which there are lots).

Lars told me he uses nnsoup for himself, all the time.  I use it fairly
often myself, and surely, Lars helped me at understanding the documentation
about it.  Moreover, following our exchanges, I think he revised many
things in the manual about nnsoup, to make it clearer.

In fact, seen with a broader view, Gnus is a wonderful tool, but all
newcomers around me had some difficulty at their first steps.  Once you've
got it working for you and understand a bit was is going on, it becomes
uneasy recovering the virginity you need for more properly criticising
Gnus documentation.

My feeling is that Lars should improve the manual by paying special
attention and understanding exactly the ways by which newcomers (to various
Gnus areas -- it is a wide package to visit) are mislead, and managing so
this is less likely to happen.  The manual should assume less knowledge
or intuition all over, and be as explicit as possible.  I quite understand
this is easier to ask than to achieve :-).  Just sharing opinions!

--
François Pinard         ``Vivement GNU!''        pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Support Programming Freedom, join our League!  Ask lpf@lpf.org for info!