* Sending gzipped files?
@ 1999-07-20 23:35 David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1999-07-20 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, is there a workaround for the problem with jka-compr + sending of
gzipped attachments? I just did that and the file was nicely
decompressed by jka-compr before being attached and sent (still with
the same tar.gz filename of course). I remember reading about the
problem, but don't remember if a solution existed.

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Bloom's Seventh Law of Litigation:

* Re: Sending gzipped files?
@ 1999-07-22 21:37 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-07-22 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Jul 20, 1999, David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> wrote:

> Hmm, is there a workaround for the problem with jka-compr + sending of
> gzipped attachments?

What I've done lately is to rename the attachments from foo.gz to
foo-gz.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,guarana.{org,com}} aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}

* Re: Sending gzipped files?
@ 1999-07-22 22:58   ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-07-22 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should

* Re: Sending gzipped files?
@ 1999-07-22 23:15     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-07-22 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: (ding)

On Jul 22, 1999, Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> wrote:

> * Alexandre Oliva <oliva@dcc.unicamp.br>  on Thu, 22 Jul 1999
> | What I've done lately is to rename the attachments from foo.gz to
> | foo-gz.

> Why not just turn off auto-compression-mode?

Because I don't know how to do that?

--

@ 1999-07-22 23:59       ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-07-22 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover

* Re: Sending gzipped files?
@ 1999-07-23  2:08         ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-07-23  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: (ding)

On Jul 22, 1999, Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> wrote:

> * Alexandre Oliva <oliva@dcc.unicamp.br>  on Thu, 22 Jul 1999
> | > Why not just turn off auto-compression-mode?
> | Because I don't know how to do that?
              ^^^

> Read The Fine Manual

I had meant ``didn't'', but thanks anyway :-)

BTW, I couldn't find the definition of this function anywhere (only
commented out in jka-compr.el), and I'm not sure how portable it is
(for example, does it work on GNU Emacs?)

It would be cool if Gnus used it in two situations: when attaching a
file and when saving an attachment to disk.  But, in the first case,
you may want the file to be decompressed, so it would be nice to have
an mml tag to indicate whether the file is to be decompressed or not
(or maybe the filename to appear in the message, so that it gnus can
guess whether it is to remain compressed or not).  Same for saving a
.gz attachment: it's quite annoying to have to uncompress a file twice
:-(