On Jul 4, 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote: > On Jul 4, 1999, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote: >> Alexandre Oliva writes: >>> So, even though `.*' appears to be much more intuitive, it is not >>> really that intuitive if you don't happen to know what's going on >>> behind the scenes, so I'd rather have a prefix that is clearly not >>> part of the regexp. It might have been better to use a (cons 'partial >>> "regex") to denote partial matches... >> Yes, that sounds like a better idea than a "magic" prefix. > OTOH, it might break existing code that relies on the existing format. > In this sense, `.*' would be better. Even if we have to special-case > it in the splitting engine and in the docs, it would be backward > compatible. It seems to me that the attached patch is fully backward-compatible, and its outcome is not surprising, not even in terms of \N substitutions. -- Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il {oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org} oliva@{gnu.org,kaffe.org,{egcs,sourceware}.cygnus.com,samba.org} *** E-mail about software projects will be forwarded to mailing lists