* Mozilla 5.0 to include Gnus
@ 1998-01-22 23:55 Yeoh Yiu
From: Yeoh Yiu @ 1998-01-22 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Netscape just announced that they're going to release the source code
to Communicator 5.0 with a license that allows modification and
redistribution "in the heritage of the GNU Public License."  No
details on the specific license yet, but it sounds *very* hopeful.

The point is... we *will* be able to add all the funky new features
we want.  Complaining about the browser will no longer be acceptable
now that we will be able to *do* something about it.  It also means
that Microsoft will get to compete head-to-head with a real free
software model.  This is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate what
the free software model can do.  I can already envision non-Netscape
"distributions," custom browser modifications for big customers, etc.

More info here:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/980122/ca_netscap_3.html
http://www.yahoo.com/headlines/980122/business/stories/netscape_1.html
http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?980122.ehnetcode.htm