From: Scott A Crosby <scrosby@cs.rice.edu>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Drafts feature-request/bug.
Date: 11 Sep 2002 05:19:04 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:06:52 +0200, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Scott A Crosby <scrosby@cs.rice.edu> writes:
>
> > First, can I make my drafts group be an ordinary group in the NNML
> > backend, or must it be in the nndraft backend?
>
> It's difficult to use nnml because your messages are also auto-saved
> into a file in the drafts group.  Using nnml means you have to frob
> the auto-saving mechanism to update the NOV data and stuff.

Ok.. Then again, having NOV for there doesn't matter much. I guess if
the other stuff got fixed, its not *that* big a deal.

> > Second, for NNML groups, if I move a message into an NNML group, I
> > don't have to refresh by pushing 'g' in the group buffer for them to
> > appear in their new summary buffers. I can go there directly and they
> > appear. However, for drafts, if I suspend writing a moment 'C-c C-d',
> > I must refresh the group buffer before I can continue see the message
> > in the draft group, before I can continue editing that message. This
> > is slow and annoying.
>
> Seems to be a bug.  I also see it.  I wonder if somebody can fix it.

PLEASE!  For bonus points, how about putting a key on the Group and
Summary buffers that called 'Edit last draft', so that you can suspend
the current message, look at some other messages, then go back to
editing it quickly.

BTW, it seems to work for NNML, so maybe get an idea from the code there?

> > Third, drafts seem to have a fixed date on them. Usually December
> > 31. It'd be nice if they got updated with the date of the last edit to
> > them. (IE, just before being edited or sent, update the date header.)
>
> Hm.  It's an idea.

I have a habit of occasionally leavig unsent drafts there for months
or occasionally years.. Having them dated would keep me from sending
out an ancient draft thats no longer relevant.

> > From reading the gnus-agent backend, apparently drafts does
> > double-duty and also is used to hold the outgoing messages. Thats
> > incompatible with using them to hold suspended messages. Is there any
> > easy way of splitting it into the 2 groups?
>
> Gnus already uses nndraft:drafts for the C-c C-d'd messages and
> nndraft:queue for the Agent.  (<self-advertisement> And then, there
> is nndraft:delayed or somesuch for delayed
> articles. </self-advertisement>)

Ah, cool.. The docs on Gnus Agent are a little misleading. I was
looking for if it would be possible to use Agent to read an NNML spool
on one machine from a different machine, and read a paragraph that
implied the above.

From reading the gnus agent, I guess I can't do the above, without
creating some sort of client-server backend.

As a quick question.. Can someone explain why composing a new message
seems to be sluggish? When I do an 'm' it usually takes a second or so
for it to pop up the message edit buffer.

Scott