From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
To: gmane-discuss@hawk.netfonds.no
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Syncing gmane group read state across multiple	gnusen
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:24:03 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> posted u3a9y9bh0.fsf@dod.no, excerpted below, on
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:45:31 +0200:

> Right now I have three different Gnus clients that read the same IMAP
> mailboxes, different non-gmane newsreaders and groups, and finally an
> overlapping set of gmane groups.
>
> What I would like to do is to synchronize the read state for the gmane
> groups that are read on all gnus installations.
>
> Does anyone else have a similar use case?  Does anyone have a solution?
>
> The matches that google has found me is complete synchronization of
> multiple Gnusen, but that's not what I found.  And the solutons I've
> seen has been sort of hacky.
>
> I guess I'm looking for an explicit export and import of gmane group
> article read state...  A bit of automation around that would be nice,
> but not essential.  It will in any case be easier than wading through
> the articles once more.

Does Gnus use the standard newsrc format?  If it does, then what you're
asking should be a breeze, because the newsrc files are by definition
single-server only already.  Thus, it would seem a natural fit for
tracking status on a single shared server when others aren't shared, just
find the appropriate newsrc file for each one and share it, leaving the
others alone.

I don't use gnus so can't say, but know that pan works this way, using a
single newsrc file for each server it tracks.  It's thus quite easy to
share the same single-server tracking among different machines and
clients, just share the same newsrc but leave others alone.  That can be
accomplished using symlinks or editing the servers.xml file for each so
it points to a singe common newsrc file.

If gnus doesn't use newsrc files, then...