* gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit misses some articles
@ 2003-01-23 13:01 Bruce Stephens
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2003-01-23 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm guessing this is due to the recent changes to gnus-sum.el, but on
entry to a group, I don't seem to be put on the first unread article
(or not always, anyway---I'm not sure what the choice is, exactly),
and (again, sometimes), when I do "c y", to exit the group, in the
Group buffer it's clear that some articles haven't been marked as
read.

I can sort of understand the reasoning for the agent, if there are
articles that haven't been downloaded, then you might not want to mark
them as read (although we had this discussion some time ago, and it
was decided to mark undownloaded articles as read unless the user had
marked them for download).  But this shouldn't apply to me, because
I'm not using the agent, so this just seems like broken behaviour.

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit misses some articles
@ 2003-01-23 14:05 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-23 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Stephens <bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I'm guessing this is due to the recent changes to gnus-sum.el, but on
> entry to a group, I don't seem to be put on the first unread article
> (or not always, anyway---I'm not sure what the choice is, exactly),
> and (again, sometimes), when I do "c y", to exit the group, in the
> Group buffer it's clear that some articles haven't been marked as
> read.

Yes, `.' appears to avoid some articles.  Interestingly, `,' selects
them (though, of course, perhaps in a different order).
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit misses some articles
@ 2003-01-23 16:26 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-23 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Stephens <bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I'm guessing this is due to the recent changes to gnus-sum.el, but on
> entry to a group, I don't seem to be put on the first unread article
> (or not always, anyway---I'm not sure what the choice is, exactly),
> and (again, sometimes), when I do "c y", to exit the group, in the
> Group buffer it's clear that some articles haven't been marked as
> read.

Well, both depend upon gnus-summary-first-subject so that could
explain why both fail at the same time.  I did make changes to
gnus-summary-first-subject so it was probably my doing.

If 'c y' didn't catch up every article, I would expect that
gnus-summary-first-subject and/or gnus-summary-find-next are skipping
some articles.  Can you help debug what went wrong?

If you open the group after doing 'c y', do you see any unread
articles? Also do you get a 'no ... articles' message?  If point isn't
on the first unread article, pls try debugging
gnus-summary-first-subject.

I'll try to
duplicate it here but there's no guarantee that I'll be able to
reproduce the problem.

> But this shouldn't apply to me, because
> I'm not using the agent, so this just seems like broken behaviour.

Agreed.  I did find a problem in
gnus-summary-first-unseen-or-unread-subject but that's it so far.

Kevin

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit misses some articles
@ 2003-01-23 16:53   ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 2003-01-23 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

[...]

> Well, both depend upon gnus-summary-first-subject so that could
> explain why both fail at the same time.  I did make changes to
> gnus-summary-first-subject so it was probably my doing.
>
> If 'c y' didn't catch up every article, I would expect that
> gnus-summary-first-subject and/or gnus-summary-find-next are skipping
> some articles.  Can you help debug what went wrong?
>
> If you open the group after doing 'c y', do you see any unread
> articles?

Yes.  I can even be more specific: the number of unread articles above
the pointer (when I first enter the group) is the same as the number
of reported unread articles after I do "c y".  So it does indeed
suggest that gnus-summary-first-subject is broken.  I'll try to debug
it later, if you don't quickly see what's wrong.

[...]

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit misses some articles
@ 2003-01-23 17:46     ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-23 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Stephens <bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Well, both depend upon gnus-summary-first-subject so that could
>> explain why both fail at the same time.  I did make changes to
>> gnus-summary-first-subject so it was probably my doing.
>>
>> If 'c y' didn't catch up every article, I would expect that
>> gnus-summary-first-subject and/or gnus-summary-find-next are skipping
>> some articles.  Can you help debug what went wrong?
>>
>> If you open the group after doing 'c y', do you see any unread
>> articles?
>
> Yes.  I can even be more specific: the number of unread articles above
> the pointer (when I first enter the group) is the same as the number
> of reported unread articles after I do "c y".  So it does indeed
> suggest that gnus-summary-first-subject is broken.  I'll try to debug
> it later, if you don't quickly see what's wrong.
>
> [...]

Fixed and checked-in.
Kevin

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit misses some articles
@ 2003-01-23 18:33 ` Christoph Garbers
From: Christoph Garbers @ 2003-01-23 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Bruce Stephens <bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk>:

> I'm guessing this is due to the recent changes to gnus-sum.el, but on
> entry to a group, I don't seem to be put on the first unread article
> (or not always, anyway---I'm not sure what the choice is, exactly),
> and (again, sometimes), when I do "c y", to exit the group, in the
> Group buffer it's clear that some articles haven't been marked as
> read.

I'm seeing something similar:

I have a nnml-group with 34 unread e-mails. I enter the group, all 34
mails are shown and I am put on the first unread e-mail. I do `c y', and
when I am back in the summary buffer, only 18 e-mails are marked read
and 16 are still unread and shown when I re-enter the group.

What can I do to debug this problem? It does not happen with all
nnml-groups.

Christoph