* Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-09 17:39 Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2011-02-09 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I currently have one SMTP server I talk to with Gnus, and another
account with a web-mail interface that also supports SMTP. I'm
considering just using Gnus for both, but I was wondering what the
canonical method was for configuring this? gnus-posting-styles would
theoretically fit, but I can't see any way to set any of the smtpmail
variables in a posting style.

Thanks

Robert

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-09 17:46 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-02-09 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I currently have one SMTP server I talk to with Gnus, and another
> account with a web-mail interface that also supports SMTP. I'm
> considering just using Gnus for both, but I was wondering what the
> canonical method was for configuring this? gnus-posting-styles would
> theoretically fit, but I can't see any way to set any of the smtpmail
> variables in a posting style.
>
> Thanks
>
> Robert

My preferred way is msmtp. There is some junk in the msmtp-change-smtp
function below but its all so hairy to set up I wont touch it anymore ;)

It bases the msmtp account to use on the from address.

Hope it suits.

,----
`----

,----
|  ;; Select the correct smtp server based on the from address.
|   (defun msmtp-account (&optional def)
|     (let* ((from
|             (save-restriction
|               (message-narrow-to-headers)
|               (message-fetch-field "From")))
|            (account (if from (catch 'match
|                                (dolist (element msmtp-name-list)
|                                  ;; (message (format "smpt chosen is %s" element))
|                                  (when (string-match (format ".*%s.*" element) from)
|                                    (throw 'match element)))) nil)))
|       (if account account (if def def "default"))))
|
|   (defun msmtp-change-smtp ()
|     (setq sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp")
|     (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.googlemail.com" 587 nil nil)))
|     (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.googlemail.com")
|     (setq message-sendmail-envelope-from 'header)
|     (if (message-mail-p)
|         (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments (list "-a" (msmtp-account "default")))))
|   (add-hook 'message-send-hook 'msmtp-change-smtp)

`----

Where my .msmtprc file is of the form

,----

`----

--
☘ http://www.shamrockirishbar.com, http://splash-of-open-sauce.blogspot.com/ http://www.richardriley.net

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-09 18:06   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2011-02-09 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: ding

RR> My preferred way is msmtp. There is some junk in the msmtp-change-smtp
RR> function below but its all so hairy to set up I wont touch it anymore ;)

RR> It bases the msmtp account to use on the from address.

I think it's generally simpler than that if you don't need everything in
said "hairy" elisp:

(setq sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp")

Is all you need (and then to configure your ~/.msmtprc file)
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-09 18:48     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-02-09 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wes Hardaker; +Cc: ding

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> RR> My preferred way is msmtp. There is some junk in the msmtp-change-smtp
> RR> function below but its all so hairy to set up I wont touch it anymore ;)
>
> RR> It bases the msmtp account to use on the from address.
>
> I think it's generally simpler than that if you don't need everything in
> said "hairy" elisp:
>
> (setq sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp")
>
> Is all you need (and then to configure your ~/.msmtprc file)

And the change server account based on from address surely which then
passes the correct data to the msmtp program or does it "just work" now?

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-09 20:17 ` Bruno Tavernier
From: Bruno Tavernier @ 2011-02-09 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnus; +Cc: Robert Pluim

Hello Robert,

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> I currently have one SMTP server I talk to with Gnus, and another
> account with a web-mail interface that also supports SMTP. I'm
> considering just using Gnus for both, but I was wondering what the
> canonical method was for configuring this? gnus-posting-styles would
> theoretically fit, but I can't see any way to set any of the smtpmail
> variables in a posting style.

I wrote this simple piece of elisp code to automatically choose the smtp
parameters depending on the content (regexp) in the From header.

It works flawlessly so far. :-)

; ===== AUTO SMTP =====

; Use smtp with gnus/message
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

(defun my-message-send-smtp ()
  "Automatically adjust the stmp parameters to match the From header."
  (interactive)
  (cond
   ; GMAIL
   ((string-match "gmail" (message-field-value "From"))
    ; SMTP address and port
    (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
    (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
    ; Secured connection
    (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))))
   ; MY WORK PLACE
   ((string-match "mycompany" (message-field-value "From"))
    ; SMTP address and port
    (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.mycompany")
    (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25))
   ))

(add-hook 'message-send-hook 'my-message-send-smtp)

; ===== END =====

--
Bruno

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-09 22:23       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2011-02-09 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: ding

RR> And the change server account based on from address surely which then
RR> passes the correct data to the msmtp program or does it "just work" now?

msmtp already selects the account based on the 'from' line in its rc
file...  You don't need to do anything else.

--

@ 2011-02-09 23:27         ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-02-09 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wes Hardaker; +Cc: ding

> RR> And the change server account based on from address surely which then
> RR> passes the correct data to the msmtp program or does it "just work" now?
>
> msmtp already selects the account based on the 'from' line in its rc
> file...  You don't need to do anything else.

It didnt work for me as it didnt correctly set the real name.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusMSMTP

are various explanations including using gnus-posting-styles

--

@ 2011-02-11 21:28   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2011-02-11 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bruno Tavernier <tavernier.bruno@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Robert,
>
> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I currently have one SMTP server I talk to with Gnus, and another
>> account with a web-mail interface that also supports SMTP. I'm
>> considering just using Gnus for both, but I was wondering what the
>> canonical method was for configuring this? gnus-posting-styles would
>> theoretically fit, but I can't see any way to set any of the smtpmail
>> variables in a posting style.
>
> I wrote this simple piece of elisp code to automatically choose the smtp
> parameters depending on the content (regexp) in the From header.
>
> It works flawlessly so far. :-)

It does indeed :)

Thanks for that.

@ 2011-02-14  2:25   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-14  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bruno Tavernier <tavernier.bruno@gmail.com> writes:

> I wrote this simple piece of elisp code to automatically choose the smtp
> parameters depending on the content (regexp) in the From header.

[...]

>    ((string-match "gmail" (message-field-value "From"))
>     ; SMTP address and port
>     (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")

This seems nice...  but why would one use different outgoing SMTP
servers?

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-14  7:45     ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2011-02-14  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* larsi@gnus.org [2011-02-14 Mon 02:25]
> This seems nice...  but why would one use different outgoing SMTP
> servers?

Your employer requires that all work related mail go through their
servers. You don't want to push non-work related mail through their
servers.

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-14  8:34       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2011-02-14  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> writes:

> * larsi@gnus.org [2011-02-14 Mon 02:25]
>> This seems nice...  but why would one use different outgoing SMTP
>> servers?
>
> Your employer requires that all work related mail go through their
> servers. You don't want to push non-work related mail through their
> servers.

Yes. I'm paranoid (in a good way :) )

@ 2011-02-14  9:42     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-02-14  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Ingebrigtsen writes:
> Bruno Tavernier <tavernier.bruno@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I wrote this simple piece of elisp code to automatically choose the smtp
>> parameters depending on the content (regexp) in the From header.
>
> [...]
>
>>    ((string-match "gmail" (message-field-value "From"))
>>     ; SMTP address and port
>>     (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
>
> This seems nice...  but why would one use different outgoing SMTP
> servers?

Thanks to SPF [1], not using the correct SMTP server for your address
can easily result in your mails getting rejected or scored up by
spamassassin.

To be on topic: my solution is here

http://www.randomsample.de/dru5/node/63

-David

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-14 11:26       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-02-14 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen writes:
>> Bruno Tavernier <tavernier.bruno@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I wrote this simple piece of elisp code to automatically choose the smtp
>>> parameters depending on the content (regexp) in the From header.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>>    ((string-match "gmail" (message-field-value "From"))
>>>     ; SMTP address and port
>>>     (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
>>
>> This seems nice...  but why would one use different outgoing SMTP
>> servers?
>
> Thanks to SPF [1], not using the correct SMTP server for your address
> can easily result in your mails getting rejected or scored up by
> spamassassin.
>
> To be on topic: my solution is here
>
> http://www.randomsample.de/dru5/node/63
>
> -David
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

Yet Another Version (!) of the same thing here is here which takes into
account the validation method used.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts

It would be nice if a "gnus posting style"/"use the from address" method
to use multiple smtp accounts was standard in gnus - google land is
littered with copy/pasted versions of the same some which work some
which dont. Possibly it is in Ted's new stuff. Its oft
requested. Especially since gmail smtp (commonly used) wont let you post
using arbitrary from addresses from the same smtp login and more and
more dynamic IPs are blacklisted as spam making posting from your local
lan a touch and go affair.

Another issue is SPF record checking. This code below (again copied from
another version of the link above) sets the user-mail-address in the
gnus posting styles in order to change the envelope to a domain with a
valid spf record : despite having my own domains I still use gmail - let
them worry about backups etc ;)

I find this set up the best as when the code is in place all you need to
do is add to the smtp-accounts, gnus-posting-styles and the
.authinfo.gpg. Why "address" is used on the linked code above I am not
sure. This below uses the "from" and only the "from" what I
understand. This version was posted by Philip and I include it here for
completeness with my slight modifications..

,----

`----

r.

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-14 20:09         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Especially since gmail smtp (commonly used) wont let you post using
> arbitrary from addresses from the same smtp login and more and more
> dynamic IPs are blacklisted as spam making posting from your local lan
> a touch and go affair.
>
> Another issue is SPF record checking.

Right.  So there definitely is a good use case here, and since sending
email doesn't work on a standard Ubuntu install, I think Something
Should Be Done.

But on what level?  I think Gnus is the wrong place to do it, so it
would either be a Message thing, or an smtpmail.el thing.

In either case -- what should the user be presented with?

The first time somebody sends email in an Emacs, I think they should be
prompted for what outgoing SMTP server to use.  Perhaps they should be
prompted for each different right hand side they use (by default)?  So
if I send from larsi@gnus.org, I'm prompted, and then Emacs starts
maintaining a customize alist of something like

(("@gnus.org" "smtp.gnus.org")
 ("@gmail.com"

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-14 20:13           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-14 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

(I hit `C-c C-c' prematurely.)

The first time somebody sends email in an Emacs, I think they should be
prompted for what outgoing SMTP server to use.  Perhaps they should be
prompted for each different right hand side they use (by default)?  So
if I send from larsi@gnus.org, I'm prompted, and then Emacs starts
maintaining a Customize alist of something like

((".*@gnus.org" "smtp.gnus.org")
 (".*@gmail.com" "smtp.gmail.com"))

or whatever.

For Linux users, this would be a pretty radical change, since the
current defaults are to just use the MTA that's supposed to be installed
on the OS.

Perhaps the first-time prompt should also ask you whether to use
smtpmail directly or use the OS MTA?  It would be nice if Message could
figure out automatically whether the OS has a usable outgoing MTA, but I
think that's pretty much impossible.  This Ubuntu install had exim, but
was configured for local delivery only.  How...  useful.

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-14 21:08             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-14 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:13:29 -0800 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LI> Perhaps the first-time prompt should also ask you whether to use
LI> smtpmail directly or use the OS MTA?  It would be nice if Message could
LI> figure out automatically whether the OS has a usable outgoing MTA, but I
LI> think that's pretty much impossible.  This Ubuntu install had exim, but
LI> was configured for local delivery only.  How...  useful.

Hey, if only Gnus had like an assistant or something to guide the user
through this kind of setup... :)

Ted

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-14 21:23               ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-14 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Hey, if only Gnus had like an assistant or something to guide the user
> through this kind of setup... :)

:-)

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-16 16:12         ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-02-16 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
> I find this set up the best as when the code is in place all you need to
> do is add to the smtp-accounts, gnus-posting-styles and the
> .authinfo.gpg.

Using this setup, I get queried for the SMTP-server password when
sending email, even though I have added the account details to the
.authinfo file:

machine imap.gmx.com login yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk password gmxpass port 993
machine mail.gmx.com login yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk password gmxpass port 587
machine imap.gmail.com login j.carlsson@gmail.com password gmailpass port 993
machine smtp.gmail.com login j.carlsson@gmail.com password gmailpass port 587

What am I doing wrong as it doesn't seem to care about .authinfo?

To make it work, I also had to use:

(require 'cl) ;Enable the 'loop' command
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> ,----
> | (defun set-smtp (mech server port user password)
> |   "Set related SMTP variables for supplied parameters."
> |   (setq smtpmail-smtp-server server
> |         smtpmail-smtp-service port
> |         smtpmail-auth-credentials (list (list server port user password))
> |         smtpmail-auth-supported (list mech)
> |         smtpmail-starttls-credentials nil)
> |   (message "Setting SMTP server to `%s:%s' for user `%s'."
> |            server port user))
> |
> | (defun set-smtp-ssl (server port user password &optional key cert)
> |   "Set related SMTP and SSL variables for supplied parameters."
> |   (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
> |         starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
> |         ;; TODO: Add this to the server parameters
> |         ;; starttls-extra-arguments nil
> |         smtpmail-smtp-server server
> |         smtpmail-smtp-service port
> |         smtpmail-auth-credentials (list (list server port user password))
> |         smtpmail-starttls-credentials (list (list server port key cert)))
> |   (message
> |    "Setting SMTP server to `%s:%s' for user `%s'. (SSL enabled.)"
> |    server port user))
> |
> | (defun change-smtp ()
> |   "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
> |   (interactive)
> |   (save-excursion
> |     (loop with from = (save-restriction
> |                         (message-narrow-to-headers)
> |                         (message-fetch-field "from"))
> |           for (auth-mech address . auth-spec) in smtp-accounts
> |           when (string-match address from)
> |           do (cond
> |               ((memq auth-mech '(cram-md5 plain login))
> |                (return (apply 'set-smtp (cons auth-mech auth-spec))))
> |               ((eql auth-mech 'ssl)
> |                (return (apply 'set-smtp-ssl auth-spec)))
> |               (t (error "Unrecognized SMTP auth. mechanism: `%s'." auth-mech)))
> |           finally (error "Cannot infer SMTP information."))))
> |
> | (add-hook 'message-send-hook 'change-smtp)
> |
> | (setq smtp-accounts '(
> |                       (ssl "riley" "smtp.gmail.com" "587"
> |                            "rileyrg@gmail.com" nil)
> |                       (ssl "shamrock" "smtp.gmail.com" "587"
> |                            "shamrockirishbar@gmail.com" nil)))
(setq smtp-accounts '(
                      (ssl "gmx" "mail.gmx.com" "587"
                            "yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk" nil)
                      (ssl "gmail" "smtp.gmail.com" "587"
                           "j.carlsson@gmail.com" nil)))
> | (setq gnus-posting-styles `((".*"
> | 			     (from "Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com>")
> | 			     (eval(setq gnushush-user-agent-header (quote real)))
> | 			     (signature-file "~/.emacs.d/.sigs/rgr.sig")
> | 			     (eval (setq mml2015-signers '("********")))
> | 			     (eval (setq user-mail-address "rgr@richardriley.net"))
> | 			     (organization "aich tea tea pea dicky riley dot net"))))
(setq gnus-posting-styles `((".*"
			     (from "Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk>")
			     (eval (setq user-mail-address "yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk"))
			     )))

> | (add-to-list `gnus-posting-styles `(,(rx(or "shamrock"))
> | 				    (from  "The Shamrock Irish Bar<shamrockirishbar@gmail.com>")
> | 				    (eval (setq user-mail-address "shamrock@shamrockirishbar.com"))
> | 				    (eval (setq mml2015-signers '("********")))
> | 				    (organization "http://www.shamrockirishbar.com")
> | 				    (signature-file "~/.emacs.d/.sigs/s.sig")) t)
(add-to-list `gnus-posting-styles `(,(rx(or "gmail"))
				    (from  "J Carlsson <j.carlsson@gmail.com>")
				    (eval (setq user-mail-address "j.carlsson@gmail.com"))
				    ) t)
> `----

Very useful functionality however to manage several email-adresses!

--
Johnny

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-16 16:28           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-16 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:12:01 +0000 Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

J> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>> I find this set up the best as when the code is in place all you need to
>> do is add to the smtp-accounts, gnus-posting-styles and the
>> .authinfo.gpg.

J> Using this setup, I get queried for the SMTP-server password when
J> sending email, even though I have added the account details to the
J> .authinfo file:

J> machine imap.gmx.com login yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk password gmxpass port 993
J> machine mail.gmx.com login yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk password gmxpass port 587
J> machine imap.gmail.com login j.carlsson@gmail.com password gmailpass port 993
J> machine smtp.gmail.com login j.carlsson@gmail.com password gmailpass port 587

J> What am I doing wrong as it doesn't seem to care about .authinfo?

(assuming you're using a recent Gnus checkout; if not, please tell me)

Please set auth-info-debug to t and show the lines in *Messages* that
are from auth-source when you try to send mail.  That should tell us
what's wrong.

Ted

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-16 16:45             ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-02-16 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
> (assuming you're using a recent Gnus checkout; if not, please tell me)
I am using Gnus v5.13.

> Please set auth-info-debug to t and show the lines in *Messages* that
> are from auth-source when you try to send mail.  That should tell us
> what's wrong.
I seem not to have that variable?

I probably should mention I used a simple smtp setup with only one
server (gmx) previously, and then it seemed to use .authinfo as it never
asked for the password when sending mail. It was only after I tried to
use the code in the thread to integrate my gmail into Gnus that this
appeared.

Old smtp config that seems to use .authinfo:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("mail.gmx.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.gmx.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-local-domain nil) ;"gmx.co.uk")

--
Johnny

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-16 19:06               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-16 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:45:34 +0000 Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

J> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> (assuming you're using a recent Gnus checkout; if not, please tell me)
J> I am using Gnus v5.13.

>> Please set auth-info-debug to t and show the lines in *Messages* that
>> are from auth-source when you try to send mail.  That should tell us
>> what's wrong.
J> I seem not to have that variable?

I hoped you might be sending from an alternate Gnus install but I guess
it's your main one.  Before auth-source.el, things were "different" and
not in a good way :)  Could you consider using a recent Gnus checkout or
is that not possible?  Otherwise it will be much harder to find and fix
the problem, plus of course it may be fixed already.

J> I probably should mention I used a simple smtp setup with only one
J> server (gmx) previously, and then it seemed to use .authinfo as it never
J> asked for the password when sending mail. It was only after I tried to
J> use the code in the thread to integrate my gmail into Gnus that this
J> appeared.

I think all the other participants in that thread are using a recent
Gnus checkout.

J> Old smtp config that seems to use .authinfo:

J> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
J>       smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("mail.gmx.com" 587 nil nil))
J>       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.gmx.com"
J>       smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.com"
J>       smtpmail-smtp-service 587
J>       smtpmail-local-domain nil) ;"gmx.co.uk")

FWIW my setup is to switch all of these with a function whenever I enter
a group.  It does the work based on the group name and other things.

Ted

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-16 20:41                 ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-02-16 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Could you consider using a recent Gnus checkout or is that not
> possible?  Otherwise it will be much harder to find and fix the
> problem, plus of course it may be fixed already.
Right, I should probably update my Gnus. I'll try that and see what
happens.

> FWIW my setup is to switch all of these with a function whenever I enter
> a group.  It does the work based on the group name and other things.
This sounds like a great and sleek idea. Who knows, maybe one day I'll
learn to do that, too!

Thanks,
--
Johnny

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-16 23:17                 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-02-16 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-02-17 03:06 +0800, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> FWIW my setup is to switch all of these with a function whenever I enter
> a group.  It does the work based on the group name and other things.

Can this work if you defer sending i.e. C-c C-j?

I also use 2 SMTP servers set up in message-send-hook.

Leo

--
Oracle is the new evil

* Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?
@ 2011-02-17 17:04                   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-17 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 07:17:11 +0800 Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:

L> On 2011-02-17 03:06 +0800, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> FWIW my setup is to switch all of these with a function whenever I enter
>> a group.  It does the work based on the group name and other things.

L> Can this work if you defer sending i.e. C-c C-j?

L> I also use 2 SMTP servers set up in message-send-hook.

No, I don't think so.  You could associate the necessary parameters with
the Message-ID in the Gnus registry or in the headers, but it would be
painful.

Ted

* Broken split-fancy upon updating gnus (Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?)
@ 2011-02-17 20:33                     ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-02-17 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> Could you consider using a recent Gnus checkout or is that not
>> possible?  Otherwise it will be much harder to find and fix the
>> problem, plus of course it may be fixed already.
> Right, I should probably update my Gnus. I'll try that and see what
> happens.

Ok, I tried updating my gnus (to the
9f8ec3b0649842332bb2ea590997236088965721 commit in git), and this is
what happens:

First, on login the authinfo.gpg is created and I am prompted for
password. As I haven't gotten around to using the gpg-daemon, every time
gnus wants the .authinfo.gpg, I get queried for the symmetric passphrase
(yes, I haven't gotten around to learn this properly yet either). If
there's a way to bypass this, that would be great. Nonetheless, I can
probably figure this out eventually, however...

...more of an issue, is that my split-fancy broke and no splitting was done
so all my mails ended up in the inbox, making the setup mostly
unusable. I tried some variation, but couldn't solve the issue and had
to revert to gnus 5.13, and magically the splitting works again!?

My current split config:

(setq nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX" )) ;Specify which group to split
(setq nnimap-split-predicate "UNDELETED") ;Split all messages that are not deleted. This changes the default that is UNREAD UNDELETED.
(setq nnimap-split-rule '(("gmx" ("INBOX" nnimap-split-fancy)))
     nnimap-split-fancy
     '(|
         ("from" "gramps-users-request@lists\\.sourceforge\\.net" "INBOX.Gramps")
         ("to\\|cc" "gramps-users@lists\\.sourceforge\\.net" "INBOX.Gramps")
	 ("from" "python-list-request@python\\.org" "INBOX.Python")
	 ("to\\|cc" "python-list@python\\.org" "INBOX.Python")
	 ("from" "help-octave-request@octave\\.org" "INBOX.Octave")
	 ("to\\|cc" "help\\(-octave\\)?@octave\\.org" "INBOX.Octave")
	 ("from" "bug-wget-request@gnu\\.org" "INBOX.Wget")
	 ("to\\|cc" "bug-wget@gnu\\.org" "INBOX.Wget")
	 ("from" "inkscape-user-request@lists\\.sourceforge\\.net" "INBOX.Inkscape")
	 ("to\\|cc" "inkscape-user@lists\\.sourceforge\\.net" "INBOX.Inkscape")
	 ("from" "gdal-dev-request@lists\\.osgeo\\.org" "INBOX.Gdal")
	 ("to\\|cc" "gdal-dev@lists\\.osgeo\\.org" "INBOX.Gdal")
	 ("from" "digikam-users-request@kde\\.org" "INBOX.Digikam")
	 ("to\\|cc" "digikam-users@kde\\.org" "INBOX.Digikam")
	 ("from" "cinelerra@skolelinux\\.no" "INBOX.Cinelerra")
	 ("to\\|cc" "cinelerra@skolelinux\\.no" "INBOX.Cinelerra")
	 ("to\\|cc" "conkeror@mozdev\\.org" "INBOX.Conkeror")
	 ("to\\|cc" "ding@gnus\\.org" "INBOX.gnus")
	 ("to\\|cc" "bbdb-info@lists\\.sourceforge\\.net" "INBOX.bbdb")
	 ("to\\|cc" "evince-list@gnome\\.org" "INBOX.evince")
	 (any "yggdrasil@gmx\\.co\\.uk" "INBOX.leftovers") ;Any others to <this email> put in this folder
     "INBOX.unsorted")) ;Anything not covered by the above, put in this folder

Thanks,
--
Johnny

* Re: Broken split-fancy upon updating gnus (Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?)
@ 2011-02-17 22:38                       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-17 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> (setq nnimap-split-rule '(("gmx" ("INBOX" nnimap-split-fancy)))
>      nnimap-split-fancy

These no longer exist (much), and you have to set `nnimap-split-methods'
instead (to the fancy split).

* Re: Broken split-fancy upon updating gnus (Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?)
@ 2011-02-18 20:27                       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-18 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:33:40 +0000 Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

J> First, on login the authinfo.gpg is created and I am prompted for
J> password. As I haven't gotten around to using the gpg-daemon, every time
J> gnus wants the .authinfo.gpg, I get queried for the symmetric passphrase
J> (yes, I haven't gotten around to learn this properly yet either). If
J> there's a way to bypass this, that would be great. Nonetheless, I can
J> probably figure this out eventually, however...

Please read (info "(auth) GnuPG and EasyPG Assistant Configuration") for
solutions to the passphrase issue.

Ted

* Re: Broken split-fancy upon updating gnus (Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?)
@ 2011-02-18 23:09                         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-18 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Please read (info "(auth) GnuPG and EasyPG Assistant Configuration") for
> solutions to the passphrase issue.

Hm.  epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption doesn't seem to
exist?

* Re: Broken split-fancy upon updating gnus (Re: Multiple SMTP servers with Gnus?)
@ 2011-02-19 10:54                         ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-02-19 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ok, I got my setup working now with dual smtp servers. Migrating from
Gnus 5.13 to NoGnus 0.11 makes a difference and some minor
challenges. For the record, I just summarise how I got it working below,
maybe of use to someone.

> Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:
>
>> (setq nnimap-split-rule '(("gmx" ("INBOX" nnimap-split-fancy)))
>>      nnimap-split-fancy
>
> These no longer exist (much), and you have to set `nnimap-split-methods'
> instead (to the fancy split).

I put the split together in the select-statement and removed the
nnimap-split-rule:

;Primary select method set to nil (seems to be the new black...)
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")) ;Don't use primary select method, secondary methods are just as good

;All else is secondary methods
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods ;Easier to handle all methods the same way (i.e. as secondary select)
      '((nnimap "gmx" ;just a custom name of the server
	       (nnimap-address "imap.gmx.com") ;mail server name
	       (nnimap-server-port 993) ;alternative: 143
	       (nnimap-stream ssl)
	       (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
	       (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
	       (nnimap-split-fancy
		(|
		   ("from" "gramps-users-request@lists\\.sourceforge\\.net" "INBOX.Gramps")
;		   ("subject" "test" "INBOX.test")
		   (any "yggdrasil@gmx\\.co\\.uk" "INBOX.leftovers") ;Any others to <this email> put in this folder
		   "INBOX.unsorted"))) ;Anything not covered by the above, put in this folder
        (nnimap "gmail"
	       (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
	       (nnimap-server-port 993)
	       (nnimap-stream ssl)
	       (nnimap-inbox "INBOX"))
        (nntp "news.gmane.org") ;Connect to gmane news server
        (nnml "local") ;Read mail on local host as defined by the variable nnmail-spool-file
        (nntp "news.gnus.org"))) ;connect to gnus newsgroup

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
> Please read (info "(auth) GnuPG and EasyPG Assistant Configuration") for
> solutions to the passphrase issue.
I think this was updated, I got a more recent NoGnus from git and now it
uses the .authinfo file.

Thanks for the directions to lead me on the path of the righteous in
these times of darkness..!
--

@ 2011-02-21 20:25                           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-21 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:09:33 -0800 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> Please read (info "(auth) GnuPG and EasyPG Assistant Configuration") for
>> solutions to the passphrase issue.

LI> Hm.  epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption doesn't seem to
LI> exist?

It's a defcustom in lisp/epa-file.el in a recent Emacs checkout.  The
docs (written by Daiki Ueno, thank him!) explain several combinations...

Ted