* [Q]: ~/Mail directory
@ 2004-02-09  8:12 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-02-09  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I have a question about ~/Mail directory and its creation.

Given the fact I don't use it and have deleted it from my system
several times, how can this directory appear again ?

I don't know if it is gnus related or the basic C-x m (Mail from Emacs)
but one of them keeps creating this directory which annoy me :)

Any idea ?

Regards,
--
Xavier Maillard
7 rue Jeanne Jugan, 51100 Reims, France

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: [Q]: ~/Mail directory
@ 2004-02-09 20:41 ` Mark Plaksin
From: Mark Plaksin @ 2004-02-09 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a question about ~/Mail directory and its creation.
>
> Given the fact I don't use it and have deleted it from my system
> several times, how can this directory appear again ?

I set the following before starting Gnus so it doesn't create or write
to ~/Mail:

;; Main Gnus directory
(setq gnus-directory "~/src/mail")
;; Directory Gnus buffers will be in
(setq gnus-default-directory "~/src/mail")
;; Where to put the dribble file
(setq gnus-dribble-directory "~/src/mail")
;; Set directory for message
(setq message-directory "~/src/mail")

* Re: [Q]: ~/Mail directory
@ 2004-02-10  6:35   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-02-10  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 Feb 2004, Mark Plaksin uttered the following:

> > Given the fact I don't use it and have deleted it from my system
> > several times, how can this directory appear again ?
>
> I set the following before starting Gnus so it doesn't create or write
> to ~/Mail:
>
> ;; Main Gnus directory
> (setq gnus-directory "~/src/mail")
> ;; Directory Gnus buffers will be in
> (setq gnus-default-directory "~/src/mail")
> ;; Where to put the dribble file
> (setq gnus-dribble-directory "~/src/mail")
> ;; Set directory for message
> (setq message-directory "~/src/mail")

I personally set it as:

,----
| ;;;_ + Change default Gnus places. Avoid to see it in a 'ls' command
| (setq nnml-directory (concat xm-gnusdir xm-maildir)
|       gnus-cache-directory (concat xm-gnusdir "var/cache/")
|       gnus-directory xm-gnusdir
|       gnus-group-faq-directory nil
|       gnus-x-face-directory (concat xm-gnusdir "etc/faces/")
|       gnus-home-directory xm-gnusdir
|       gnus-kill-files-directory (concat xm-gnusdir "etc/scores/")
|       message-directory (concat xm-gnusdir xm-maildir)
|       gnus-agent-directory (concat xm-gnusdir "var/agent/")
|       gnus-audio-directory (concat xm-gnusdir "etc/audio/")
|       gnus-startup-file (concat xm-gnusdir "etc/newsrc")
|       nndraft-directory (concat xm-gnusdir xm-maildir "drafts/")
|       nnml-active-file (concat xm-gnusdir "etc/active"))
|

| (setq mail-source-directory (concat xm-gnusdir xm-maildir))
| (setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)
| (setq nnmail-tmp-directory (concat xm-gnusdir xm-maildir "tmp/"))
|
| (setq gnus-article-save-directory (concat xm-gnusdir "save/"))
`----

I think the only related missing thing I should have configure is the
`message-directory` variable.

I will change and see what happen.

Thank you for your enlightenment.

zeDek
--
GNUSFR.ORG                       http://gnusfr.org/
EMACSFR.ORG                      http://emacsfr.org/

@ 2004-02-10 13:28   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-02-10 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 09 2004, Mark Plaksin wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>> I have a question about ~/Mail directory and its creation.
>>
>> Given the fact I don't use it and have deleted it from my system
>> several times, how can this directory appear again ?
>
> I set the following before starting Gnus so it doesn't create or write
> to ~/Mail:
>
> ;; Main Gnus directory
> (setq gnus-directory "~/src/mail")
> ;; Directory Gnus buffers will be in
> (setq gnus-default-directory "~/src/mail")
> ;; Where to put the dribble file
> (setq gnus-dribble-directory "~/src/mail")
> ;; Set directory for message
> (setq message-directory "~/src/mail")

Setting `gnus-directory' and `message-directory' should be enough.  If
this isn't the case, please report it.  Maybe you can find out more
using `M-x apropos-value RET /Mail/ RET' or similar.

,----[ C-h v gnus-directory RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h v message-directory RET ]
| message-directory's value is "~/Mail/"
|
| *Directory from which all other mail file variables are derived.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: [Q]: ~/Mail directory
@ 2004-02-10 16:03     ` D. Michael McFarland
From: D. Michael McFarland @ 2004-02-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Setting `gnus-directory' and `message-directory' should be enough.

Apologies for jumping into the middle of this thread, but I expect one
of the resident experts here can save me from shooting myself in the
foot.

If I create the directories `~/.gnus.d' and `~/message.d' and set
`gnus-directory' and `message-directory' to them, gnus is happy but,
naturally, some state information is not found.  I know I need to move
some gnus- and message-specific files from ~/News and ~/Mail to the
new directories, but I'm not sure exactly which.  cache, agent,
drafts?  *.SCORE?  Others?  Or should I just leave well enough alone?
I'd like to move the gnusish bits out of ~/News and ~/Mail, but I
can't really claim to have a burning need to do so.  I'd appreciate
recommendations from those who know about the magic gnus does behind
the scenes.

Best regards,
Michael

--
D. Michael McFarland
Department of Aerospace Engineering

* Re: [Q]: ~/Mail directory
@ 2004-02-11 22:06       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-02-11 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Feb 2004, D. Michael McFarland said:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>
> > Setting `gnus-directory' and `message-directory' should be enough.
>
> Apologies for jumping into the middle of this thread, but I expect one
> of the resident experts here can save me from shooting myself in the
> foot.
>
> If I create the directories `~/.gnus.d' and `~/message.d' and set
> `gnus-directory' and `message-directory' to them, gnus is happy but,
> naturally, some state information is not found.  I know I need to move
> some gnus- and message-specific files from ~/News and ~/Mail to the
> new directories, but I'm not sure exactly which.  cache, agent,
> drafts?  *.SCORE?  Others?  Or should I just leave well enough alone?
> I'd like to move the gnusish bits out of ~/News and ~/Mail, but I
> can't really claim to have a burning need to do so.  I'd appreciate
> recommendations from those who know about the magic gnus does behind
> the scenes.

Give a try to my setup posted above.

zeDek
--
.o.  | Hacker wonderland
..o  |

@ 2004-07-18 23:58     ` Andrew J. Korty
From: Andrew J. Korty @ 2004-07-18 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: [Q]: ~/Mail directory
@ 2004-07-19 11:01       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-07-19 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 19 2004, Andrew J. Korty wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> [...]
>
>> Setting `gnus-directory' and `message-directory' should be enough.  If
>> this isn't the case, please report it.
>
> I also had to set gnus-cache-directory and gnus-nocem-directory.

Strange.  Both are derived directly or indirectly from
`gnus-directory':

,----
| (defcustom gnus-cache-directory
|   (nnheader-concat gnus-directory "cache/")
|   "*The directory where cached articles will be stored."
|   :group 'gnus-cache
|   :type 'directory)
|
| (defcustom gnus-nocem-directory
|   (nnheader-concat gnus-article-save-directory "NoCeM/")
|   "*Directory where NoCeM files will be stored."
|   :group 'gnus-nocem
|   :type 'directory)
|
| (defcustom gnus-article-save-directory gnus-directory
|   "*Name of the directory articles will be saved in (default \"~/News\")."
|   :group 'gnus-article-saving
|   :type 'directory)
`----

And `gnus-directory' defaults to `~/News' so I don't see why those
could be related to `~/Mail'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,