* Add another "nndraft" type ?
@ 2004-06-02 21:02 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-06-02 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I would like  to know if something like  templates would interest people
here.

In  fact I  often type  (repetitive) messages  (like  meeting reminders,
...) to send to people.

What I  currently miss  is a  way to keep  a copy  of such  message that
would be the base for other messages.  I call that template but I am not
sure of the terminology.

Is there something planned  for this ? What I am thinking  of, is to add
template as another nndraft (like draft) unexpirable, etc...

I would be pleased to red your opinions about that.

Regards,
--
Xavier Maillard
7 rue Jeanne Jugan, 51100 Reims, France

* Re: Add another "nndraft" type ?
@ 2004-06-03 16:33 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-06-03 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> What I  currently miss  is a  way to keep  a copy  of such  message that
> would be the base for other messages.  I call that template but I am not
> sure of the terminology.

Perhaps you can "just" use abbrevs?  I think that's a low-tech
mechanism that's underused.

Or keep each template in a file and use C-x i.

Or use skeleton to generate them.

Kai

* Re: Add another "nndraft" type ?
@ 2004-06-03 17:15   ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2004-06-03 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>> What I  currently miss  is a  way to keep  a copy  of such  message that
>> would be the base for other messages.  I call that template but I am not
>> sure of the terminology.

> Perhaps you can "just" use abbrevs?  I think that's a low-tech
> mechanism that's underused.

This can be painful if you have a lot of them, especially if some are
similar and you mix up which you want.

> Or keep each template in a file and use C-x i.

For a while I had a couple of nndraft articles that held initial
contents of things like scheduled outage messages and the like.  I
would B C them and then D E the copy.  That got old the first time I
accidentally ran D E on the main copy, though :-)

> Or use skeleton to generate them.

Not sure what you mean by skeleton, but eventually I discovered
tempo.el which is how I handle these things now.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Add another "nndraft" type ?
@ 2004-06-03 17:40   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-06-03 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  3 Jun 2004, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > What I currently miss  is a way to keep a copy  of such message that
> > would be the base for other  messages. I call that template but I am
> > not sure of the terminology.
>
> Perhaps you can "just" use abbrevs?  I think that's a low-tech
> mechanism that's underused.

Indeed.

> Or keep each template in a file and use C-x i.
>
> Or use skeleton to generate them.

Well all your solutions can work  but I'd rather dispose of some kind of
template support.

Anyway, I would  be glad if you could  show me how to use any  or all of
this solutions ;)

Regards,
--
  "GNU is my religion"

.O.  Xavier Maillard
..O   Reims - France
OOO  +33 6 68 04 64 37

* Re: Add another "nndraft" type ?
@ 2004-06-03 19:16     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-06-03 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  3 Jun 2004, David S. Goldberg wrote:

> > Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
> > > What I currently miss is a way to keep a copy of such message that
> > > would be the  base for other messages. I call  that template but I
> > > am not sure of the terminology.
>
> > Perhaps you can "just" use abbrevs?  I think that's a low-tech
> > mechanism that's underused.
>
> This can be painful if you have a lot of them, especially if some are
> similar and you mix up which you want.
>
> > Or keep each template in a file and use C-x i.
>
> For a while I had a couple of nndraft articles that held initial
> contents of things like scheduled outage messages and the like.  I
> would B C them and then D E the copy.  That got old the first time I
> accidentally ran D E on the main copy, though :-)
>
> > Or use skeleton to generate them.
>
> Not sure what you mean by skeleton, but eventually I discovered
> tempo.el which is how I handle these things now.

Any good example ? :)
--
Xavier MAILLARD (GnuPG: 1024D/1E028EA5)
EmacsOS user (http://emacsfr.org)

* Re: Add another "nndraft" type ?
@ 2004-06-03 20:16       ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2004-06-03 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've stripped this down horribly but I think it gives the right idea
(and it works as is).  After setting up a template like this you just

M-x tempo-template-outage-notice

And it prompts for the elements it needs, fills them in and inserts
the whole thing at point.  The doc string for tempo-define-template
describes the different format possibilities in detail.  I haven't
tried any but what's here.

(tempo-define-template "outage-notice" '((P "date: " outdate)
					 (P "time: " outtime)
					 (P "machine:" outsubj) "
NOTICE:

On "
					 (s outdate)
					 " at "
					 (s outtime)
					 ", "
					 (s outsubj)
					 " will be taken off line
for maintenance.  Send email to the help center if you have questions."))

--

@ 2004-06-04  6:13     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-06-04  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

>> Or keep each template in a file and use C-x i.
>
> For a while I had a couple of nndraft articles that held initial
> contents of things like scheduled outage messages and the like.  I
> would B C them and then D E the copy.  That got old the first time I
> accidentally ran D E on the main copy, though :-)

Yeah, but with the C-x i solution you can prevent accidental deletes
by making the directory and files read-only ;-)

>> Or use skeleton to generate them.
>
> Not sure what you mean by skeleton, but eventually I discovered
> tempo.el which is how I handle these things now.

There are functions define-skeleton and skeleton-insert.  This is
similar to tempo, so I think you don't need to switch.

Kai