From: Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org>
Subject: Re: Agent weirdness
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:31:10 +0100	[thread overview]

On 13 Jan 2004, Kevin Greiner<kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> said:
> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

 <snip>

> OK, let's start with what version of gnus are you running?

Fresh CVS copy.

>> Ok I did investigations and here is something I saw. Whenever I have
>> a network connection (ie I have my eth0 up), I can enter into an
>> agentized group (with agentized/cached articles). If a group doesn't
>> have any agentized article it fails which sounds good to me.
>
> Are you running plugged, or unplugged, during this test.

I have set in my .gnus: (setq gnus-plugged nil) so it should tell gnus
to be unplugged at startup.

>> Now the weirdness, If for a reason or another, I switch off the
>> network connection, Gnus:
>>
>> * fails to start correctly arguing it can't open nntp '.'
>> (news.nerim.net)
>> * if I continue, and try to enter a group containing agentized
>> articles, it fails too
>>
>> Giving the fact that when in train I don't have any network
>> connection, I won't be able to read agentized newsgroups.
>
> Try using (gnus-unplugged) to start gnus.

I just did and the point is with eth0 up, there is no problem for me
but if shut the network connection and launch gnus with
'gnus-unplugged', it complains at startup not to be able to open "nntp
blah blah blah, Do you want to continue (y or n) ?". If I say y, then
the server is marked as 'denied' in the server buffer (which is normal).

>> Is this the default behaviour ? I suppose it is not but it acts this
>> way here.
>>
>> AFAIK, I followed Gnus manual part on Agent and just checked I did
>> things correctly so...
>>
>> I really need help with that :)
>>
>> Why does Gnus complain it can't open news.nerim.net when it is
>> supposed to be _unplugged_ ??
>
> Being plugged, or unplugged, has very little to do with the
> availability of a network connection.

Hmm.

> If I am plugged but have no network connection, gnus will fail while
> attempting to open a connection.  This will result in the server being
> marked in accordance with gnus-server-unopen-status (by the way, what
> do you have this set to?).  Depending upon gnus-server-unopen-status,
> the server may be marked as either denied, offline, or you may be
> prompted as to what to do.

Here it is:

,----[ C-h v gnus-server-unopen-status RET ]

`----

> If I am unplugged but have a network connection, gnus will immediately
> mark all agentized servers as being offline while unagentized servers
> will be marked as denied.

Which is the normal behavior I should expect here too :)

zeDek
--
  "GNU is my religion"

.O.  Xavier Maillard