From: Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:09:19 +0200	[thread overview]

On 19 jui 2003, Jinhyok Heo said:

>  Well, I want to know how you send and receive mails when your guns is
>  not available?

My Gnus is agentized and I enjoy the (un)plugged  stuff of Gnus. So
when I am away from my local network and/or I can't use other SMTP
server than the one at work place, I do all in an unplugged session. So
all mails written are queued in the 'queue' group and then I am back
(actually on evening), I plug my Gnus and "shoot" all the queued mails.

Not really comfortable but at least it prevents me from using something
different.

>  Gnus is something that I cannot do without. But sometimes I am away
>  from my machine and it is hard to get good connection to my machine.
>  It is quite difficult to do something with a remote gnus due to the
>  slow connection.

Yep I know what you mean. In fact I am also fighting with this for ages
now and as I didn't find any simple solution and as my network
administrator is blocking/dropping all the interesting ports, I can't
really figure out how to do something interesting.

>  How do you manage this kind of situation? I wish to compare various
>  ways to enjoy email without gnus.

There is none. Actually this is how I see things :) Some people would
tell you to play with different MUA, but as I am not an evil guy, I
don't want to tell you bullshit :) Use Gnus or quit ! ;) In a last
resort, maybe you can try the 3LIT3 solution : netcat ? ;)

I think the easier solution would be to switch your mail server into an
IMAP one and then put your Gnus into an IMAP client. For my part, this
the only solution I can see (also for me) but as I don't want to use
webmail, it is definetely not a good solution to me. So I am still
playing with a local unplugged Gnus and I "synchronize" on evening.

zeDek
--
"Mailand oder Madrid - Hauptsache Italien!" (Andreas Moeller)