From: Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org>
Subject: Re: [POLL]: Procmail or native gnus splitting ?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:51:42 +0200	[thread overview]

On 15 jui 2003, Jesper Harder wrote:

>  Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> >  It is a consequence of the redaction of an article on 'how to get
> >  IMAP and Gnus play fairly together' on the Gnus French site
> >  [1]. There, I've been told not to talk about nnimap splitting
> >  feature because numerous people used to use procmail base filter to
> >  split their incoming mails.
>
>  I use both procmail and nnmail-split-fancy.
>
>  I normally read mail from a dial-up connection -- I don't want to
>  waste time and money downloading spam.  So I use procmail to send
>  spam to /dev/null on a permanently connected box.  I then use Gnus'
>  native splitting to sort my mail into different folders.
>
> >  In the same way, does procmail allows Gnus or any other MUA, to
> >  poll their mails directly
>
>  Yes.
>
> >  Sorry to bother but as long as nobody can show me the benefit at
> >  using procmail/fetmail stuff
>
>  fetchmail isn't really related to procmail.  fetchmail is a
>  replacement for pop3.el.  I use fetchmail because it's faster and has
>  more features than pop3.el.

Well as I can't answer to all of you, just a quick thanks to all of you
who have answered to this thread :)

AFAIK, this is still 50%-50% and even with some good explanations, I
still can't imagine myself trying to use an external tool to split my
mails.

For sure it depends on the conditions use. For my part, I am really
happy with all the gnus split thinggies and won't change that for a
while :)

Just by curiosity, I have read a few messages talking about sieve, what
is that ??

Regards,

zeDek
--
http://www.gnusfr.org -- French Gnus user site

Anti-war disclaimer:
	"Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity"