On 15 jui 2003, Jesper Harder wrote: > Xavier Maillard writes: > > > It is a consequence of the redaction of an article on 'how to get > > IMAP and Gnus play fairly together' on the Gnus French site > > [1]. There, I've been told not to talk about nnimap splitting > > feature because numerous people used to use procmail base filter to > > split their incoming mails. > > I use both procmail and nnmail-split-fancy. > > I normally read mail from a dial-up connection -- I don't want to > waste time and money downloading spam. So I use procmail to send > spam to /dev/null on a permanently connected box. I then use Gnus' > native splitting to sort my mail into different folders. > > > In the same way, does procmail allows Gnus or any other MUA, to > > poll their mails directly > > Yes. > > > Sorry to bother but as long as nobody can show me the benefit at > > using procmail/fetmail stuff > > fetchmail isn't really related to procmail. fetchmail is a > replacement for pop3.el. I use fetchmail because it's faster and has > more features than pop3.el. Well as I can't answer to all of you, just a quick thanks to all of you who have answered to this thread :) AFAIK, this is still 50%-50% and even with some good explanations, I still can't imagine myself trying to use an external tool to split my mails. For sure it depends on the conditions use. For my part, I am really happy with all the gnus split thinggies and won't change that for a while :) Just by curiosity, I have read a few messages talking about sieve, what is that ?? Regards, zeDek -- http://www.gnusfr.org -- French Gnus user site Anti-war disclaimer: "Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity"