* gnus-registry issue ?
@ 2003-07-18  6:08 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-07-18  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm fairly new at gnus-registry stuff but as I have understood this, I
would just need to require the module and then set a flag to tell to
use the registry, right ?

So I do that way :

(setq gnus-registry-install t)

This is supposed to work then and I should be good to call the
gnus-registry fancy split function in my splitting rules that way : ;;
(: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent), right ?

So why then, does this fail each time and put all my mails into the
bogus group then ?

All I can do is that it tells me that my nnmail-fancy-split is
errorneous :(

Is there any other particular thing to do before I can use
gnus-registry stuff ? Or am I (still) missing something ?

For the curious, here is an excerpt of my current fancy splitting rules
set :

,----
| (setq nnmail-crosspost nil
|        nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy
|        ;bbdb/gnus-split-default-group nil
|        ;bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function nil
|        ;bbdb/gnus-split-myaddr-regexp gnus-ignored-from-addresses
|        gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups
|        (regexp-opt '("mail.rohrpost"
| 		     "mail.guile"
| 		     "mail.gnutella"
| 		     "mail.emacs.devel"
|
| 		     "mail.emacs.ilisp"))
|        nnmail-split-fancy
|        '(|
| 	 (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
|

| 	 (: spam-split)
|        ;; other rules
`----

Any idea ?

Regards,

zeDek
--
http://www.gnusfr.org -- French Gnus user site

Anti-war disclaimer:
	"Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity"

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: gnus-registry issue ?
@ 2003-07-21 15:36 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-07-21 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:
> (setq gnus-registry-install t)
>
> This is supposed to work then and I should be good to call the
> gnus-registry fancy split function in my splitting rules that way :
> ;; (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent), right ?
>
> So why then, does this fail each time and put all my mails into the
> bogus group then ?
>
> All I can do is that it tells me that my nnmail-fancy-split is
> errorneous :(
>
> Is there any other particular thing to do before I can use
> gnus-registry stuff ? Or am I (still) missing something ?

Do M-x toggle-debug-on-error, then open an article that gives you the
error.  Hit 't' in the article buffer to show all headers, then do

M-: (gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)

The stack trace will be helpful, if you get one.  Also, the contents
of your registry file would be useful for debugging.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: gnus-registry issue ?
@ 2003-07-22 23:31   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-07-22 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 jui 2003, Ted Zlatanov said:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:
> >  (setq gnus-registry-install t)
> >
> >  This is supposed to work then and I should be good to call the
> >  gnus-registry fancy split function in my splitting rules that way :
> >
> >  So why then, does this fail each time and put all my mails into the
> >  bogus group then ?
> >
> >  All I can do is that it tells me that my nnmail-fancy-split is
> >  errorneous :(
> >
> >  Is there any other particular thing to do before I can use
> >  gnus-registry stuff ? Or am I (still) missing something ?
>
>  Do M-x toggle-debug-on-error, then open an article that gives you the
>  error.  Hit 't' in the article buffer to show all headers, then do
>
>  M-: (gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
>
>  The stack trace will be helpful, if you get one.  Also, the contents
>  of your registry file would be useful for debugging.
>
>  Thanks
>  Ted

Dunno if it can help, but it seems it fails for _ALL_ my mails so maybe
I have done something wrong. Did I ?

How am I supposed to use this module (can you explain in quick and
simple step howto setup things ?) ?

zeDek
--
"Natuerlich. Der Stamm Levi versucht staendig, den Stammesnamen
 irgendwie gross raus zu bringen. Das ist alles. Ob nun per Levis-Jeans

@ 2003-07-23 14:46     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-07-23 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:
> On 21 jui 2003, Ted Zlatanov said:
>>  Do M-x toggle-debug-on-error, then open an article that gives you
>>  the error.  Hit 't' in the article buffer to show all headers,
>>  then do
>>
>>  M-: (gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
>>
>>  The stack trace will be helpful, if you get one.  Also, the
>>  contents of your registry file would be useful for debugging.
>
> Dunno if it can help, but it seems it fails for _ALL_ my mails so
> maybe I have done something wrong. Did I ?
>
> How am I supposed to use this module (can you explain in quick and
> simple step howto setup things ?) ?

First of all, do what I asked above so I can see what's failing for
you.

To use the registry you have to do:

(setq gnus-registry-install t)
(require 'gnus-registry)

From that point on, it's automatic.  If your gnus-verbose is high you
will see a message every time an article is moved, copied, deleted, or
spooled.  I'm not documenting the gnus-registry yet, because it's
likely to change again.  I need to use it for tracking spam/ham
registration and that might require changes of the functionality or
the registry file/data format.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: gnus-registry issue ?
@ 2003-07-24  6:22       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-07-24  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 jui 2003, Ted Zlatanov verbalised:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:
> >  On 21 jui 2003, Ted Zlatanov said:
> > >  Do M-x toggle-debug-on-error, then open an article that gives you
> > >  the error.  Hit 't' in the article buffer to show all headers,
> > >  then do
> > >
> > >  M-: (gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
> > >
> > >  The stack trace will be helpful, if you get one.  Also, the
> > >  contents of your registry file would be useful for debugging.
> >
> >  Dunno if it can help, but it seems it fails for _ALL_ my mails so
> >  maybe I have done something wrong. Did I ?
> >
> >  How am I supposed to use this module (can you explain in quick and
> >  simple step howto setup things ?) ?
>
>  First of all, do what I asked above so I can see what's failing for
>  you.

Okay here it is then :

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument hash-table-p nil)
  gethash("<1058428979.481.2.camel@targa>" nil)
  gnus-registry-group-count("<1058428979.481.2.camel@targa>")
  gnus-registry-fetch-group("<1058428979.481.2.camel@targa>")
  #[(x) "Ä\b!†\a\0	\x11Å	\n\"„\x16\0Å	\v\"…\x19\0Ɖ\x11‡" [x res gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent-ignore-groups gnus-registry-fetch-group gnus-registry-grep-in-list nil] 3]("<1058428979.481.2.camel@targa>")
  mapcar(#[(x) "Ä\b!†\a\0	\x11Å	\n\"„\x16\0Å	\v\"…\x19\0Ɖ\x11‡" [x res gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent-ignore-groups gnus-registry-fetch-group gnus-registry-grep-in-list nil] 3] ("<1058428979.481.2.camel@targa>"))
  gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent()
  eval((gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent))
  eval-expression((gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent) nil)
  call-interactively(eval-expression)

>  To use the registry you have to do:
>
>  (setq gnus-registry-install t)
>  (require 'gnus-registry)

This is what I currently use.

[...]

zeDek
--
"Was kann schon auf dem harten Boden der Tatsachen gedeihen" (Lec)

@ 2003-07-25 19:16         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-07-25 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument hash-table-p nil)
>   gethash("<1058428979.481.2.camel@targa>" nil)

Strange, your registry variable (gnus-registry-hashtb) is nil.  Maybe
you are setting it somewhere, customized perhaps?  Normally it will
get set up as a hashtable when you load gnus-registry.el.

Ted

* Re: gnus-registry issue ?
@ 2003-07-26  7:41           ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-07-26  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:
> >  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument hash-table-p
> >  nil) gethash("<1058428979.481.2.camel@targa>" nil)
>
>  Strange, your registry variable (gnus-registry-hashtb) is nil.  Maybe
>  you are setting it somewhere, customized perhaps?  Normally it will
>  get set up as a hashtable when you load gnus-registry.el.

I didn't set it up. I just did what you wrote in your previous message
and that's it.

FYI here it is after my latest g-g-g-n-n :

,----[ C-h v gnus-registry-hashtb RET ]

`----

>  Ted

zeDek
--
"This is why god invented the Red Hat Package Manager:
 $ rpm -i application.rpm" (Brian Kimball)

@ 2003-07-26 14:31             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-07-26 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>>  Strange, your registry variable (gnus-registry-hashtb) is nil.
>>  Maybe you are setting it somewhere, customized perhaps?  Normally
>>  it will get set up as a hashtable when you load gnus-registry.el.
>
> I didn't set it up. I just did what you wrote in your previous
> message and that's it.
>
> FYI here it is after my latest g-g-g-n-n :
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-registry-hashtb RET ]
> | gnus-registry-hashtb's value is
> | #<hash-table 'equal nil 9410/13824 0x9346af0>
> |
> | *The article registry by Message ID.
> |
> | Defined in `gnus-registry'.
> `----

Well, this function is failing in gnus-registry.el:

(defun gnus-registry-group-count (id)
  "Get the number of groups of a message, based on the message ID."
  (let ((trail (gethash id gnus-registry-hashtb)))
    (if (and trail (listp trail))
    (apply '+ (mapcar (lambda (x) (if (stringp x) 1 0)) trail))
      0)))

and it's failing when it tries to get the id from the
gnus-registry-hashtb, which is nil in the stack trace you sent me.

I think I see the problem.  gnus-registry-read must be called so the
gnus-registry-hashtb variable is initialized (the
gnus-registry-install variable has to be set for that to happen, and
you must read the newsrc).  Somehow one of the two things didn't
happen for you in sequence when you did the stack trace.  I just put
an explicit gnus-registry-read in the gnus-registry.el loading when
gnus-registry-install is set, that should take care of any possible
uninitialized registry variable cases.  See the latest Gnus CVS and
let me know if you have any more problem.

Thanks
Ted