* us-ascii is not in the db; add?
@ 2004-03-24  7:15 Andreas J Koenig
From: Andreas J Koenig @ 2004-03-24  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

this s a bug report against Gnus, current CVS (well, five days old),
bug may as well be a BBDB bug (my BBDB is Debian's
2.34.cvs20020418-2):

Today I got a mail with the following (slightly censored) From header:

  From: =?us-ascii?Q?Holger_XXXX?= <Holger.XXXX@XXX.XXX.com>

Strange enough, there were really just ASCII characters in the header,
but that's something you can get out of

Gnus displayed the From header just fine, but when I hit ";" to store
the sender in my bbdb, I was asked:

  us-ascii is not in the db; add?

Any suggestions? Gnus bug or bbdb bug?

Thanks,
--
andreas

* Re: us-ascii is not in the db; add?
@ 2004-03-24  9:54 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-03-24  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas J Koenig <andreas.koenig <at> anima.de> writes:

> Hi,

Yo,

> Any suggestions? Gnus bug or bbdb bug?

Hmm why not ask this to the BBDB list ? I am not familiar with BBDB internal but
they surely have implemented their own routine to fetch headers. Or maybe it
depends on how you activated your BBDB i.e did you tell to use gnus ? Maybe BBDB
is adapting itself to the MUA you use and thus use the gnus-fetch-header
functions ?

Regards,

zeDek

* Re: us-ascii is not in the db; add?
@ 2004-03-24 12:37 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-03-24 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 24 2004, Andreas J Koenig wrote:

> this s a bug report against Gnus, current CVS (well, five days old),
> bug may as well be a BBDB bug (my BBDB is Debian's
> 2.34.cvs20020418-2):
>
> Today I got a mail with the following (slightly censored) From header:
>
>   From: =?us-ascii?Q?Holger_XXXX?= <Holger.XXXX@XXX.XXX.com>
>
> Strange enough, there were really just ASCII characters in the header,
> but that's something you can get out of

> Gnus displayed the From header just fine, but when I hit ";" to store
> the sender in my bbdb, I was asked:
>
>   us-ascii is not in the db; add?

I cannot reproduce this bug with current Gnus (CVS) and BBDB 2.35
(CVS) and the example "From:" you gave.  BBDB correctly adds "Holger
XXXX".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: us-ascii is not in the db; add?
@ 2004-03-25 20:11   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-03-25 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> I cannot reproduce this bug with current Gnus (CVS) and BBDB 2.35
> (CVS) and the example "From:" you gave.  BBDB correctly adds "Holger
> XXXX".

Same here with same versions.

zeDek
--
Xavier Maillard, zedek@gnu-rox.org

* Re: us-ascii is not in the db; add?
@ 2004-04-05 11:24     ` Andreas J Koenig
From: Andreas J Koenig @ 2004-04-05 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
 >> I cannot reproduce this bug with current Gnus (CVS) and BBDB 2.35
 >> (CVS) and the example "From:" you gave.  BBDB correctly adds "Holger
 >> XXXX".

  > Same here with same versions.

Thanks to all who answered my question. In the meantime I have
received more mails from the two people who initially had triggered
the problem I described, but now everything behaves as it should. So
there probably was something in my environment that caused the buggy
behaviour which I cannot reproduce anymore.

I'll let you know when it reappears *and* I learn how to reproduce it.

Thanks again,
--
andreas