* um, highlighting/fonts/something broken in CVS?
@ 2003-12-22 18:45 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-12-22 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, I updated gnus a few days ago and now my gnus-highlight package
doesn't work anymore and it's possible other fonts are messed up as
well (but I'm still looking for a definite answer on that).  It seems
that custom-declare-face now, um, isn't?

In fact, (facep xxx) is now returning nil for just about everything I
try it on:

  (facep 'gnus-group-news-1-face)  -> nil

Does that work for anyone?  I'm tempted to go back to my pre-update to
check, but ...  well, just tried a friends (out-of-date CVS) and it
didn't work there.  So, hmm...

Has anything changed face-wise in gnus recently?

[This is in XEmacs, btw].

Still searching...

* Re: um, highlighting/fonts/something broken in CVS?
@ 2003-12-22 19:17 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-12-22 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes> So, I updated gnus a few days ago and now my gnus-highlight
Wes> package doesn't work anymore and it's possible other fonts are
Wes> messed up as well (but I'm still looking for a definite answer on
Wes> that).  It seems that custom-declare-face now, um, isn't?

Odd...  facep seems to return nil for symbols now.  I don't get how
this could have changed by updating gnus, but that's all I did.  Very
weird.

Anyway, I fixed my code at least by no longer testing to see if the
symbol is a valid face.  This doesn't seem wise, but I guess now errors
in a font specification will cause real errors (as opposed to
previously being ignored).

This works:

  (facep (get-face 'highlight))

But of course, you'd have to trap the error now that get-face would
throw if highlight wasn't define.

* Re: um, highlighting/fonts/something broken in CVS?
@ 2003-12-22 20:18   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-12-22 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> Odd...  facep seems to return nil for symbols now.  I don't get how
> this could have changed by updating gnus, but that's all I did.  Very
> weird.

That appears to be an XEmacs incompatibility.  In Emacs:

     (facep 'highlight) => [face unspecified ...]

* Re: um, highlighting/fonts/something broken in CVS?
@ 2003-12-22 23:13 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-12-22 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)