* [POLL]: gmane, gnus.ding or list ?
@ 2004-09-18 18:27 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-09-18 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Just a quick (and OT) question on the best way to read the ding
ml.

What is the recommended way of doing this ?

I mean, it seems there are huges differences (at least here) in
the achemining time for a message.

I prefer not to use ML (so I don't overload only one host). I
actually have 3 sources to be sure I can get all messages (not
convenient) but certain messages appear in one group but not the
other one (??).

Is gnus.ding better to use than its gmane equivalent ?

What are the big differences between the two ?

Thank you
--
Xavier Maillard, zedek@gnu-rox.org

* Re: [POLL]: gmane, gnus.ding or list ?
@ 2004-09-19 20:01 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-09-19 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 18 2004, Xavier Maillard wrote:

> Is gnus.ding better to use than its gmane equivalent ?
>
> What are the big differences between the two ?

I prefer (Gmane) newsgroups over mailing lists.  The main difference
between nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general and
nntp://news.gnus.org/gnus.ding should be the better spam filtering on
Gmane.  At least in gnus.gnus-bug there's more spam then in gegg and
other Gmane groups when filtering on gmane.spam.detected.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: [POLL]: gmane, gnus.ding or list ?
@ 2004-09-19 20:45   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-09-19 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> At least in gnus.gnus-bug there's more spam then in gegg and other
> Gmane groups when filtering on gmane.spam.detected.

Yeah, gnus-bug is really heavily hit by by spam.  Maybe it'd be nice
to have it on gmane if it could increase the signal/noise ratio.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>

* Re: [POLL]: gmane, gnus.ding or list ?
@ 2004-09-20  5:38     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-09-20  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 sep 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>
> > At least in gnus.gnus-bug there's more spam then in gegg and
> > other Gmane groups when filtering on gmane.spam.detected.
>
> Yeah, gnus-bug is really heavily hit by by spam. Maybe it'd be
> nice to have it on gmane if it could increase the signal/noise
> ratio.

According to your taste, the recommended group is to use gmane.
Why then Lars is maintaining news.gnus.org when he is
doing/working on gmane ?

Just curious.

/me who is about to switch back to gmane...
--
 In Gruuik we trust

* Re: [POLL]: gmane, gnus.ding or list ?
@ 2004-09-20 21:22       ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-09-20 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> On 19 sep 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:
>
>> Yeah, gnus-bug is really heavily hit by by spam. Maybe it'd be
>> nice to have it on gmane if it could increase the signal/noise
>> ratio.
>
> According to your taste, the recommended group is to use gmane.

Well, no, I don't actually use gmane, because I need to fetch
gnus.gnus-bug from news.gnus.org anyway, so I might as well get
gnus.ding from the same place.

--

@ 2004-09-20 21:55         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-09-20 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 sep 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > On 19 sep 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:
> >
> > > Yeah, gnus-bug is really heavily hit by by spam. Maybe it'd
> > > be nice to have it on gmane if it could increase the
> > > signal/noise ratio.
> >
> > According to your taste, the recommended group is to use
> > gmane.
>
> Well, no, I don't actually use gmane, because I need to fetch
> gnus.gnus-bug from news.gnus.org anyway, so I might as well get
> gnus.ding from the same place.

Just another question: can I get an archived message from google
when using gmane groups ? (in general not gnus specific)

I can't find an easy way to this.
--
      Xavier Maillard| "Stand Back! I'm a programmer!"
.0.             zedek@gnu-rox.orgz|

* Re: [POLL]: gmane, gnus.ding or list ?
@ 2004-09-21  1:25           ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2004-09-21  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the 20th of September 2004 at 23:55, Xavier Maillard <zedek#gnu-rox.org> wrote:

> Just another question: can I get an archived message from google
> when using gmane groups ? (in general not gnus specific)
>
> I can't find an easy way to this.

try:

(setq gnus-refer-article-method
      '(current
	(nntp "news.gmane.org")
	(nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))
	))

(alter this variable to your needs, ie. add your local news server).

hth,
 m.m.
--
 use gnus, not guns!

* Re: [POLL]: gmane, gnus.ding or list ?
@ 2004-09-22 16:25             ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-09-22 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 sep 2004, Maciej Matysiak wrote:

> On the 20th of September 2004 at 23:55, Xavier Maillard <zedek#gnu-rox.org> wrote:
>
> > Just another question: can I get an archived message from
> > google when using gmane groups ? (in general not gnus
> > specific)
> >
> > I can't find an easy way to this.
>
> try:
>
> (setq gnus-refer-article-method
> '(current
> 	(nntp "news.gmane.org")
> 	(nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))
> 	))
>
> (alter this variable to your needs, ie. add your local news
> server).

In fact here is mine:

,----[ C-h v gnus-refer-article-method RET ]
| gnus-refer-article-method's value is
| (current
|  (nntp "news.gnu-rox.org")
|  (nntp "news.nerim.net")
|  (nnweb "google"
|         (nnweb-type google))
|  (nntp "news.gmane.org"))
|

| Preferred method for fetching an article by Message-ID.
| If you are reading news from the local spool (with nnspool), fetching
| articles by Message-ID is painfully slow.  By setting this method to an
| nntp method, you might get acceptable results.
|
| The value of this variable must be a valid select method as discussed
| in the documentation of `gnus-select-method'.
|
| It can also be a list of select methods, as well as the special symbol
| `current', which means to use the current select method.  If it is a
| list, Gnus will try all the methods in the list until it finds a match.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `gnus'.
`----

The problem has been solved simply by checking my .gnus.el which
contained duplicate entries :)

--
Hacker Wonderland      Xavier Maillard| "Stand Back! I'm a programmer!"

@ 2004-09-27  5:24 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2004-09-27  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is gnus.ding better to use than its gmane equivalent ?

> What are the big differences between the two ?

gnus.ding predates gmane.  The gmane.emacs.gnus.general carries the
same articles, and has the benefit of improvements to the gmane system
(searching, spam filtering etc.).