* nnrss problem: old become new ??
@ 2004-05-30 17:42 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-05-30 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

As a heavy nnrss user, I'd like to see some improvements.

Maybe it is already done and I don't use it the right way...

So let's begin.

I am  always facing  the same annoyance  when reading RSS  feeds withing
Gnus. It seems Gnus is not able  to keep track of my readings and always
show me  the old  (read) entries as  new (unread)  ones ! This  is quite
annoying because it forces me to enter the group to check what is new.

Is there any  way I can prevent nnrss  backend to act that way  ? I mean
can't it try to smartly track articles just the same as other backends ?

For instance, whenever I read an  article, I clearly see the 'R' mark, I
still can  set the 'E'  'r' ... marks.  Exiting the group  and returning
into it is ok.  But whenever I g-g-n (ie. 'g' in  the group server), the
contents of my nnrss groups are updated with bad informations.

SOmething weird:  if I tick  a read message,  exit the group  and g-g-n,
the ticked article is not shown as new (and unread) but is still ticked.

It seems only ticked articles are ok but others aren't.

I don't know  if it is doable or  not but my guess is  that it shouldn't
be too hard to implement this.

Once again, maybe I misuse it and  in this case I would like you to help
me configure it.

Regards,
--
Registered Linux-User #340967 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.

* Re: nnrss problem: old become new ??
@ 2004-05-30 18:24 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-05-30 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> I am  always facing  the same annoyance  when reading RSS  feeds withing
> Gnus. It seems Gnus is not able  to keep track of my readings and always
> show me  the old  (read) entries as  new (unread)  ones !
>
> Is there any  way I can prevent nnrss  backend to act that way  ? I mean
> can't it try to smartly track articles just the same as other
> backends ?

It works for me.

I don't know what's wrong in your setup, but as start you could look
in .newsrc.eld to see if the "seen" entries for rss are right.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>

* Re: nnrss problem: old become new ??
@ 2004-05-31  6:19   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-05-31  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 May 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > I am always facing the same annoyance when reading RSS feeds withing
> > Gnus. It  seems Gnus is  not able to  keep track of my  readings and
> > always show me the old (read) entries as new (unread) ones !
> >
> > Is there  any way I can  prevent nnrss backend  to act that way  ? I
> > mean can't it  try to smartly track articles just  the same as other
> > backends ?
>
> It works for me.
>
> I don't know what's wrong in your setup, but as start you could look
> in .newsrc.eld to see if the "seen" entries for rss are right.

According  to  this nnrss  entry  (see below),  it  seems  to match  the
current situation:

,----
| ("nnrss:Finding Lisp" (2 . 1) ((1 . 6) 18 (22 . 23) (25 . 29) (33 . 33))
| ((seen  (1 .  33))  (cache 5)  (tick  5)) (nnrss  "") ((timestamp  16570
| 52286)))
`----

This is a new RSS entry I  added yesterday evening. Here we can see that
entry 1 to 33 has been seen  (which seems ok). The weird thing is: there
are/were only 20 (or  21 articles). So I guess, I had  12 or 13 old seen
articles fetched again during the g-g-n which is bad.

Am I wrong ?

--

@ 2004-05-31 17:15     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-05-31 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> ,----
> | ("nnrss:Finding Lisp" (2 . 1) ((1 . 6) 18 (22 . 23) (25 . 29) (33 . 33))
> | ((seen  (1 .  33))  (cache 5)  (tick  5)) (nnrss  "") ((timestamp  16570
> | 52286)))
> `----
>
> This is a new RSS entry I  added yesterday evening. Here we can see that
> entry 1 to 33 has been seen  (which seems ok). The weird thing is: there
> are/were only 20 (or  21 articles). So I guess, I had  12 or 13 old seen
> articles fetched again during the g-g-n which is bad.

Does this mean that you have multiple articles for the same RSS item?

--

@ 2004-06-01  5:02       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-06-01  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31 May 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > ,----
> > > ("nnrss:Finding Lisp" (2 . 1) ((1 .  6) 18 (22 . 23) (25 . 29) (33
> > > . 33)) ((seen (1 . 33)) (cache 5) (tick 5)) (nnrss "") ((timestamp
> > > 16570 52286)))
> > `----
> >
> > This is a  new RSS entry I added yesterday evening.  Here we can see
> > that entry 1  to 33 has been seen (which seems  ok). The weird thing
> > is: there are/were only 20 (or 21 articles). So I guess, I had 12 or
> > 13 old seen articles fetched again during the g-g-n which is bad.
>
> Does this mean that you have multiple articles for the same RSS item?

Not at  the same  time but definetely  yes, when  g-g-n is done,  my old
read content is back in the nnrss groups.

Regards,
--
.o.   Xavier Maillard            Tel: +33 6 68 04 64 37
..o

* Re: nnrss problem: old become new ??
@ 2004-06-01 11:34         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-06-01 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> On 31 May 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:
>
>> Does this mean that you have multiple articles for the same RSS item?
>
> Not at  the same  time but definetely  yes, when  g-g-n is done,  my old
> read content is back in the nnrss groups.

Do you do agressive expiration in the RSS groups?  (if the old items
are expired before the next g-g-n, then Gnus doesn't know that the
items aren't new).

Also, look at one of the *.el files ~/News/rss/ -- maybe you can
figure out what's going on by examining it at different points.

--

@ 2004-06-01 21:21           ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-06-01 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  1 Jun 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > On 31 May 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:
> >
> > > Does this  mean that you have  multiple articles for  the same RSS
> > > item?
> >
> > Not at the same time but  definetely yes, when g-g-n is done, my old
> > read content is back in the nnrss groups.
>
> Do you do agressive expiration in the RSS groups? (if the old items

What do you mean ??

AFAIK, my current configuration is set like this:

1. (expiry-wait . immediate)
2. (expiry-target . delete)

My  nnrss groups  are not  auto-expirable  (explicitly set  to nil)  but
total-expire is on.

When I read an article, its mark  is set to 'R'. I can explicitly expire
articles by hand (ie 'E' on articles). When I leave a group, it is ok.

> are expired before the next g-g-n, then Gnus doesn't know that the
> items aren't new).

How can I verify what is the current marks state for a group ?

> Also, look at one of the *.el files ~/News/rss/ -- maybe you can
> figure out what's going on by examining it at different points.

Hmm, I will try to investigate a little further...
--
 In Gruuik we trust