From: Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org>
Subject: Agent weirdness (was: [Pb]: Denied access when unplugged ?)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:13:46 +0100	[thread overview]

On 12 Jan 2004, Xavier Maillard<zedek@gnu-rox.org> said:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem here with _one_ server with nntp backend.
>
> It is the primary select method (nntp news.nerim.net). All my nntp
> servers should be agentized but this one seems to 'loose' its
> agentized status whenever it is unplugged.
>
> Furthermore, when working in train (so not connected), in the server
> buffer this server is diplayed with a 'denied' word.
>
> I have another nntp backend here which works just as expected: offline
> when I am offline and it is agentized. I still can access it when
> offline.
>
> What should I check to correct this problem ? In fact when Gnus
> starts, it always indicates me that news.nerim.net is not available
> and ask whether I want to continue or not. I can't figure out what to
> correct. I do remember clearly it has already happened before but it
> should have disappeared without any intervention by me.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> zeDek

Ok I did investigations and here is something I saw. Whenever I have a
network connection (ie I have my eth0 up), I can enter into an
agentized group (with agentized/cached articles). If a group doesn't
have any agentized article it fails which sounds good to me.

Now the weirdness, If for a reason or another, I switch off the network
connection, Gnus:

* fails to start correctly arguing it can't open nntp '.'
  (news.nerim.net)
* if I continue, and try to enter a group containing agentized
  articles, it fails too

Giving the fact that when in train I don't have any network connection,
I won't be able to read agentized newsgroups.

Is this the default behaviour ? I suppose it is not but it acts this
way here.

AFAIK, I followed Gnus manual part on Agent and just checked I did
things correctly so...

I really need help with that :)

Why does Gnus complain it can't open news.nerim.net when it is supposed
to be _unplugged_ ??

Thank you,

Regards,

zeDek