From: Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org>
Subject: Re: 'g' : get-new-news and fetch articles with agent and other
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:21:25 +0100	[thread overview]

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

>> Any solution ?
>
> gnus-agent-fetch-session ('J s' in the group buffer) and
> gnus-agent-fetch-group ('J S' in the group buffer) offer the
> functionality that you are requesting.  You should be able to create a
> hook function that, when added to gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook,
> will invoke the appropriate fetch function.

Yup done. Quite easy ;)

>> Another bad thing occured too. I have set 'nnmail-use-long-names' to t and since
>> then, simply entering take a lonnnggg time (ie, it reloads the whole active file
>> or whatever from the server). I have moved all my old directory to the new one
>> replacing all '/' by '.' and Gnus seems to be blind  behind this change even
>> after an gnus-agent-regenerate-groups.
>
> nnagent uses nnmail to read offline articles hence the dependency on
> nnmail-use-long-file-names.  Changing the value of

Yup saw it reading the code.

> nnmail-use-long-file-names is certainly a bad thing to do in that
> gnus-agent will not be able to find anything that it previously
> fetched.  However, it should work if you either deleted the news/agent
> hierarchy or, as you indicated, manually renamed the paths.  Have you

What do you mean by that ?

> By the way, is the performance impact on imap groups, nntp groups, or
> both?

In fact, performance are getting worst. Entering a NNTP group is so
long I could take a cup a coffee each time I enter one. Dunno though if
it is related to my changes :) What I think is that Gnus is totally
lost whith these changes. Even with regeneration of agent groups
doesn't help. I have articles fetched that are displaid as not and vice
versa. Quite weird.

Not that performance only aplly for nntp groups since I recently
switched to nnimap.

I have other problems with IMAP though.

I told gnus to split my mail from 'INBOX'. I have a default rule (sort
of catch-all group) named INBOX.mail in which I should see all mails
that didn't match to previous rules. My problem is that the 'INBOX'
group contain plenty of articles in it and numerous of them are only
contained in this group. I thought the INBOX group would be empty. Am I
wrong with it ?

zeDek
--
 In Gruuik we trust