* gnus-registry, speed up splitting ?
@ 2003-11-30 22:33 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-11-30 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again

Since I use gnus-registry stuff, it seems to me that my gnus is much
more responsive especially when splitting.

Does anybody have the same impression or is it the 'fault' of my new
laptop ?

zeDek

* Re: gnus-registry, speed up splitting ?
@ 2003-12-01 21:03 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-12-01 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:

> Since I use gnus-registry stuff, it seems to me that my gnus is much
> more responsive especially when splitting.
>
> Does anybody have the same impression or is it the 'fault' of my new
> laptop ?

Do you mean "less responsive"?  I'll assume so.

Of course, any extra processing done while splitting will mean that
splitting takes longer.  There's no way to avoid that.  The registry
uses hashtables to speed up lookups - they should be quite fast.
Regardless, for every reference in the article, we look up the groups
it is in - we exit at the first match, but that may still go through
all the references in the worst case.

If you want, look at the code and see if there are any obvious
inefficient parts.  I tried to implement it for speed.

Ted

* Re: gnus-registry, speed up splitting ?
@ 2003-12-01 22:51   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-12-01 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> disait récemment que :

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:
>
>> Since I use gnus-registry stuff, it seems to me that my gnus is much
>> more responsive especially when splitting.
>>
>> Does anybody have the same impression or is it the 'fault' of my new
>> laptop ?
>
> Do you mean "less responsive"?  I'll assume so.

No I had the impression (but I may be wrong), that it was quicker ;)

> Of course, any extra processing done while splitting will mean that
> splitting takes longer.  There's no way to avoid that.  The registry
> uses hashtables to speed up lookups - they should be quite fast.
> Regardless, for every reference in the article, we look up the groups
> it is in - we exit at the first match, but that may still go through
> all the references in the worst case.
>
> If you want, look at the code and see if there are any obvious
> inefficient parts.  I tried to implement it for speed.

I will try but I am quite busy atm :)

@ 2003-12-02  1:47     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-12-02  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> disait récemment que :
>
>> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:
>>
>>> Since I use gnus-registry stuff, it seems to me that my gnus is
>>> much more responsive especially when splitting.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have the same impression or is it the 'fault' of my
>>> new laptop ?
>>
>> Do you mean "less responsive"?  I'll assume so.
>
> No I had the impression (but I may be wrong), that it was quicker ;)

OK, your subject header was misleading, it seemed you want me to
"speed up splitting."  I undertsand now.  Maybe the registry is
finding matches sooner, so the rest of the spam checks don't need to
be made?

As you can see, I can provide plausible reasons for why the registry
would make things slower or faster :)  It's not a O(1) operation,
that's the bottom line.  The speed depends on too many things.

Ted

* Re: gnus-registry, speed up splitting ?
@ 2003-12-02  6:33       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-12-02  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> disait récemment que :

> On Mon, 01 Dec 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:
>
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> disait récemment que :

>>> Do you mean "less responsive"?  I'll assume so.
>>
>> No I had the impression (but I may be wrong), that it was quicker ;)
>
> OK, your subject header was misleading, it seemed you want me to
> "speed up splitting."  I undertsand now.  Maybe the registry is
> finding matches sooner, so the rest of the spam checks don't need to
> be made?

Yeah maybe. Do you (or don't you think) that increasing
'gnus-registry-max-entries' value could speed-up things ? What is the
*real* impact of setting this variable to a low-value or a high-value ?

> As you can see, I can provide plausible reasons for why the registry
> would make things slower or faster :)  It's not a O(1) operation,
> that's the bottom line.  The speed depends on too many things.

Yes I can understand that but anyway, 2 months ago, it didn't work at
all for me (remember my posts) and now, it is just great ;)

@ 2003-12-02 22:28         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-12-02 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003, zedek@gnu-rox.org wrote:

> Do you (or don't you think) that increasing
> 'gnus-registry-max-entries' value could speed-up things ? What is
> the *real* impact of setting this variable to a low-value or a
> high-value ?

Higher value = more memory and disk used, more matches will be found
Lower  value = less memory and disk used, less matches will be found

Note that the registry will accumulate entries without limit during an
Emacs session.  It's the *saved* registry (in ~/.gnus.registry.eld)
that will keep just the newest N entries if gnus-registry-max-entries
is set.

Ted