* Mailcrypt vs PGG
@ 2003-04-03 11:12 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-04-03 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

No flame here :) I just want to know what are the advantages and the
drawbacks of each solution.

Anyone has clues about that ?

Thanx,

zeDek
--
http://www.gnusfr.org -- French Gnus user site

Anti-war disclaimer:
	"Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity"

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Mailcrypt vs PGG
@ 2003-04-12 21:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-04-12 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> No flame here :) I just want to know what are the advantages and the
> drawbacks of each solution.

I have no idea, but since nobody else answered (is everybody reading
for their finals or something equally slackerish?) I think that PGG
is newer and more spiffy.

* Re: Mailcrypt vs PGG
@ 2003-04-12 22:56   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-04-12 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
>> No flame here :) I just want to know what are the advantages and the
>> drawbacks of each solution.
>
> I have no idea, but since nobody else answered (is everybody reading
> for their finals or something equally slackerish?) I think that PGG
> is newer and more spiffy.

I can add that Mailcrypt probably has more support for quirks in
historic, pre-GPG, PGP implementations, even though PGG is supposed to
work with PGP them too. (And that while I _am_ supposed to read for my
finals, the last week or so I have been sipping cafe au lait and
catching colds at cafe de flore.)

Jesper Harder added key snarfing support to PGG in Oort recently
(maybe upstream too?), so it should have most main features now.

Oh.  Mailcrypt has some anonymous remailer stuff in it.  PGG doesn't,
but you can do most of that kind of stuff from within Gnus, I believe.

The moral of the story is to use PGG and report whatever problems
there are, so they can be either fixed or the manual enhanced to say
why you would want to install Mailcrypt at all.

* Re: Mailcrypt vs PGG
@ 2003-04-13 12:42     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-13 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jesper Harder added key snarfing support to PGG in Oort recently
> (maybe upstream too?), so it should have most main features now.

I don't remember adding it.  But `pgg-gpg-snarf-keys-region' et al. seem
to be there, so someone did :-)

* Re: Mailcrypt vs PGG
@ 2003-04-13 14:35       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-04-13 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Jesper Harder added key snarfing support to PGG in Oort recently
>> (maybe upstream too?), so it should have most main features now.
>
> I don't remember adding it.  But `pgg-gpg-snarf-keys-region' et al. seem
> to be there, so someone did :-)

Uhm, the code seems to have always been there, sorry.  So maybe the
PGG snarf issue only was that there isn't a menubar entry for snarfing
keys? But it is already simple to support key snarfing, isn't it?
Simply add a .mailcap entry for application/pgp-keys.

Maybe we can give users some help in discovering this; I have added
the following text to the Security node in the Summary Buffer chapter:

,----
|    Snarfing OpenPGP keys (i.e., importing keys from articles into your
| key ring) is not supported explicitly through a menu item or command,
| rather Gnus do detect and label keys as `application/pgp-keys',
| allowing you to specify whatever action you think is appropriate
| through the usual MIME infrastructure.  You can use a `~/.mailcap'
| entry (see *note mailcap: (emacs-mime)mailcap.) such as the following
| to import keys using GNU Privacy Guard when you click on the MIME
| button (see *note Using MIME::).
|
|   application/pgp-keys; gpg --import --interactive --verbose; needsterminal
`----

I think this closes the snarf key issue with PGG vs Mailcrypt.  If
other Mailcrypt features can be worked around easily, that people find
useful, adding text to that effect in the manual is probably useful.

Test key:

* Re: Mailcrypt vs PGG
@ 2003-04-13 15:55         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-13 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> PGG snarf issue only was that there isn't a menubar entry for snarfing
> keys? But it is already simple to support key snarfing, isn't it?
> Simply add a .mailcap entry for application/pgp-keys.
>
> |   application/pgp-keys; gpg --import --interactive --verbose; needsterminal
> `----

Great.  Maybe we should add the entry in mailcap.el to make it work
out-of-the-box for at least some people?

* Re: Mailcrypt vs PGG
@ 2003-04-14 13:37           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-04-14 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> PGG snarf issue only was that there isn't a menubar entry for snarfing
>> keys? But it is already simple to support key snarfing, isn't it?
>> Simply add a .mailcap entry for application/pgp-keys.
>>
>> |   application/pgp-keys; gpg --import --interactive --verbose; needsterminal
>> `----
>
> Great.  Maybe we should add the entry in mailcap.el to make it work
> out-of-the-box for at least some people?

Good idea, done.

* Re: Mailcrypt vs PGG
@ 2003-04-14 19:38           ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-04-14 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)