* spam-split doesn't split
@ 2003-12-09 18:07 Adam Duck
From: Adam Duck @ 2003-12-09 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

perhaps I'm a little to naïve but the info says to do this:

(setq spam-use-bogofilter t)
(require 'spam)

and then bogofilter should work.
That's how I read it. Now, I have some spam, some ham, bogofilter dbs
seem ok and I get some scores around 1 for spam. That's good. But
spam-split doesn't move them.

`nnmail-split-fancy' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "nnmail"

Value: (:spam-split)

looks OK to me but all the mails end up in the "bogus" folder. Plus,
if I M-x spam-split, nothing happens except "spam-split: calling the
spam-check-bogofilter function".

What's wrong? How can I debug this?

bye, Adam.

* Re: spam-split doesn't split
@ 2003-12-09 22:29 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-12-09 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003, duck@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> perhaps I'm a little to naïve but the info says to do this:
>
> (setq spam-use-bogofilter t)
> (require 'spam)
>
> and then bogofilter should work.  That's how I read it. Now, I have
> some spam, some ham, bogofilter dbs seem ok and I get some scores
> around 1 for spam. That's good. But spam-split doesn't move them.
>
> `nnmail-split-fancy' is a variable declared in Lisp.
>   -- loaded from "nnmail"
>
> Value: (:spam-split)
>
> looks OK to me but all the mails end up in the "bogus" folder.

You need to provide a fall-through, because spam-split will return
'nil' if the mail is not spam.  That's the first step.

> Plus, if I M-x spam-split, nothing happens except "spam-split:
> calling the spam-check-bogofilter function".
>
> What's wrong?

Turn up gnus-verbose to 10 and see if the messages are sensible.  Test
a few messages manually with Bogofilter, through the
spam-bogofilter-score function, and see if they get scored properly.
Check the other items in the spam-bogofilter configuration group,
especially that the "bogofilter" executable is correctly found.

Ted

* Re: spam-split doesn't split
@ 2003-12-11 16:16   ` Adam Duck
From: Adam Duck @ 2003-12-11 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 09 Dec 2003, duck@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> perhaps I'm a little to naïve but the info says to do this:
>>
>> (setq spam-use-bogofilter t)
>> (require 'spam)
>>
>> and then bogofilter should work.  That's how I read it. Now, I have
>> some spam, some ham, bogofilter dbs seem ok and I get some scores
>> around 1 for spam. That's good. But spam-split doesn't move them.
>>
>> `nnmail-split-fancy' is a variable declared in Lisp.
>>   -- loaded from "nnmail"
>>
>> Value: (:spam-split)
>>
>> looks OK to me but all the mails end up in the "bogus" folder.
>
> You need to provide a fall-through, because spam-split will return
> 'nil' if the mail is not spam.  That's the first step.

Yes, I know. I just didn't want something else to interfere.

>> Plus, if I M-x spam-split, nothing happens except "spam-split:
>> calling the spam-check-bogofilter function".
>>
>> What's wrong?
>
> Turn up gnus-verbose to 10 and see if the messages are sensible.  Test
> a few messages manually with Bogofilter, through the
> spam-bogofilter-score function, and see if they get scored properly.
> Check the other items in the spam-bogofilter configuration group,
> especially that the "bogofilter" executable is correctly found.

That works. "spam-bogofilter-score" gives me the score - that's what I
meant with "I get some scores around 1 for spam" - and gnus even feeds
bogofilter with mails from the spam group (they get the spam-mark and
my spamlist.db gets bigger and bigger :). But split-mail doesn't move
spam to the spam folder in the first place. I have to do this by hand,
which turns the whole classification concept useless somehow :).

bye, Adam.

P.S.: what happened to (spam-initialize) I see often in the archives?

* Re: spam-split doesn't split
@ 2003-12-11 19:15     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-12-11 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, duck@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:

> That works. "spam-bogofilter-score" gives me the score - that's what
> I meant with "I get some scores around 1 for spam" - and gnus even
> feeds bogofilter with mails from the spam group (they get the
> spam-mark and my spamlist.db gets bigger and bigger :). But
> split-mail doesn't move spam to the spam folder in the first
> place.

Try the latest CVS Gnus, this was a bug reported just recently - I
was checking the wrong buffer.  Let me know if the CVS update doesn't
fix things for you.

> P.S.: what happened to (spam-initialize) I see often in the
> archives?

It is in the CVS Gnus.  spam.el will still do the right thing if you
set spam-use-bogofilter before loading spam.el, but that's for
backwards compatibility.  The CVS manual recommends (spam-initialize).

Ted

* Re: spam-split doesn't split
@ 2003-12-11 23:35       ` Adam Duck
From: Adam Duck @ 2003-12-11 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, duck@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
>
>> That works. "spam-bogofilter-score" gives me the score - that's what
>> I meant with "I get some scores around 1 for spam" - and gnus even
>> feeds bogofilter with mails from the spam group (they get the
>> spam-mark and my spamlist.db gets bigger and bigger :). But
>> split-mail doesn't move spam to the spam folder in the first
>> place.
>
> Try the latest CVS Gnus, this was a bug reported just recently - I
> was checking the wrong buffer.  Let me know if the CVS update doesn't
> fix things for you.

I have to say that I'm already using gnus-cvs and emacs-cvs (it's in
portage on gentoo). Still, `spam-split' is not moving spam.

>> P.S.: what happened to (spam-initialize) I see often in the
>> archives?

OK, using it now: no change.

What's left?

bye, Adam.

* Re: spam-split doesn't split
@ 2003-12-12 18:28         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-12-12 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Duck <duck@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de> disait récemment que :

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, duck@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
>>
>>> That works. "spam-bogofilter-score" gives me the score - that's what
>>> I meant with "I get some scores around 1 for spam" - and gnus even
>>> feeds bogofilter with mails from the spam group (they get the
>>> spam-mark and my spamlist.db gets bigger and bigger :). But
>>> split-mail doesn't move spam to the spam folder in the first
>>> place.
>>
>> Try the latest CVS Gnus, this was a bug reported just recently - I
>> was checking the wrong buffer.  Let me know if the CVS update doesn't
>> fix things for you.
>
> I have to say that I'm already using gnus-cvs and emacs-cvs (it's in
> portage on gentoo). Still, `spam-split' is not moving spam.

The fact you are currently using gnus-cvs is not a proof that you have
the correct and up-to-date version. The bug has been reported and fixed
not that long and since that time I encountered the same problem. Now I
have to admit that the result is, err, better even if it is not totally
accurate.

So question here is when did you lately check out gnus ? 2/3 days ?
More ? Today ? If the former or latter, it should be ok now. AFAIK the
fix has been committed 2 days ago.

zeDek

* Re: spam-split doesn't split
@ 2003-12-12 21:56         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-12-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, duck@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:

> I have to say that I'm already using gnus-cvs and emacs-cvs (it's in
> portage on gentoo). Still, `spam-split' is not moving spam.

Try increasing gnus-verbose to 10 and see what is in the *Messages*
buffer.

You can put (debug) statements in the spam-split function, then
re-evaluate it with C-x C-e and you'll get popped to the debugger at
those times.  Hit `c' to continue.  You can use (debug A B C) where
A B C are any Elisp objects, and you'll be able to see their values
when you go to the debugger.  You can also put (debug) statements in
spam-check-bogofilter, which may be more understandable.  spam-split
is a pretty confusing function.  All of this is in the spam.el
library.

There is another, more interactive debugger but I'm not sure we need
to go there yet.

Finally, Xavier brought up a good point - is gentoo's portage a few
steps behind CVS or is it the latest CVS?  I've never used portage.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: spam-split doesn't split
@ 2003-12-13 10:29           ` Adam Duck
From: Adam Duck @ 2003-12-13 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, duck@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
>
>> I have to say that I'm already using gnus-cvs and emacs-cvs (it's in
>> portage on gentoo). Still, `spam-split' is not moving spam.
>
> Try increasing gnus-verbose to 10 and see what is in the *Messages*
> buffer.
Well well, I've got it now. Seems the group name "bogus" is used if
something goes wrong. Anyway, the problem was this:

`nnmail-split-fancy' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "nnmail"

Value: (:spam-split)

Why didn't anybody tell me I have a space missing? "(: spam-split)"
works just fine. How could I have ever doubt gnus programmers? :)

> Finally, Xavier brought up a good point - is gentoo's portage a few
> steps behind CVS or is it the latest CVS?  I've never used portage.
Well, gentoo's pretty cool in this regard. It synchs cvs-trees here on
my box, copies them to a working directory and builds the
package. gentoo builds everything from source. So, when *I* do an
"emerge gnus-cvs" I get the latest. Anyway, I don't know if the patch
helped.

thanks, Adam.

* Re: spam-split doesn't split
@ 2003-12-13 17:54             ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-12-13 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Duck <duck@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de> disait récemment que :

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, duck@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
>>
>>> I have to say that I'm already using gnus-cvs and emacs-cvs (it's in
>>> portage on gentoo). Still, `spam-split' is not moving spam.
>>
>> Try increasing gnus-verbose to 10 and see what is in the *Messages*
>> buffer.
> Well well, I've got it now. Seems the group name "bogus" is used if
> something goes wrong. Anyway, the problem was this:
>
> `nnmail-split-fancy' is a variable declared in Lisp.
>   -- loaded from "nnmail"
>
> Value: (:spam-split)
>
> Why didn't anybody tell me I have a space missing? "(: spam-split)"
> works just fine. How could I have ever doubt gnus programmers? :)

Wow kinda difficult to see this ;)

>> Finally, Xavier brought up a good point - is gentoo's portage a few
>> steps behind CVS or is it the latest CVS?  I've never used portage.
> Well, gentoo's pretty cool in this regard. It synchs cvs-trees here on
> my box, copies them to a working directory and builds the
> package. gentoo builds everything from source. So, when *I* do an
> "emerge gnus-cvs" I get the latest. Anyway, I don't know if the patch
> helped.

Nice.

zeDek