* Mail doesn't rescan automatically
@ 2004-05-25 22:52 Geoff Kuenning
From: Geoff Kuenning @ 2004-05-25 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using gnus primarily for mail.  I've got nearly everything working
the way I want it, except for one glitch: when I type "g"
(gnus-group-get-new-news) in the Groups buffer, it fetches new mail
and splits it into my chosen nnml folders, but doesn't rescan those
folders so that it can update the Groups display.

I've found that I can work around the problem by running M-g
(gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group), but that's unsatisfactory
because it requires me to walk through all my mail groups, polling
them to find out if new mail has been split into them.

I experimented a bit with gnus-activate-group, which requires a group
name, and with gnus-activate-all-groups, which doesn't seem to produce
the results I want.

I keep thinking there *must* be a config setting someplace that says
"always pay attention to new files that you just stuck into an nnml
directory".  But I can't find it, for the life of me.

Any hints?
--
    Geoff Kuenning   geoff@cs.hmc.edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment.
	-- Harry F. Banks

* Re: Mail doesn't rescan automatically
@ 2004-05-26  4:49 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-05-26  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I'm using gnus primarily for mail.  I've got nearly everything working
> the way I want it, except for one glitch: when I type "g"
> (gnus-group-get-new-news) in the Groups buffer, it fetches new mail
> and splits it into my chosen nnml folders, but doesn't rescan those
> folders so that it can update the Groups display.

It is possible that actual article numbers and active aren't
coordinated.  You can get the active data by evaluating the Lisp
form  (gnus-active "nnml:GroupName")  and compare it with the
latest article file name.  I sometimes met with the same problem
by my illegal operation (I forgot what I did then, though).
I used to run `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases-1' in such cases.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Mail doesn't rescan automatically
@ 2004-05-26 20:14   ` Geoff Kuenning
From: Geoff Kuenning @ 2004-05-26 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It is possible that actual article numbers and active aren't
> coordinated.  You can get the active data by evaluating the Lisp
> form  (gnus-active "nnml:GroupName")  and compare it with the
> latest article file name.  I sometimes met with the same problem
> by my illegal operation (I forgot what I did then, though).
> I used to run `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases-1' in such cases.

The article numbers and active file match.  I've regenerated the
overview databases several times.  I just did the nnml...-1
regeneration and it didn't produce a change.
--
    Geoff Kuenning   geoff@cs.hmc.edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

Software, like bridges, should be elegant and visually pleasing as
well as functional.  Ugly constructs, designs, and languages should be
avoided like the plague.

* Re: Mail doesn't rescan automatically
@ 2004-05-27  0:59     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-05-27  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> It is possible that actual article numbers and active aren't
>> coordinated.
[...]
>> I used to run `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases-1' in such cases.

> The article numbers and active file match.  I've regenerated the
> overview databases several times.  I just did the nnml...-1
> regeneration and it didn't produce a change.

Hm, could you attempt to reset the newsrc database?  To do that,
delete the marks file (~/Mail/GroupName/.marks), evaluate the
following Lisp form

(setcdr (gnus-get-info "nnml:GroupName") '(1 nil nil "nnml:"))

and type `s' in the group buffer.  Then all articles in the
group will get marked as unread.  It seems better to have
the ~/.newsrc.eld file backuped in advance.

In addition, you may want to examine the ~/Mail/active file to
check whether the `to from' numbers are correct in the GroupName
entry.
--

@ 2004-05-31  2:02       ` Geoff Kuenning
From: Geoff Kuenning @ 2004-05-31  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I solved my problem; like many such things, I purely stumbled across
what I was doing wrong.

It turns out that I had created my mail groups as "nnml:mail.foo"
rather than as just mail.foo.  I'm not quite sure how I managed that,
because now I can't manage to create nnml:mail.bar even when I try.
But subscribing to mail.* rather than nnml:mail.* fixed everything,
and it was even easy to move the alist entries in .newsrc.eld so I
retained all my reading status.
--
    Geoff Kuenning   geoff@cs.hmc.edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

Orchestra retrospectively extremely satisfied with symphony [No. 1] as
result of barrel of free beer.
	-- Gustav Mahler, post-premiere letter to Arnold Berliner