* Outstanding bugs?
@ 1996-05-21  9:17 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-21  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you're seeing any bugs that you haven't reported -- please do so
now.  Even if it's just a teensy-weensy little thing that you imagine
everybody has seen and decided to live with, report it anyway.

I'll do a few more nineties releases, and then it's Gnus 5.2 time.

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
@ 1996-05-21 16:50 ` Steven L Baur
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-21 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> If you're seeing any bugs that you haven't reported -- please do
Lars> so now.  Even if it's just a teensy-weensy little thing that you
Lars> imagine everybody has seen and decided to live with, report it
Lars> anyway.

Lars> I'll do a few more nineties releases, and then it's Gnus 5.2
Lars> time.

Have you installed Mark Borges' patch for XEmacs native x-face support?
It works, though it ought to have the foreground and background colors
from the ``default'' face instead of forced black on white.
Gnus-picons should also be converted to use the native support when it
is compiled in, though it gets the foreground and background colors
correct.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
@ 1996-05-21 17:04   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-21 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> Have you installed Mark Borges' patch for XEmacs native x-face support?

Nope.  It was based on JWZ's code which is owned by Lucid, from which
all paperwork has expired.  So I can't use it.  If somebody else wants
to write new code that does the same, then I'll include it.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
@ 1996-05-21 19:26     ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-21 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
>> Have you installed Mark Borges' patch for XEmacs native x-face support?

Lars> Nope.  It was based on JWZ's code which is owned by Lucid, from which
Lars> all paperwork has expired.  So I can't use it.  If somebody else wants
Lars> to write new code that does the same, then I'll include it.

O.K.  I wouldn't have thought that gnus-xmas.el would be distributed
with GNU Emacs though.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-21 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> O.K.  I wouldn't have thought that gnus-xmas.el would be distributed
> with GNU Emacs though.

Well, Emacs might support pictures and stuff in the future, and then
we'd have to do that paperwork dance for those pieces.

Maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow!  But some day!  Some day!

@ 1996-05-21 20:07         ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-05-21 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
>
> > O.K.  I wouldn't have thought that gnus-xmas.el would be distributed
> > with GNU Emacs though.
>
> Well, Emacs might support pictures and stuff in the future, and then
> we'd have to do that paperwork dance for those pieces.
>
> Maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow!  But some day!  Some day!

  RMS keeps saying Emacs will support pictures, but I won't hold my
breath. :)  I wish someone would bite the bullet and merge in the XEmacs
redisplay, as they have all the necessary paperwork.  Anyone want to
volunteer? :)

-Bill P .

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
@ 1996-05-22  8:21 ` dc
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: dc @ 1996-05-22  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Suppose my unix shell session dies when I'm in Gnus, and
does so after having done enough stuff for long enough in Gnus such
that there's an auto save .newsrc*whatever that's more
current than the official .newsrc*whateve files.

The next time I launch Gnus I may see a prompt like:

	 Auto save file is newer; use it y/n ?

If I see this in the newsgroups buffer I can actually
select the autosave file, and typically the autosave file
is current up to the second to last group I read.

However, sometimes I see after leaving the newsgroups buffer
and before entering the summary buffer a message:

	Auto save file is newer; consider M-x recover-file

and there is no way to back out and M-x recover-file short of
opening another shell and killing Gnus.

So the bug is that an option (M-x recover-file)
is presented which is unselectable as and where
it's presented.  (in between newsgroups and summary buffer).

How to recreate the bug:

Do s for save in newsgroups buffer.

In the newsgroups buffer,
select  a group and many articles from that group[1]
eg select 50,000 articles from control, and have a
killfile (not scorefile) that kills on a low priority
header, eg keyword.

This should take a few hours and gives the autosave timer a good
chance to save something and gives the modem a good chance to
drop the line.

After the session is lost, open a new session, and select the
group that you selected in [1], and choose many articles.

David W. Crawford <dc@panix.com>

> If you're seeing any bugs that you haven't reported -- please do so
> now.  Even if it's just a teensy-weensy little thing that you imagine
> everybody has seen and decided to live with, report it anyway.
>
> I'll do a few more nineties releases, and then it's Gnus 5.2 time.
>
> --
>   "Yes.  The journey through the human heart
>      would have to wait until some other time."

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
@ 1996-05-22 12:28 ` Yair Friedman
From: Yair Friedman @ 1996-05-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> If you're seeing any bugs that you haven't reported -- please do so
> now.  Even if it's just a teensy-weensy little thing that you imagine
> everybody has seen and decided to live with, report it anyway.
>
> I'll do a few more nineties releases, and then it's Gnus 5.2 time.

nnvirtual is sometimes loosing sync with the composing groups, it
sometimes show only messages from one of the groups (the last one?) it
happens occasionally, but I wasn't able to track down exactly when it
happens and why.   Does anyone else feels the same?

--
Yair I. Friedman            yair@cs.huji.ac.il

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
@ 1996-05-22 17:45   ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-05-22 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I've had trouble with nnvirtual (in particular, I have a comix group
that just matches clari\\.feature\\.comics\\..*) where after I read
all the articles in the nnvirtual group, they're marked as read in the
real groups, but they still show up in the virtual group... ie. I'll
hit M-g on nnvirtual:comix and see 6 (why doesn't it do that
automatically? changing the level didn't seem to help) which is right,
one new article in each of 6 comics groups... then I'll read them, and
the comics groups will all be empty... then I'll hit 'g' to read new
mail and notice new news, and the virtual group will be back to 6...

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-22 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> I've had trouble with nnvirtual (in particular, I have a comix group
> that just matches clari\\.feature\\.comics\\..*) where after I read
> all the articles in the nnvirtual group, they're marked as read in the
> real groups, but they still show up in the virtual group... ie. I'll
> hit M-g on nnvirtual:comix and see 6 (why doesn't it do that
> automatically? changing the level didn't seem to help) which is right,
> one new article in each of 6 comics groups... then I'll read them, and
> the comics groups will all be empty... then I'll hit 'g' to read new
> mail and notice new news, and the virtual group will be back to 6...

Yes.  I think this has been fixed in 0.90, though.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-05-24  3:49 ` stend+ding
From: stend+ding @ 1996-05-24  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

LMI> If you're seeing any bugs that you haven't reported -- please do
LMI> so now.  Even if it's just a teensy-weensy little thing that you
LMI> imagine everybody has seen and decided to live with, report it
LMI> anyway.

	Minor buglet: the %a format in the gnus-summary-line-format
cannot handle local mail addresses.  That is, it returns "Sten
Drescher" when the From: value is "Sten Drescher
<stend@grendel.texas.net>", but "Sten Drescher <stend>" when it is
"Sten Drescher <stend>".

--
#include <disclaimer.h>                               /* Sten Drescher */
ObCDABait:      For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
@ 1996-05-24 15:22   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-24 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

stend+ding@grendel.texas.net writes:

> 	Minor buglet: the %a format in the gnus-summary-line-format
> cannot handle local mail addresses.  That is, it returns "Sten
> Drescher" when the From: value is "Sten Drescher
> <stend@grendel.texas.net>", but "Sten Drescher <stend>" when it is
> "Sten Drescher <stend>".

Fiddling with From headers can be quite expensive.  The default
function used gets things right about 90% of the time, but if you want
to get it right all the time, then:

(setq gnus-extract-address-components 'mail-extract-address-components)

This will slow things down quite a lot, though.

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-06-04 20:18 ` St. Suika Roberts
From: St. Suika Roberts @ 1996-06-04 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

LMI> If you're seeing any bugs that you haven't reported -- please do
LMI> so now.  Even if it's just a teensy-weensy little thing that you
LMI> imagine everybody has seen and decided to live with, report it
LMI> anyway.

Why does nnfolder frob the folders twice?  I would think that since
the first pass through the folders is to get things like the number of
articles in the group that that information could be stored in the
active file, as long as only gnus touches the folders.  Doing that
would almost halve my startup time.
(Or to put it another way, why read the file, parse it, write it out,
and then open it again to add the new mail to?)

Thank you,
	Suika (who really likes gnus, even if it does take 15 minutes
	to start :/ )(much of which is frobing my very large mail
	folders, and most of the rest is splitting mail and writing
	out my folders again.)
--
	wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu

* Re: Outstanding bugs?
@ 1996-06-04 20:39   ` Scott Byer
From: Scott Byer @ 1996-06-04 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

St Suika Roberts writes:

St> Why does nnfolder frob the folders twice?  I would think that since the
St> first pass through the folders is to get things like the number of
St> articles in the group that that information could be stored in the
St> active file, as long as only gnus touches the folders.  Doing that would
St> almost halve my startup time.  (Or to put it another way, why read the
St> file, parse it, write it out, and then open it again to add the new mail
St> to?)

I've been tweaking nnfolder performance again - I've got something much
better, but have been trying to get some mileage on it.  I have to merge up
to the latest version and get the diffs to Lars...

-Scott