* gnus smtp and gmail app specific permissions
@ 2012-01-20 10:35 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-20 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Any of you have a solution that works with smtpmail sending that sets up
an app specific password for gmails smtp server?

I have a setup using the multismtp selection from here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts

with the difference I set up my smtp accounts thus:-

,----
|  (setq smtp-accounts '(
|                        (ssl "rileyrg" "smtp.gmail.com" "587"
|                             "(nth 0 (auth-source-user-and-password \"rileysmtp\"))" "(nth 1 (auth-source-user-and-password \"rileysmtp\"))" nil)
|                        (ssl "shamrock" "smtp.gmail.com" "587"
|                             "(nth 0 (auth-source-user-and-password \"shamrock\"))" "(nth 1 (auth-source-user-and-password \"shamrock\"))" nil)
|  ))
`----

and then eval the user and password in the  set-smtp-ssl function. But
I'm confused because apparently smtpmail-auth-credentials isnt used for
ssl, so why is it set in that function?

Ideally a simple working sample of setting smtpmails "authentication"
variables in elisp would do.

* Re: gnus smtp and gmail app specific permissions
@ 2012-01-20 12:34 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-20 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Any of you have a solution that works with smtpmail sending that sets up
> an app specific password for gmails smtp server?
>
> I have a setup using the multismtp selection from here:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
>
> with the difference I set up my smtp accounts thus:-
>
> ,----
> |  (setq smtp-accounts '(
> |                        (ssl "rileyrg" "smtp.gmail.com" "587"
> |                             "(nth 0 (auth-source-user-and-password \"rileysmtp\"))" "(nth 1 (auth-source-user-and-password \"rileysmtp\"))" nil)
> |                        (ssl "shamrock" "smtp.gmail.com" "587"
> |                             "(nth 0 (auth-source-user-and-password \"shamrock\"))" "(nth 1 (auth-source-user-and-password \"shamrock\"))" nil)
> |  ))
> `----
>
> and then eval the user and password in the  set-smtp-ssl function. But
> I'm confused because apparently smtpmail-auth-credentials isnt used for
> ssl, so why is it set in that function?
>
> Ideally a simple working sample of setting smtpmails "authentication"
> variables in elisp would do.

Or possibly just a simple example of elisp programming to set up
smtpmail to use a third party smtp server line by line with auth details
from .authinfo?  I'm  confused with the cross over (if any)
between smtp credential variables and the use of authinfo.

* Re: gnus smtp and gmail app specific permissions
@ 2012-01-21 15:10   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-21 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Any of you have a solution that works with smtpmail sending that sets up
>> an app specific password for gmails smtp server?
>>
>> I have a setup using the multismtp selection from here:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
>>
>> with the difference I set up my smtp accounts thus:-
>>
>> ,----
>> |  (setq smtp-accounts '(
>> |                        (ssl "rileyrg" "smtp.gmail.com" "587"
>> |                             "(nth 0 (auth-source-user-and-password \"rileysmtp\"))" "(nth 1 (auth-source-user-and-password \"rileysmtp\"))" nil)
>> |                        (ssl "shamrock" "smtp.gmail.com" "587"
>> |                             "(nth 0 (auth-source-user-and-password \"shamrock\"))" "(nth 1 (auth-source-user-and-password \"shamrock\"))" nil)
>> |  ))
>> `----
>>
>> and then eval the user and password in the  set-smtp-ssl function. But
>> I'm confused because apparently smtpmail-auth-credentials isnt used for
>> ssl, so why is it set in that function?
>>
>> Ideally a simple working sample of setting smtpmails "authentication"
>> variables in elisp would do.
>>

> Or possibly just a simple example of elisp programming to set up
> smtpmail to use a third party smtp server line by line with auth details
> from .authinfo?  I'm  confused with the cross over (if any)
> between smtp credential variables and the use of authinfo.

I'm currently unable to use gnus to send emails since my move to
appliction specific passwords. Any pointers would be greatly
appreciated.

* Re: gnus smtp and gmail app specific permissions
@ 2012-01-21 20:34     ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2012-01-21 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Any of you have a solution that works with smtpmail sending that sets up
>>> an app specific password for gmails smtp server?
>>>
>>> I have a setup using the multismtp selection from here:
>>>
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
>>>
>>> with the difference I set up my smtp accounts thus:-
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> and then eval the user and password in the  set-smtp-ssl function. But
>>> I'm confused because apparently smtpmail-auth-credentials isnt used for
>>> ssl, so why is it set in that function?
>>>
>>> Ideally a simple working sample of setting smtpmails "authentication"
>>> variables in elisp would do.
>>>

>> Or possibly just a simple example of elisp programming to set up
>> smtpmail to use a third party smtp server line by line with auth details
>> from .authinfo?  I'm  confused with the cross over (if any)
>> between smtp credential variables and the use of authinfo.
>
> I'm currently unable to use gnus to send emails since my move to
> appliction specific passwords. Any pointers would be greatly
> appreciated.

Hey, try this:

(setq smtp-accounts
   '((plain    "ltsampros@gmail.com" "smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))

I really don't know/remember why it works and why it gets the password
from my .authinfo.gpg (smtpmail magic?) but I'm pretty sure this setup
works here.

I searched for any special code around but didn't notice anything wrt
to authsource.

Remove the dashes and spaces from the application specific
password you get from the Gmail interface and make sure your username is
"username@gmail.com" in your .authinfo(.gpg) file. Example:

machine smtp.gmail.com login username@gmail.com port 587 password panagiavoitha

Memory banks are failing me right now but the setup I'm posting works
for me even when using multiple relay addresses through ONE gmail
account.

I hope the above helped a bit.

Regards,
Leonidas Tsampros

* Re: gnus smtp and gmail app specific permissions
@ 2012-01-30 12:24       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-30 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Or possibly just a simple example of elisp programming to set up
>>> smtpmail to use a third party smtp server line by line with auth details
>>> from .authinfo?  I'm  confused with the cross over (if any)
>>> between smtp credential variables and the use of authinfo.
>>
>> I'm currently unable to use gnus to send emails since my move to
>> appliction specific passwords. Any pointers would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
> Hey, try this:
>
> (setq smtp-accounts
>    '((plain    "ltsampros@gmail.com" "smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
>
> I really don't know/remember why it works and why it gets the password
> from my .authinfo.gpg (smtpmail magic?) but I'm pretty sure this setup
> works here.
>
> I searched for any special code around but didn't notice anything wrt
> to authsource.
>
> Remove the dashes and spaces from the application specific
> password you get from the Gmail interface and make sure your username is
> "username@gmail.com" in your .authinfo(.gpg) file. Example:
>
> machine smtp.gmail.com login username@gmail.com port 587 password panagiavoitha
>
> Memory banks are failing me right now but the setup I'm posting works
> for me even when using multiple relay addresses through ONE gmail
> account.
>
> I hope the above helped a bit.
>
> Regards,
> Leonidas Tsampros

Thanks but its still not working for me. gnus rteally needs built in
multi smtp support as it is I'm not willing to forgo 2 step verification
and app specific passwords and will have to stop using gus for email ;(
Ive been hacking around the multi smtp solution from the wiki but simply
cant get it working with the app specific requirements.

* Re: gnus smtp and gmail app specific permissions
@ 2012-01-31  6:51       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-31  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

> (setq smtp-accounts
>    '((plain    "ltsampros@gmail.com" "smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
>
> I really don't know/remember why it works and why it gets the password
> from my .authinfo.gpg (smtpmail magic?) but I'm pretty sure this setup
> works here.
>
> I searched for any special code around but didn't notice anything wrt
> to authsource.

Hi, Could you post your supporting code for this please. The code in the
wiki (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts) doesnt work
for me : its failing to get the from address from the mail buffer and I
cant pin point why (I have gnuis posting styles set correctly). The
string-match in change-smtp is saying address is nil.