From: Amos Gouaux <amos+lists.ding@utdallas.edu>
Subject: Re: nnimap - not quite there yet?
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 18:45:33 -0500	[thread overview]

>>>>> On 08 Aug 2001 16:29:29 -0400,
>>>>> Joe Casadonte <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> (jc) writes:

jc> 1) Despite everything I've tried, mostly with levels, I cannot avoid
jc>    having all accounts logged into at Gnus startup.  I only want two
jc>    or three accounts checked, and I'll check the others once every

I do this to some extent.  I just have my primary inbox listed under
gnus-secondary-select-methods.  All the rest I've set up a foreign
groups under the server buffer (press ^ from the *Groups* buffer).

jc> 2) Again, despite attempts to change the behavior (mostly with levels)
jc>    I cannot avoid having nnimap check every folder when I do a
jc>    gnus-group-get-new-news.  The folders don't /activate/, mind you, but
jc>    I have to sit thru every one of them being checked.

This is from code that has been posted by others before, but here it
is again, probably poorly mangled.  ;-)

;;; This is used by gnus-demon-add-handler to check for
;;; new mail periodically.  I have my inbox set at level 1,
;;; while all my favorite folders are at level 2.  In the
;;; Group buffer, the command `S l' can be used to
;;; set a group level.  This one is run every 5 minutes.
(defun gnus-demon-scan-mail-groups1 ()
  (save-window-excursion
    (when (gnus-alive-p)
      (save-excursion
        (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
        (gnus-group-get-new-news 1)))))

;;; I have this one run every 17min.
(defun gnus-demon-scan-mail-groups2 ()
  (save-window-excursion
    (when (gnus-alive-p)
      (save-excursion
        (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
        (gnus-group-get-new-news 2)))))

;;; Hook that does that vast majority of gnus customization.
;;; (I set this up long, long ago, and suspect there's a better
;;; way to do this now...)
(add-hook
 'gnus-startup-hook
 (function
  (lambda ()
    ;; Check for new mail every 5 minutes after being idle for 5 minute.
    (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail-groups1 5 5)
    ;; This check is for "favorite" folders that aren't quite as important.
    (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail-groups2 17 17)
    ;; .... lots of other junk...
    )))

So, I set my inbox at level one.  Folders that receive new mail that
I want to keep a close eye on at level two.  My folders that I don't
want to be polled at startup at level 4.  Newsgroups and stuff at
level 3 (the default).  When I want to just check my inbox, in the
*Group* buffer I just do `1 g'.  If I want to check some of the
shared folders, `2 g'.  I only use plain `g' if I want to check
everything (at level 3 and above).

jc> 3) For each virtual IMAP server, an imap process is launched and kept
jc>    hanging around.  With 9 virtual servers, that's just too much.  It

I would probably just go into the server buffer and close the
sessions I didn't need.

--
Amos