From: Amos Gouaux <amos+lists.ding@utdallas.edu>
Subject: Re: nnimap subfolder problem
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:27:45 -0500	[thread overview]

>>>>> On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:12:58 +0200,
>>>>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> (sj) writes:

sj> You are right, but I think it is hard to use it in any useful way, the
sj> hierarchy delimiter can change between hierarchies.  For example, just
sj> because you know that `.' is used to delimiter "INBOX" from "private"
sj> doesn't mean you know anything about the delimiter used below
sj> "private".  (You could replace "INBOX" with "~" and "private" with
sj> "mail" for a UoW example.)

Can you really change the delimiter like this?  Never thought about
it before, but I guess so.  Though, I'd be surprised if many clients
could cope with this.  Hell, I've seen too many clients make blind
assumptions as to what the delimiter should be as it is.

Perhaps just check with the INBOX and then ass-u-me that it's that
way for the entire folder space?  Perhaps just document that as the
current limitation?  Would there really be anybody that found this
to be a problem?  Are there even any servers that allow the
delimiter to change in the folder space like this?

--
Amos