From: "Steven E. Harris" <seh@panix.com>
Subject: Re: The etc directory
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 08:30:11 -0700	[thread overview]

Steve Youngs <steve@sxemacs.org> writes:

> they'd rather put the files in the correct locations (as per XEmacs
> package hierarchy).

Which is where?

I've run into the same problem with trying to place the etc directory
on a fresh installation, using --prefix to put the CVS-pulled build
into ~/usr/local.

If I remember correctly, Gnus scans for its images by taking every
entry on the load path, popping up a directory (out of, say,
"site-packages/lisp/gnus" to "site-packages/lisp"), then looking for
"etc/gnus" below. For instance, gnus-xmas-glyph-directory is
initialized as follows:

  (message-xmas-find-glyph-directory "gnus") ->
  (nnheader-find-etc-directory "gnus")
  -> "$PREFIX/lib/xemacs/site-packages/lisp/etc/gnus/"

In my current installation, I had to manually link

  $PREFIX/lib/xemacs/site-packages/lisp/etc/ ->
  $PREFIX/lib/xemacs/site-packages/etc/

for nnheader-find-etc-directory to work. Elsewhere, though,
gnus-group-startup-message calls (nnheader-find-etc-directory
"images/gnus"), which required me to create this link

  $PREFIX/lib/xemacs/site-packages/etc/gnus ->
  $PREFIX/lib/xemacs/site-packages/etc/images/gnus

to get things to work. Or maybe that last one wasn't necessary.
The function gmm-image-load-path-for-library also contains some
sniffing around under the etc directory.

I'm always reluctant to start from scratch for fear of having to
reestablish these links. What am I doing wrong?

--
Steven E. Harris