* Feature bleah
@ 1996-09-23 20:10 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-23 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

As some of you may have noticed, there hasn't been anything much new
in the last couple of weeks.  The problem is that, *gasp*, I've gotten
one of those dreaded writers, uhm, programmer's blocks.  I just don't
seem to be able to write a single line of lisp without my mind
starting to drift off into strange places.

Anyways.  This might be a good opportunity to declare a feature freeze
and aim for releasing Red Gnus 5.4 Novemberish.  After that, it's a
fruity Gnus, I guess.  If I can get that inspiration back.  *sob*
*whine*

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Feature bleah
@ 1996-09-23 20:37 ` Scott Blachowicz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1996-09-23 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> fruity Gnus...*whine*

Oooo, speaking of wine...how about Grape Gnus? (or Great News or ...)? :-)?

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org

* Re: Feature bleah
@ 1996-09-23 21:21 ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-09-23 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

>As some of you may have noticed, there hasn't been anything much new in
>the last couple of weeks.  The problem is that, *gasp*, I've gotten one of
>those dreaded writers, uhm, programmer's blocks.  I just don't seem to be
>able to write a single line of lisp without my mind starting to drift off
>into strange places.
>
>Anyways.  This might be a good opportunity to declare a feature freeze and
>aim for releasing Red Gnus 5.4 Novemberish.  After that, it's a fruity
>Gnus, I guess.  If I can get that inspiration back.  *sob* *whine*

  you just need some very large end-users to pay you a visit and remind you
how much you just _LOVE_ to lose sleep over adding features.  :)  Sort of
like the roaming 'I Love Microsoft' squad roaming the eastside of seattle
on alternating tuesdays.

-Bill P.

* Re: Feature bleah
@ 1996-09-23 23:12 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-09-23 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Anyways.  This might be a good opportunity to declare a feature
Lars> freeze and aim for releasing Red Gnus 5.4 Novemberish.  After
Lars> that, it's a fruity Gnus, I guess.  If I can get that
Lars> inspiration back.  *sob* *whine*

Shoot.  I'd like to see Gnus able to talk SMTP directly, so that it
does not need to fork a local sendmail.  After all if Netscape can do
it, Gnus should be doing it better.

I don't think this is much code to write.  Any possibility for this
feature in Red Gnus?
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: Feature bleah
@ 1996-09-24  1:01   ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-09-24  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't think this is much code to write.  Any possibility for this

In fact, I've got a smtpsend.el that Bill Sommerfeld wrote, if you
want to start from that I'll ask his permission to forward it (or you
can find others I'm sure...)

* Re: Feature bleah
@ 1996-09-24  2:34   ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-09-24  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steven L. Baur writes:

>Lars> Anyways.  This might be a good opportunity to declare a feature
>Lars> freeze and aim for releasing Red Gnus 5.4 Novemberish.  After
>Lars> that, it's a fruity Gnus, I guess.  If I can get that
>Lars> inspiration back.  *sob* *whine*
>
>Shoot.  I'd like to see Gnus able to talk SMTP directly, so that it
>does not need to fork a local sendmail.  After all if Netscape can do
>it, Gnus should be doing it better.
>
>I don't think this is much code to write.  Any possibility for this
>feature in Red Gnus?

  This is in Emacs 19.34 - I use it all the time at work, since I am behind
a SOCKS firewall, and sendmail doesn't grok it.  Check this out:

(setq
 send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
 smtpmail-default-smtp-server "newman"
 smtpmail-local-domain "aventail.com")

(require 'smtpmail)

Voila! Works great for me (using the elisp SOCKS client I wrote a while
back :)  This is definitely something we need to synch up with Emacs 19.34
for the 19.15 release of XEmacs.

-Bill P.

* Re: Feature bleah
@ 1996-09-24  6:20   ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-09-24  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

/ Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com> wrote:

| Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
|
| > fruity Gnus...*whine*
|
| Oooo, speaking of wine...how about Grape Gnus? (or Great News or ...)? :-)?

Great News sounds great for the name of a release I think, sort of
maybe a FAQ (what does Gnus stand for, Great News :-)!

	/Andy

--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: Feature bleah
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-09-24 11:52 ` Wesley.Hardaker
From: Wesley.Hardaker @ 1996-09-24 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> As some of you may have noticed, there hasn't been anything much new
> in the last couple of weeks.  The problem is that, *gasp*, I've gotten
> one of those dreaded writers, uhm, programmer's blocks.  I just don't
> seem to be able to write a single line of lisp without my mind
> starting to drift off into strange places.

Happens to all of us.  Thats usually when I switch projects and
abandon the one I'm working on till it bugs to no end to return to it
because it doesn't do something I want.  I don't suggest this sort of
behaviour, of course...

Anyway, as long as people are suggesting new features for the TODO
list (unrelated to the topic really), I thought I'd throw in my two
cents:

  - It would be nice to be able to quickly reduce a subject or author
    permanently in a global score file.  The problem with the 'I' and
    'L' concepts is that they are local to a particular newsgroup.
    When I run across the 'cash fast now' type posts I want to bomb
    the guy from hell in my score files but in all my groups.  A quick
    'L S' or 'L A' doesn't work, as it only blocks the current group.
    It would be cool if it was possible to redirect the score to a
    (the) global score file instead?  It would probably require an
    extra question at the end of the regular 4 key sequence (last
    being temp/perm) for something like 'local/global' etc...

Maybe this is already possible and I'm an idiot?  Certainly wouldn't
be the first time...

Wes

* Re: Feature bleah
@ 1996-09-24 15:15     ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-09-24 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

 [smtpmail.el]

William>   This is in Emacs 19.34 - I use it all the time at work,
William> since I am behind a SOCKS firewall, and sendmail doesn't grok
William> it.  Check this out:

William> ...  This is definitely something we need to synch up with
William> Emacs 19.34 for the 19.15 release of XEmacs.

I see it.  [Checking against XEmacs beta ...]  It requires
mailalias.el, and a new function from sendmail.el.  I'll post working
versions to somewhere appropriate when I get them.

Cool.
--

@ 1996-09-24 18:15   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-24 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wesley.Hardaker@sphys.unil.ch writes:

>   - It would be nice to be able to quickly reduce a subject or author
>     permanently in a global score file.  The problem with the 'I' and
>     'L' concepts is that they are local to a particular newsgroup.
>     When I run across the 'cash fast now' type posts I want to bomb
>     the guy from hell in my score files but in all my groups.  A quick
>     'L S' or 'L A' doesn't work, as it only blocks the current group.
>     It would be cool if it was possible to redirect the score to a
>     (the) global score file instead?  It would probably require an
>     extra question at the end of the regular 4 key sequence (last
>     being temp/perm) for something like 'local/global' etc...

You can change the score file with `V c' before entering scores.  You
can also use the new home score file thingie to get more control over
where new score entries are to go...

* Re: Feature bleah
@ 1996-09-24 21:37   ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-09-24 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

for a good mnemonic, how about using $ as a prefix -- it would be the
same as L but global, so
1000 $ a f p user@site
and then
500 $ a f p @site

would be pretty convenient.  (THe problem with V c is that if I see
lists, I'm debugging, not using the UI :-)

* Re: Feature bleah
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-25 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> for a good mnemonic, how about using $ as a prefix -- it would be the
> same as L but global, so
> 1000 $ a f p user@site
> and then
> 500 $ a f p @site

But what is the "global" score file?  It can be any number of things,
although most people use "all.SCORE".  (Well, "global" in the
non-Gnusey sense.)

> would be pretty convenient.  (THe problem with V c is that if I see
> lists, I'm debugging, not using the UI :-)

`V c' just prompts for a new current score file.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Global score file ?Donde?
@ 1996-09-26  6:17       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1996-09-26  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> But what is the "global" score file?  It can be any number of
> things, although most people use "all.SCORE".

For me it's always been ~/News/SCORE, but I've *no* idea why (it's not
set to that anywhere in my ~/.emacs or in the site-start.el file).

* Re: Feature bleah
@ 1996-09-26 11:00       ` Wesley.Hardaker
From: Wesley.Hardaker @ 1996-09-26 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> But what is the "global" score file?  It can be any number of things,
> although most people use "all.SCORE".  (Well, "global" in the
> non-Gnusey sense.)

Well, all.SCORE would of course be fine...  The point is to make it
easy I think.  I'll probably go write a routine to do the equivelent
of a 'V c', then run through the 'L' stuff, and then finally a 'V c'
back to the original again and maybe even bind it to '$'...

Wes