* Maildir interoperability
@ 2005-08-18 23:49 Karl Chen
From: Karl Chen @ 2005-08-18 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my opinion: nnmaildir is outrageous for using non-standard
marks that are non-interoperable with all other MUAs.  The
original Maildir specification defined how marks should be used.
Nnmaildir uses a funky hard-link system (which also doesn't work
on many file systems/OSes).  Synchronization scripts are a very
poor workaround.

In Googling this subject, I came across many rants,
e.g. http://bignachos.com/?page_id=5

The solution I've found to be satisfactory for now is to go
through a local IMAP server.  This works, but it took a lot more
effort than the average user will devote, and is suboptimal.

Does anybody else here feel Gnus needs to support real Maildir?
Also, it would be very nice to be interoperable with IMAP, so Gnus
should also use the Maildir extension for subgroups that IMAP uses
(Maildir/.groupname).  It could be a separate back-end, or Gnus
could automatically convert old-style marks.

--
Karl 2005-08-18 16:35

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-08-18 23:49 UTC | newest]