* nnimap as primary select method
@ 2000-09-03 18:11 Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2000-09-03 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I would prefer to have nnimap as primary select method. Actually I
have this running but see to major drawbacks/bugs:

1) nntp does not work with nndraft with this setup: If I store an nntp
   article as draft it does not find the nntp server any more. So it
   says the group is invalid.
2) You cannot really use it for archive method, sibce it does prepend
   the server name and by this generates duplicate group entries
   INBOX.sent and nnimap+server:INBOXsent

Any help appreciated
                        Christoph

* Re: nnimap as primary select method
@ 2000-09-04 11:18 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-04 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 03 Sep 2000, Christoph Rohland wrote:

> 1) nntp does not work with nndraft with this setup: If I store an nntp
>    article as draft it does not find the nntp server any more. So it
>    says the group is invalid.

Does this help?  (setq gnus-post-method 'current)

> 2) You cannot really use it for archive method, sibce it does prepend
>    the server name and by this generates duplicate group entries
>    INBOX.sent and nnimap+server:INBOXsent

You can set gnus-outgoing-message-group to "foo.bar", then you will
get a header "Gcc: foo.bar" and that should do the right thing.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: nnimap as primary select method
@ 2000-09-04 12:11   ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2000-09-04 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> On 03 Sep 2000, Christoph Rohland wrote:
>
> > 1) nntp does not work with nndraft with this setup: If I store an nntp
> >    article as draft it does not find the nntp server any more. So it
> >    says the group is invalid.
>
> Does this help?  (setq gnus-post-method 'current)

No, apparently the current method for drafts is nndraft.

But (setq gnus-post-method '(nntp "news")) which is not really
optimal...

> > 2) You cannot really use it for archive method, sibce it does prepend
> >    the server name and by this generates duplicate group entries
> >    INBOX.sent and nnimap+server:INBOXsent
>
> You can set gnus-outgoing-message-group to "foo.bar", then you will
> get a header "Gcc: foo.bar" and that should do the right thing.

But this does not work together with the gcc-self group parameter :-(

Greetings

@ 2000-09-04 13:09     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-04 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 04 Sep 2000, Christoph Rohland wrote:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> On 03 Sep 2000, Christoph Rohland wrote:
>>
>> > 1) nntp does not work with nndraft with this setup: If I store an
>> >    nntp article as draft it does not find the nntp server any
>> >    more. So it says the group is invalid.
>>
>> Does this help?  (setq gnus-post-method 'current)
>
> No, apparently the current method for drafts is nndraft.
>
> But (setq gnus-post-method '(nntp "news")) which is not really
> optimal...

So this appears to be a bug.  Since probably not many people use
nnimap as their primary select method, you need to help a bit with
debugging.

Can you submit a bug report?

>> > 2) You cannot really use it for archive method, sibce it does
>> >    prepend the server name and by this generates duplicate group
>> >    entries INBOX.sent and nnimap+server:INBOXsent
>>
>> You can set gnus-outgoing-message-group to "foo.bar", then you will
>> get a header "Gcc: foo.bar" and that should do the right thing.
>
> But this does not work together with the gcc-self group parameter
> :-(

Hm?  If you have "Gcc: foo.bar" in the message, does that work?  And
when you set the gcc-self group parameter, does that not insert "Gcc:
foo.bar" into the message?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: nnimap as primary select method
@ 2000-09-04 13:42       ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2000-09-04 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Can you submit a bug report?

Did that.

> >> You can set gnus-outgoing-message-group to "foo.bar", then you will
> >> get a header "Gcc: foo.bar" and that should do the right thing.
> >
> > But this does not work together with the gcc-self group parameter
> > :-(
>
> Hm?  If you have "Gcc: foo.bar" in the message, does that work?

Yes it works.

> And when you set the gcc-self group parameter, does that not insert
> "Gcc: foo.bar" into the message?

Yes, it does. But I also have the value of gnus-outgoing-message-group
in another Gcc header.

@ 2000-09-04 15:22         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-04 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 04 Sep 2000, Christoph Rohland wrote:

> Yes, it does. But I also have the value of
> gnus-outgoing-message-group in another Gcc header.

Yeah.  Hm.  Well, what I do is to set gnus-outgoing-message-group to a
function which checks the variable gnus-newsgroup-name and then puts
in the right Gcc header.  (I don't use gcc-self.)

But there should be an easy way to do what you want.

Hm.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: nnimap as primary select method
@ 2000-09-04 15:44           ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2000-09-04 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> On 04 Sep 2000, Christoph Rohland wrote:
>
> > Yes, it does. But I also have the value of
> > gnus-outgoing-message-group in another Gcc header.
>
> Yeah.  Hm.  Well, what I do is to set gnus-outgoing-message-group to a
> function which checks the variable gnus-newsgroup-name and then puts
> in the right Gcc header.  (I don't use gcc-self.)
>
> But there should be an easy way to do what you want.

That's what I think and I think gnus-archive and such is the easier
interface.

Greetings
		Christoph