From: Didier Verna <verna@inf.enst.fr>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: personalized x-face
Date: 21 Apr 1999 09:52:57 +0200	[thread overview]

David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> writes:

> What about adding two new symbols to gnus-posting-styles;
>
> x-face and x-face-file. The reason is, of course, that it would be a
> lot easier inserting your x-face without (e)lisp knowledge then.

        Yes, but since multiple similar entries in the posting styles override
the preceding value, you couldn't have two `X-Faces' in your messages ;-)

        Seriously, I'm rather against the idea. Actually I'm also against the
`organization' field. Posting styles are usefull when you have a _real_
treatment to perform. For instance, the `name' or `address' field must be
handled in a way that outputs a correct `From:' header.

        But if we add a new posting style field for each header the user might
be interested in, the list is likely to grow day after day. Better use the
generic header functionality (a string as header name), and improve it if
needed.

        What would be really nice to have is better ways of specifying how to
fetch the value for posting style fields: from a function, a file, a plain
string, a variable etc. You basically would like to write something like:

("X-Face" :file "~/.face") or ("Organization" :value "The Gnus Consortium")

        I actually think that this mechanism would also be usefull for other
fields, like `signature' and `body' one. And why not adding another field
specifying whether you want the value to replace a possibly former one, or
to be just added (I want to keep my two faces! :-)

--
    /     /   _   _       Didier Verna        http://www.inf.enst.fr/~verna/
 - / / - / / /_/ /      E.N.S.T. INF C201.1      mailto:verna@inf.enst.fr