From: Didier Verna <verna@inf.enst.fr>
Subject: Gnus fucks up my custom settings
Date: 05 Mar 1999 10:15:33 +0100	[thread overview]

        HI folks.

        I've noticed this only few days ago, but the problem has probably been
there for longer than that. I recently customized `gnus-group-mode-hook'
instead of just modifying it in my gnusrc file, and then I noticed that my
custom setting was overrided by gnus. I've tracked down the problem to
`gnus-xmas-redefine'. For instance, this function calls `add-hook' on
gnus-group-mode-hook, but 'gnus-group has not been required yet, so the
variable is not defcustom'ed.

        I see 2 solutions to this problem: either you require each library
from which you'll twiddle a variable (but then you might load libs that the
user wo't use), or you use defcustom instead of defvar (but then you have code
replication). Or maybe the concerned variables should be defined in a separate
file instead of in their respective libs ?

        Lars, waya think ?

--
    /     /   _   _       Didier Verna        http://www.inf.enst.fr/~verna/
 - / / - / / /_/ /      E.N.S.T. INF C201.1      mailto:verna@inf.enst.fr