* compressing articles not working correctly
@ 2011-07-14 15:46 lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-14 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

it seems that compressing articles doesn't work correctly in that not
all articles larger than `nnml-compressed-files-size-threshold' are
compressed when splitting mail. For example:

,---- [ *Messages* ]
`----

,---- [ lee@yun:~/Mail/mail/lists/users-global-libreoffice$ ls -lat ]
`----

,---- [ ~/.gnus ]
| (setq
|  gnus-select-method '(nnml "yun" (nnml-use-compressed-files ".bz2")
|    (nnml-compressed-files-size-threshold 2048)))
`----

I started with a threshold of 4096 (because that's the sector size) and
when it didn't work as expected, I reduced the threshold and it doesn't
seem to work any better.  Is this a bug or am I missing something?

BTW, is there a particular reason for the .marks files to have different
permissions (-rw-r--r--) than the other files in an nnml directory?

* Re: compressing articles not working correctly
@ 2011-07-14 16:20 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-07-14 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:46:37 +0200, lee wrote:

> ,---- [ lee@yun:~/Mail/mail/lists/users-global-libreoffice$ ls -lat ]
> | -rw-------  1 lee lee   5012 14. Jul 17:26 1161
> | -rw-------  1 lee lee   4896 14. Jul 17:26 1160
> | -rw-------  1 lee lee   4909 14. Jul 17:26 1159.bz2
> `----

ls -l doesn't report the size of the body of the email. The
documentation of nnml-compressed-files-size-threshold indicates that the
headers are not included when applying the threshold:

,----[ C-h v nnml-compressed-files-size-threshold RET ]
| Default size threshold for compressed message files.
| Message files with bodies larger than that many characters will
                     ^^^^^^
| be automatically compressed if `nnml-use-compressed-files' is
| non-nil.
`----

Could that be it?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Good car to drive after a war"                              Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: compressing articles not working correctly
@ 2011-07-14 16:37   ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2011-07-14 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

sorry, nothing to do with the subject of the thread, but the last two
articles have stuff taken from buffers, that looks quite nice, like
this:

>> ,---- [ lee@yun:~/Mail/mail/lists/users-global-libreoffice$ ls -lat ]
>> | -rw-------  1 lee lee   5012 14. Jul 17:26 1161
>> | -rw-------  1 lee lee   4896 14. Jul 17:26 1160
>> | -rw-------  1 lee lee   4909 14. Jul 17:26 1159.bz2
>> `----

What module do I need to get this type of quotes?

Thanks a lot,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/

* Re: compressing articles not working correctly
@ 2011-07-14 16:56     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-07-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:37:51 +0100, Angel wrote:

> What module do I need to get this type of quotes?

boxquote.el - http://www.davep.org/emacs/boxquote.el

  :-),

   Adam

--

@ 2011-07-14 17:34     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-14 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> sorry, nothing to do with the subject of the thread, but the last two
> articles have stuff taken from buffers, that looks quite nice, like
> this:
>
>>> ,---- [ lee@yun:~/Mail/mail/lists/users-global-libreoffice$ ls -lat ]
>>> `----
>
> What module do I need to get this type of quotes?
>
> Thanks a lot,

boxquote

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BoxQuote

* Re: compressing articles not working correctly
@ 2011-07-14 20:02   ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-14 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:46:37 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> ,---- [ lee@yun:~/Mail/mail/lists/users-global-libreoffice$ ls -lat ]
>> | -rw-------  1 lee lee   5012 14. Jul 17:26 1161
>> | -rw-------  1 lee lee   4896 14. Jul 17:26 1160
>> | -rw-------  1 lee lee   4909 14. Jul 17:26 1159.bz2
>> `----
>
> ls -l doesn't report the size of the body of the email. The
> documentation of nnml-compressed-files-size-threshold indicates that the
> headers are not included when applying the threshold:
>
> ,----[ C-h v nnml-compressed-files-size-threshold RET ]
> | Default size threshold for compressed message files.
> | Message files with bodies larger than that many characters will
>                      ^^^^^^
> | be automatically compressed if `nnml-use-compressed-files' is
> | non-nil.
> `----
>
> Could that be it?

Hm, looks like it.  I checked above articles and found that the body is
only about 1kB.

The idea is to save disk space without losing more speed than necessary
due to compression.  Each article will occupy at least 4kB because
that's the sector size.  I could probably set the threshold to -1 and
have all articles compressed, but for those articles that are smaller
than 4kB, including headers, compression isn't needed.  The same goes
for articles >4kB<8kB uncompressed and still >4kB<8kB when
compressed. Looks like I should write some program that scans the
article storage and compresses all uncompressed articles depending on
whether the compression does save disk space or not ... The speed gain
might be not worth it because it doesn't take awfully long to
(un-)compress small articles.  Hmm.

* Re: compressing articles not working correctly
@ 2011-07-15  9:40       ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2011-07-15  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:37:51 +0100, Angel wrote:
>
>> What module do I need to get this type of quotes?
>
> boxquote.el - http://www.davep.org/emacs/boxquote.el

Sweet. I will give it a try.

Thanks,