* Lars's "we:search" for local use?
@ 2003-07-23 12:05 James Leifer
From: James Leifer @ 2003-07-23 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has tried using Lars's "we:search"
(http://gmane.org/we/) to index and search local messages under gnus?

He describes it thus:

  we:search is a specialized news/mail search engine designed to be
  able to handle tens of millions of messages. It can add new messages
  to its index in real time, which makes it ideal for providing
  up-to-the second search results for a news spool.

It looks quite cool...  I was thinking of trying to setup swish++ and
Kai's nnir but then noticed we:search.

James
--
James Leifer, INRIA Rocquencourt, France

* Re: Lars's "we:search" for local use?
@ 2003-07-25  6:17 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-07-25  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 23 jui 2003, James Leifer outgrape:

>  Hi,

Hi,

>  I wonder if anyone has tried using Lars's "we:search"
>  (http://gmane.org/we/) to index and search local messages under gnus?

I didn't but it really sounds awesome. How about comparing we:search
with swish-e/swish-++ ? Did you try ?

>  He describes it thus:
>
>  we:search is a specialized news/mail search engine designed to be
>  able to handle tens of millions of messages. It can add new messages
>  to its index in real time, which makes it ideal for providing
>  up-to-the second search results for a news spool.
>
>  It looks quite cool...  I was thinking of trying to setup swish++ and
>  Kai's nnir but then noticed we:search.

I currently runs a closed solution. I use swish-e with nnir kai's
solution it works quite good. At least it does its job. I have heard
that swish-++ was quicker than swish-e but IIRC swish-++ was buggy on
my current SID (swish-++ entered into an infinite loop).

/me adds it into my TODO list for today :)

>  James

zeDek
--
"Stefanie verpiß Dich!" Heinz Sollich <heinz@ventoux.in-berlin.de>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Lars's "we:search" for local use?
@ 2003-07-25 21:22   ` James Leifer
From: James Leifer @ 2003-07-25 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: larsi, Xavier Maillard

Hi there,

> I didn't but it really sounds awesome. How about comparing we:search
> with swish-e/swish-++ ? Did you try ?

Not yet.  I was too lazy/busy to play and didn't find the promised
INSTALLATION file in the tarball (we-search-0.6) so decided to leave
it to someone more energetic to hack...

If you try, do tell!

Best wishes,
James
--
James Leifer, INRIA Rocquencourt, France