* One recipient per line
@ 2003-12-06 22:21 Andrew Korty
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Andrew Korty @ 2003-12-06 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings.  Is there a configuration option to make message.el put no
more than one recipient per line in the header when I reply to a
message?  Currently, message.el puts as many recipients as will fit
onto each line.  So, it would normally do something like

        To: recipient1@example.com, recipient2@example.com,
                  recipient3@example.com

But I want

        To: recipient1@example.com,
                  recipient2@example.com,
                  recipient3@example.com

If this behavior isn't configurable, could someone point me to the
code I need to advise or override?

--
Andrew J. Korty, Principal Security Engineer, GCIA, GCFA
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology

* Re: One recipient per line
@ 2003-12-07 12:39 ` Reiner Steib
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-12-07 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 06 2003, Andrew Korty wrote:

> Is there a configuration option to make message.el put no more than
> one recipient per line in the header when I reply to a message?

Is there any particular reason for this?

> But I want
>
>         To: recipient1@example.com,
>                   recipient2@example.com,
>                   recipient3@example.com

`RET runs the command newline', `SPC runs the command
self-insert-command'.  ;-)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: One recipient per line
@ 2003-12-07 18:48 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-12-07 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Korty <ajk@iu.edu> disait récemment que :

> Greetings.  Is there a configuration option to make message.el put no
> more than one recipient per line in the header when I reply to a
> message?  Currently, message.el puts as many recipients as will fit
> onto each line.  So, it would normally do something like
>
>         To: recipient1@example.com, recipient2@example.com,
>                   recipient3@example.com
>
> But I want
>
>         To: recipient1@example.com,
>                   recipient2@example.com,
>                   recipient3@example.com
>
> If this behavior isn't configurable, could someone point me to the
> code I need to advise or override?

I don't have the solution to your problem even if I didn't search too
much :) I am just curious : why do you want that behaviour ? Any
technical reason ?

zeDek

* Re: One recipient per line
@ 2003-12-07 20:17   ` Andrew Korty
From: Andrew Korty @ 2003-12-07 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> Andrew Korty <ajk@iu.edu> disait récemment que :
>
>> Greetings.  Is there a configuration option to make message.el put no
>> more than one recipient per line in the header when I reply to a
>> message?  Currently, message.el puts as many recipients as will fit
>> onto each line.  So, it would normally do something like
>>
>>         To: recipient1@example.com, recipient2@example.com,
>>                   recipient3@example.com
>>
>> But I want
>>
>>         To: recipient1@example.com,
>>                   recipient2@example.com,
>>                   recipient3@example.com
>>
>> If this behavior isn't configurable, could someone point me to the
>> code I need to advise or override?
>
> I don't have the solution to your problem even if I didn't search too
> much :) I am just curious : why do you want that behaviour ? Any
> technical reason ?

It would make it easier to see each and every recipient.  It would be
especially useful when replying to a long list of people, like

        To: "Co-worker One" <coworker1@example.com>,
                  "Co-worker Two" <coworker2@example.com>,
                  "Friend One" <f1@example.com>, boss@example.com,
                  "Friend Two" <f2@example.com>

It's easy to miss boss@example.com, and not just because it has no
associated full name.  If it were on its own line, it would be
slightly easier to notice.

--

@ 2003-12-08  9:12 ` James Leifer
From: James Leifer @ 2003-12-08  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Korty <ajk@iu.edu> writes:

> Greetings.  Is there a configuration option to make message.el put no
> more than one recipient per line in the header when I reply to a
> message?

Just off the top of my head, it probably would be easy to write a
little function that

* narrows to the To, BCC, and CC fields (others?)

* searches and replaces the space separators between run-on email
  addresses by a newline

The second requires care: you can't just search for

  , *

since there may be commas lurking inside quotes or inside the email
addresses themselves.  I guess there are regexps lurking inside the
gnus or message codebase for identifying the boundaries between email
addresses which you could reuse.

You could then bind this wonderful function to M-q, which currently
does nothing useful in the headers...

Good luck!

-James

* Re: One recipient per line
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-12-31  3:11 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-12-31  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Korty <ajk@iu.edu> writes:

> But I want
>
>         To: recipient1@example.com,
>                   recipient2@example.com,
>                   recipient3@example.com

Well, the address headers are filled by `message-fill-address', and
it would be quite easy to change it to fill using this style
instead.  Or it could be customizable.  But I'm not really sure that
it makes much sense...