* Re: "replying" to my own messages
       [not found]               ` <m2iso8p4b5.fsf@DHCP-45-226.cs.caltech.edu>
@ 2003-09-10  9:01                 ` James Leifer
From: James Leifer @ 2003-09-10  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

that has been posted to gnu.emacs.gnus as well.

Nevin Kapur <kapur@caltech.edu> writes:

> James Leifer <James.Leifer@inria.fr> writes:
>
>> When I have a mail message for which I am in the CC list but am not
>> the To field recipient then neither reply, wide reply, nor followup
>> include the others listed in the CC field.  Is that the expected
>> behaviour?
>>
>> I should say that I have
>>
>> (setq message-dont-reply-to-names ".*James\\.Leifer@inria\\.fr.*")
>>
>> in my gnus.el.
>
> That does look suspicious.  Without looking at the code I can't say
> for sure but it may be that those ".*"'s are matching everything.
> Try removing them.  I use (something like)
>
> (setq message-dont-reply-to-names (regexp-opt
>  '("nevin@jhu.edu" "kapur@jhu.edu")))
>
>  which creates a regular expression that matches precisely my emails.

Hi Nevin,

Sorry for the delayed reply.  You're right: it was my regexp that was
matching too much. Thanks for helping me with the problem!

I'm copying this message to the ding list since I think that the
current handling of message-dont-reply-to-names (I'll write m-d-r-t-n
below) is ``suprising'', if not buggy.

I looked briefly in message.el and it seems that the string of
addresses are filtered according to m-d-r-t-n and then *later* split
into separate email addresses.

The advantages of doing it the other way round, i.e. splitting the
addresses first and then filtering them one-by-one against m-d-r-t-n
are as follows, as I see it:

(1) The current setup makes it hard to deal with other people's MUAs
    mangling my address:

    " James Leifer" <James.Leifer@inria.fr>
    " 'James' Leifer" <James.Leifer@inria.fr>

    ... and so on with all manner of bizare stuff before my real email
    address.

    If one was matching the addresses separately, I could deal with
    all that cruft by using the regexp:

    .*James.Leifer@inria.fr.*

(2) I don't think that the change would hurt anyone who is currently
    happy with their m-d-r-t-n setting.

What do you think?

-James

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-09-10  9:01 UTC | newest]