From: Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr>
Cc: xemacs-beta@xemacs.org, ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: MSVC optimizer bug ?
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:04:27 +0200	[thread overview]

[Gnus mailing-list readers: xemacs-21.5.2 (Artichoke) crashes when
using the latest cvs Oort 0.04 gnus ont native win32.]

Well it is not clear to me if the msvc optimizer is faulty: I got crashes
with the debug version too. The  elisp code that triggers the bug is there in
nnmail.el :

line 1641:
	(when (setq new
		    (mail-source-fetch
		     source
		     (gnus-byte-compile
		      `(lambda (file orig-file)
			 (nnmail-split-incoming
			  file ',(intern (format "%s-save-mail" method))
			  ',spool-func
			  (if (equal file orig-file)
			      nil
			    (nnmail-get-split-group orig-file ',source))
			  ',(intern (format "%s-active-number" method)))))))

Removing gnus-byte-compile avoids the crash.
`gnus-byte-compile' is defined in gnus-util.el as:

(defun gnus-byte-compile (form)
  "Byte-compile FORM if `gnus-use-byte-compile' is non-nil."
  (if gnus-use-byte-compile
      (progn
	(require 'bytecomp)
	(defalias 'gnus-byte-compile 'byte-compile)
	(byte-compile form))
    form))

--
Fabrice Popineau