* Best way to create an archive group
@ 1997-02-09  0:22 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-02-09  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wonder what's the best way of creating an archive group.  If I make
an nnml group, it's listed in ~/Mail/active, and the directory is in
~/Mail.  But I'd rather make my archive server nnml+arch, with group
nnml+arch:news-stuff in ~/News/news-stuff/, nnml+arch:mail-stuff in
~/News/mail-stuff, etc.

What's the best way to go about it?  I've tried `G m' and things, but
I've failed.  In fact, strange things began happening to my active
file after such experiments with other nnml servers. :-(

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Best way to create an archive group
@ 1997-02-10  4:46 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-10  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> I wonder what's the best way of creating an archive group.  If I make
> an nnml group, it's listed in ~/Mail/active, and the directory is in
> ~/Mail.  But I'd rather make my archive server nnml+arch, with group
> nnml+arch:news-stuff in ~/News/news-stuff/, nnml+arch:mail-stuff in
> ~/News/mail-stuff, etc.

I'd recommending creating such a server in the server buffer, and then
use the virtual server name as the select method when creating
groups.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Best way to create an archive group
@ 1997-02-10 14:11   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-02-10 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
>
> > I wonder what's the best way of creating an archive group.  If I make
> > an nnml group, it's listed in ~/Mail/active, and the directory is in
> > ~/Mail.  But I'd rather make my archive server nnml+arch, with group
> > nnml+arch:news-stuff in ~/News/news-stuff/, nnml+arch:mail-stuff in
> > ~/News/mail-stuff, etc.
>
> I'd recommending creating such a server in the server buffer, and then
> use the virtual server name as the select method when creating
> groups.

Yes, this works.  But how do I select the appropriate directory?  It's
still being saved to ~/Mail/...

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Good pings come in small packets.

* Re: Best way to create an archive group
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-11 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > I'd recommending creating such a server in the server buffer, and then
> > use the virtual server name as the select method when creating
> > groups.
>
> Yes, this works.  But how do I select the appropriate directory?  It's
> still being saved to ~/Mail/...

You set `nnml-directory' (etc.) in the virtual server definition.
Doesn't that work?

@ 1997-02-12  4:44       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-02-12  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> You set `nnml-directory' (etc.) in the virtual server definition.
> Doesn't that work?

Yes (I thanked privately), but I also needed to set up
nnml-active-file to something other than "~/Mail/active".  Otherwise,
the bogus nnml:whatever groups kept coming up.  I think some of these
things should be mentioned in the manual, under the "Archive servers"
section.

Currently, the manual explains how to set `gnus-message-archive-method',
but not how to create your own archive servers for saving mail and
news (even those *not* sent by you).

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Oh lord won't you buy me a color TV...

* Re: Best way to create an archive group
@ 1997-02-12  9:13       ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1997-02-12  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

 >> > I'd recommending creating such a server in the server buffer, and then
 >> > use the virtual server name as the select method when creating
 >> > groups.

 >> Yes, this works.  But how do I select the appropriate directory?  It's
 >> still being saved to ~/Mail/...

 > You set `nnml-directory' (etc.) in the virtual server definition.
 > Doesn't that work?

You probably want to set 'nnml-active-file' as well.  If memory
serves, this saved me from several headaches when I've had two nnml
servers floating around.

--Paul