* How to make pop3-movemail work?
@ 1997-01-08  1:03 John Twilley
From: John Twilley @ 1997-01-08  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Iwanna use APOP.  I don't mind using alpha code, but there's no hints or
docs or anything on the mailing lists that I can see.  Looks like
someone wrote the function, but nobody's even mentioned actually using
it.

Please free me from using Netscape and Eudora.
Jack.

* Re: How to make pop3-movemail work?
@ 1997-01-08 16:07 ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-01-08 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Caution: Happy Fun Ball may
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | suddenly accelerate to dangerous

* Re: How to make pop3-movemail work?
@ 1997-01-08 16:47   ` John Twilley
From: John Twilley @ 1997-01-08 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-01-08 17:41     ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-01-08 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke,
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | get away immediately. Seek shelter

@ 1997-01-08 20:23       ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1997-01-08 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> writes:

> When I wrote pop3-movemail, it was intended to replace the call-process
> that invokes nnmail-movemail-program... and nnmail-movemail-program
> could go away because it is not needed anymore.

It'll still be needed for those of us using Kerberos-authenticated POP
service.  Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to use the
Kerberos code in a subprocess that doesn't have access to the network
file descriptor being used to talk to the POP server.  (I looked into
this after seeing the pop3 code included.)

Ken

* Re: How to make pop3-movemail work?
@ 1997-01-08 21:03         ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-01-08 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              |

@ 1997-01-08 21:38           ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-01-08 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Rich Pieri writes:

>KR> It'll still be needed for those of us using Kerberos-authenticated POP
>KR> service.
>
>True enough... I had forgotten about KPOP, mostly because I never
>intended to implement Kerberos in Emacs-Lisp.

  Never say never. :)  Once the shared library support in XEmacs is firmer,
you should be able to do kerberos if you are insane enough to want to.

  Bwa hahahaha.

-Bill P.

* Re: How to make pop3-movemail work?
@ 1997-01-08 22:30             ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1997-01-08 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Rich Pieri, ding

>  Never say never. :)  Once the shared library support in XEmacs is firmer,
>you should be able to do kerberos if you are insane enough to want to.

nah, that's the *clean* way to do it.

insane is:
	(deskey samp-ks samp-key 'encrypt)
	(des samp-ks samp-data)
	(block-to-string samp-data) => "8ca64de9c1b123a7"

It shows that the lack of 32 bit ints makes emacs about between 10 and
100 times slower than perl for this sort of thing.  (With perl that
means about 1mips-second to generate a krb4 authenticator.)

* Re: How to make pop3-movemail work?
@ 1997-01-08 23:13             ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-01-08 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1997-01-09  1:17       ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1997-01-09  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > When I wrote pop3-movemail, it was intended to replace the call-process
 > that invokes nnmail-movemail-program... and nnmail-movemail-program
 > could go away because it is not needed anymore.

I'm fairly sure it should still be used to correctly lock a local mail
spool while grabbing mail from it.

--Paul