* What font do you use in Emacs/XEmacs
@ 1996-06-26 20:39 Danny Siu
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Danny Siu @ 1996-06-26 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since Gnus uses italic in many places, I just wonder what font do people use
to display that?

Courier 12 seems to work fine but it's too hard to read.
lucidasanstypewriter-12 is clean and easy to read _BUT_ doesn't have italic.

Does anyone have a clean 12 pointer fixed width font with italic and bold?
Can I have a pointer to that font?

The fonts used in the screen shots in the xemacs faq looks good.  Anyone
knows what font is that?

BTW, you can look at the screen shots at:
<http://www.xemacs.org/faq/xemacs-faq.html#Q1_0_9>

Thanks,

--
                                                                ^..^
 '/..\"                                                        ( oo )  )~

* Re: What font do you use in Emacs/XEmacs
@ 1996-06-26 22:38 ` Steven L Baur
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-26 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Danny> Since Gnus uses italic in many places, I just wonder what font
Danny> do people use to display that?

Danny> Courier 12 seems to work fine but it's too hard to read.
Danny> lucidasanstypewriter-12 is clean and easy to read _BUT_ doesn't
Danny> have italic.

Danny> Does anyone have a clean 12 pointer fixed width font with
Danny> italic and bold?  Can I have a pointer to that font?

Danny> The fonts used in the screen shots in the xemacs faq looks
Danny> good.  Anyone knows what font is that?

The fonts used in the screen snapshots are:
emacs*font:     fixed
Emacs.default.attributeFont: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--0-0-75-75-c-0-iso8859-1
Emacs.bold.attributeFont: -misc-fixed-bold-r-semicondensed--0-0-75-75-c-0-iso8859-1
Emacs.italic.attributeFont: -schumacher-clean-medium-i-normal--12-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
Emacs.bold-italic.attributeFont: -adobe-courier-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1

This is something of a hack since one or both of the italic fonts is
slightly smaller than the other fonts.  XEmacs doesn't have a problem
with this, but GNU Emacs chokes and spits up an warning message,
though it will still run.

I prefer reducing the default starting font size of XEmacs so that I
can fit two XEmacs frames side-by-side without overlapping.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: What font do you use in Emacs/XEmacs
@ 1996-06-26 23:54 ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1996-06-26 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Danny Siu <dsiu@mv.us.adobe.com> writes:
> Since Gnus uses italic in many places, I just wonder what font do people use
> to display that?
>
> Courier 12 seems to work fine but it's too hard to read.
> lucidasanstypewriter-12 is clean and easy to read _BUT_ doesn't have italic.

I'd be -very- interested in any emailed replies to this.

I prefer using 9x15 for the default font and it doesn't have italic,
either.  What I currently do in 19.31 is to use courier for missing
stuff:
(set-face-font 'italic  "-*-courier-medium-o-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*")
(set-face-font 'bold-italic "-*-courier-bold-o-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*")

If you use hilit-lookup-face-create to create your fonts, it'll copy
the font off those two when necessary.  (Or, did I patch it?  I
forget.  If hl319 doesn't do it, doesn't, mail me.)

This isn't bad at all, except for flakiness in the redisplay stuff in
GNU Emacs caused by the use of two different fonts all over the place
(and I mean -all over-, you should see what my c/elisp/cperl mode
buffers look like...if you have a strong eye and stomach :-).

You get random pixel droppings if you page through stuff often.  Also,
cursor movement in the wrong direction can cause "thinning" of certain
characters.

I'm hoping XEmacs will handle this correctly.  I'm pretty sure it should.

-Sudish

* Re: What font do you use in Emacs/XEmacs
@ 1996-06-27  2:02 ` Andrew Cosgriff
From: Andrew Cosgriff @ 1996-06-27  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

** "DS" == Danny Siu <dsiu@mv.us.adobe.com> writes:

DS> Since Gnus uses italic in many places, I just wonder what font do people
DS> use to display that?

I know you didn't want to hear about non-fixed-width fonts, but I use Palatino
(comes with Solaris as an F3 font, but there's pcf's there, so you can take
them away and use them on, say, Linux ;-) for my default font, and Gill Sans
(prolly my favourite font at the moment - kind of like helvetica only better)
for menus and modelines and stuff like that.

I live for proportional fonts...Long live XEmacs ! :)

Any word on VISA payment for the TShirts, Lars ?  I kind of feel better doing
that than sending cash to the other side of the world, but i'll send cash if
need be.

Enjoy,
 Andrew.
--
 - Andrew J Cosgriff - ajc@bing.wattle.id.au -          Mobile : +61-14-856-122
 SysAdmin / Support Dude, UNICO Computer Systems    PGP & MIME ok and preferred

* Re: What font do you use in Emacs/XEmacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-06-27  7:48 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-06-27  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use `fixed', which doesn't include an italic equivalent.  Instead I
have:

  (set-face-foreground 'italic "grey60")
  (set-face-foreground 'bold-italic "grey60")
  (condition-case nil
      (make-face-bold 'bold-italic)
    (error)))

in my .emacs.

* Re: What font do you use in Emacs/XEmacs
@ 1996-06-27  8:00   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-27  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ajc> I know you didn't want to hear about non-fixed-width fonts, but I
ajc> use Palatino (comes with Solaris as an F3 font, but there's pcf's
ajc> there, so you can take them away and use them on, say, Linux ;-)
ajc> for my default font, and Gill Sans (prolly my favourite font at
ajc> the moment - kind of like helvetica only better) for menus and
ajc> modelines and stuff like that.

ajc> I live for proportional fonts...Long live XEmacs ! :)

No, no.  It's C-u 40 M-x praise-be-unto-xemacs  (after you have let
custom.el do its ``hopeless, tasteless, face f***age'')  :-)

I used proportional fonts for a time with exmh, and never got
comfortable with the fact that it was difficult to tell what the
message would look like on a fixed width font.  What I'd like to see
is only the *Article* buffer displayed in a proportional font, but
have message mode and everything else come up in a (boring) fixed
width font.  Can you do something like that?

--

@ 1996-06-27 19:20   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-27 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Cosgriff <ajc@unico.com.au> writes:

> Any word on VISA payment for the TShirts, Lars ?  I kind of feel
> better doing that than sending cash to the other side of the world,
> but i'll send cash if need be.

The VISA solution is being worked on.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen