* Please don't bind "obarray" (gnus-agent)
@ 2004-03-03 18:39 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2004-03-03 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hard a hard time tracking down a but that prevented me from running
Gnus after the latest cvs update.

Apparently gnus-agent-read-local and gnus-agent-save-local bind
obarray.  When one of them for some reason needed to ask for a "coding
system for file", emacs could not find the symbols it needed.  They
are apparently in the obarray.  And gave an error.  Which could not be
caught by the debugger, because debugging uses obarray too.

The *Messages* buffer worked, so I eventually found the problem by
inserting lots of "message" calls.

I change the two functions to use "my-obarray" instead.  I'm not
actually sure how the functions work, so I hope I did not damage
anything.

* Re: Please don't bind "obarray" (gnus-agent)
@ 2004-03-04  1:03 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-03-04  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> I hard a hard time tracking down a but that prevented me from running
> Gnus after the latest cvs update.
>
> Apparently gnus-agent-read-local and gnus-agent-save-local bind
> obarray.  When one of them for some reason needed to ask for a "coding
> system for file", emacs could not find the symbols it needed.  They
> are apparently in the obarray.  And gave an error.  Which could not be
> caught by the debugger, because debugging uses obarray too.
>
> The *Messages* buffer worked, so I eventually found the problem by
> inserting lots of "message" calls.
>
> I change the two functions to use "my-obarray" instead.  I'm not
> actually sure how the functions work, so I hope I did not damage
> anything.

You didn't.

Kevin