From: Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk>
Subject: You can now ding@ifi.uio.no from nntp.
Date: 08 Sep 1996 13:39:22 +0200	[thread overview]

There is new a bidirectional gateway from ding@ifi.uio.no to the
public nntp server at sunsite.auc.dk.  The address is:

	<URL:news://sunsite.auc.dk/emacs.ding>

With Netscape, you can just click on the URL to read the group.  With
Gnus 5.3, it is a lot more work.  Take the following as a bug report:

Clicking on the URL won't work.  It parses the string as a message-id
rather than a host name.  Instead, browse the nntp server with

	`B nntp RET sunsite.auc.dk RET'

move point to the emacs.ding group, and press `u' to subscribe to the
group.   Press `l' to get the normal group buffer back.

You can now read the `nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding' group.
Unfortunately, the number of read articles won't be updated.  To fix
this, quit emacs.  Now *don't* start a fresh Gnus!  If you do, your
`.newsrc.eld' will be destroyed.  Instead, load the `.newsrc.eld' in a
buffer, find the following line (search for "#")

	("nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding" 3 nil nil (nntp "sunsite.auc.dk") ((quit-config #<killed buffer> . browse)))

and delete the "((quit-config #<killed buffer> . browse))"
expression.  You can now start Gnus read the emacs.ding group as a normal
newsgroup.

To post to the emacs.ding group, you must press `C-u C-c C-c' instead
of `C-c C-c' in the message compose buffer.  Otherwise, Gnus will
attempt to use your the local nntp instead of sunsite.  I always
forget this, and think it is a bad default.

PS: I'd like to see all the (newsgroup-less) emacs mailing list on
sunsite, also those who only get a mail every second month.  If
administrate a mailing list for some emacs package, please contact me.

PPS:  I use the following script to feed the mail into the newsgroup,
and have the list itself as moderator.  If there is any of the mail &
news experts here that can see problems with this approach, please let
me know.  The script is called from /etc/aliases with the newsgroup as
argument.

#! /bin/sh
NNTPSERVER=sunsite.auc.dk
export NNTPSERVER
INEWS=/pack/dnews/inews
FORMAIL=/pack/procmail/bin/formail
NEWSGROUPS=$1
( $FORMAIL -I "Newsgroups: $NEWSGROUPS" \
          -a "Approved: slist@sunsite.auc.dk" \
          -R "From " "X-Mail-From: " \
          -R "Received:" "X-Mail-Received:" \
          -R "Path:" "X-Mail-Path:" \