* Avoid yanking in signature when citing?
@ 1998-03-18 21:22 Olaf Jahn
From: Olaf Jahn @ 1998-03-18 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everybody.

When citing an article I'd like to avoid yanking in the cited
article's signature as well (very irritating when using Supercite).

I'm quite positive this is possible (hopefully without rewriting
message-cite-original or something), only so far I couldn't figure out
which variable enables/toggles this behaviour. Yes, the signature gets
recognized by gnus-signature-separator, and it is displayed with
gnus-signature-face in the article buffer. Therefore I can't imagine
that switching off the citing of signatures should be more than setting
the right variable.

I'm using xemacs 19.16 and gnus v5.4.65 in connection with tm and
Supercite.

Any help would be appreciated.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jahn                                      jahno@math.tu-berlin.de
                                   http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/~jahno

* Re: Avoid yanking in signature when citing?
@ 1998-03-18 22:34 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-03-18 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Olaf> When citing an article I'd like to avoid yanking in the cited
  Olaf> article's signature as well (very irritating when using
  Olaf> Supercite).

Gnus 5.6 has message-cite-original-without-signature, but I'm afraid
this won't work with Supercite.  Hm...

kai
--
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: Avoid yanking in signature when citing?
@ 1998-03-19 16:29   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-03-19 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   Olaf> When citing an article I'd like to avoid yanking in the cited
>   Olaf> article's signature as well (very irritating when using
>   Olaf> Supercite).
>
> Gnus 5.6 has message-cite-original-without-signature, but I'm afraid
> this won't work with Supercite.  Hm...

Right.  Eviscerating the signature before doing anything else should
be done in Supercite, or added to one of its hooks.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Avoid yanking in signature when citing?
@ 1998-03-19 16:37     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-03-19 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Hrvoje> Right.  Eviscerating the signature before doing anything
  Hrvoje> else should be done in Supercite, or added to one of its
  Hrvoje> hooks.

It could also be done by message.el: the standard interface is that
the citation functions expect the message to be in the current buffer
and that point and mark indicate the beginning and the end of the
message.  So message.el could just insert the complete message minus
the signature into the buffer and then call the citation function.
This would have the advantage of working with any citation function.

Or would this be bad design?

kai
--
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: Avoid yanking in signature when citing?
@ 1998-03-20 13:08       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-03-20 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Or would this be bad design?

I think it should be the `message-cite-function' function which should
decide what to do about the signature.

PS:

MESFOR> It is a common practice for followup agents to enable the incor-
MESFOR> poration of the followed-up article (the "precursor") as a quota-
MESFOR> tion. This SHOULD be done by prefacing each line of the quoted
MESFOR> text (even if it is empty) with the character ">" (or preferably
MESFOR> with "> "). This will result in multiple levels of ">" when quoted
MESFOR> content itself contains quoted content. The followup agent SHOULD
MESFOR> also precede the quoted content by an "attribution line" incor-
MESFOR> porating at least the name of the precursor's poster.