* Splitting of ding@ifi
@ 1997-04-03 16:45 Hrvoje Niksic
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-04-03 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

This isn't really relevant to the list (well, partially), but how do
you people split the messages meant for this list?  I mean, it doesn't
seem to come with a handy header like `X-Mailing-List', and it leaves
the `Sender' intact.

Currently, my fancy mail splitting entry for ding list looks like
this:

     ("received" "ding@ifi" "ding.discuss")

But this is unsatisfactory, as it seems to miss some messages, which
end up in `private' newsgroup.  Is there a way around this?  If not,
could the list owner please add the `X-Mailing-List' header?

It's somehow paradoxical that the only list I'm having problem of
splitting with is the one about my favourite "little" peace of
kitchen-sink newsreader. :-)

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Splitting of ding@ifi
@ 1997-04-03 17:10 ` Per Abrahamsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-04-03 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> This isn't really relevant to the list (well, partially), but how do
> you people split the messages meant for this list?  I mean, it doesn't
> seem to come with a handy header like `X-Mailing-List', and it leaves
> the `Sender' intact.

Here is my entry for the list:

	     (| (any "ding@\\(ifi\\.uio\\.no\\|gnus\\.org\\)" "ding.gnus")
		("newsgroups" "emacs\\.ding" "ding.gnus")
		("x-from-line" "ding-request" "ding.gnus"))

* Re: Splitting of ding@ifi
@ 1997-04-03 17:26   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-04-03 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> 	     (| (any "ding@\\(ifi\\.uio\\.no\\|gnus\\.org\\)" "ding.gnus")

Thanks.  I think I'll have to use that.

> 		("x-from-line" "ding-request" "ding.gnus"))

Do you mean to say that splitting on `X-From-Line' actually works for
you?  For me it doesn't, because this header is not created when the
splitting is done -- it's still the plain `From_'.  Once the mail is
is saved to Gnus folders, `B q' and `B r' give the correct results,
though.

Still, matching on `X-From-Line' is not usable for me.  If it were, it
would be very simple to weed out the mails from any mailing list.

Matching the `From_' header is the one feature from the usual mail
splitting that I miss in fancy mail splitting.  Lars, can you make
`nnmail-split-it' construct a non-`:' regexp for a special `from_'
entry?  E.g.:

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(| ...
          (from_ "ding" "ding.list")
          ...))

Which would construct a regexp like:

"^from .*\\<ding\\>"

or something like that.

P.S.
To the people not familiar with `nnmail-split-fancy': note that just
specifying a ("from " "ding" "ding.list") entry won't work, as it
would insist on having a `:' in the entry (it would create a regexp
to the effect of "from :.*\\<ding\\>").  Matching on `X-From-Line'
doesn't work either, for the reasons stated above.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],(unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}

* Re: Splitting of ding@ifi
@ 1997-04-03 17:44     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-04-03 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>
> > 	     (| (any "ding@\\(ifi\\.uio\\.no\\|gnus\\.org\\)" "ding.gnus")
>
> Thanks.  I think I'll have to use that.
>
> > 		("x-from-line" "ding-request" "ding.gnus"))
>
> Do you mean to say that splitting on `X-From-Line' actually works for
> you?

It didn't use to, I don't remember why I added it.  Maybe for `B r'.

If I should choose between the `any' match and a working
"x-from-line", I'd much prefer the former.  The message I'm replying
to right now is a good example of why.  It has the following line:

Because you CC'ed it to me, and the CC arrived before the list copy.
Thus, it would have ended in nnml:misc.misc, while the copy from the
mailing list would still end up in nnml:duplicate.

* Re: Splitting of ding@ifi
@ 1997-04-03 17:51 ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 1997-04-03 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> This isn't really relevant to the list (well, partially), but how do
> you people split the messages meant for this list?  I mean, it doesn't
> seem to come with a handy header like `X-Mailing-List', and it leaves
> the `Sender' intact.
>
> Currently, my fancy mail splitting entry for ding list looks like
> this:
>
>      ("received" "ding@ifi" "ding.discuss")

In any case the above isn't a good idea since list submissions can now
be made to 'ding@gnus.org'.

* Re: Splitting of ding@ifi
@ 1997-04-03 18:48 ` Dewey M. Sasser
From: Dewey M. Sasser @ 1997-04-03 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    HN> This isn't really relevant to the list (well, partially), but
    HN> how do you people split the messages meant for this list?  I
    HN> mean, it doesn't seem to come with a handy header like
    HN> `X-Mailing-List', and it leaves the `Sender' intact.

    HN> Currently, my fancy mail splitting entry for ding list looks
    HN> like this:

    HN>      ("received" "ding@ifi" "ding.discuss")

I wrote a package called "mailsplit" (see below) to turn my
specifications into splits.  I write:

   ("gnus-development"      :regexp "\\(ding@ifi.uio.no\\|ding@gnus.org\\)"
                            :mail-address "ding")

It writes (fancy mail splitting, of course):

(|
  (direct "\\(ding@ifi.uio.no\\|ding@gnus.org\\)"
     "Mail.mailing-lists.gnus-development")
  ("sender" "owner-ding" "Mail.mailing-lists.gnus-development")
  ("to" "ding-outgoing" "Mail.mailing-lists.gnus-development"))

Where direct is defined with:

(prepend-to-list-unique nnmail-split-abbrev-alist
			'(direct . "to\\|cc\\|apparently-to"))

(`prepend-to-list-unique' is my own creation.)

That "to" "ding-outgoing" line is because I'm on some lists where an
automatic tool sends directly to the "outgoing" aliases.  (It's not
nice, but it allows sendmail to suppress duplicates for those poor
slobs who aren't using GNUS.)

The "sender" "owner-ding" is because I'm on a list that will
occasionally get a message with no evident direction to the list.
Someone BCC's it, probably.

Incidentally, I haven't yet released mailsplit because of lack of time
(or rather, other things to do), but if someone wants it, email me.

[...]

--
Dewey M. Sasser 			voice: (617) 494-6000
dewey@newvision.com                     PGP Key from public servers

* Re: Splitting of ding@ifi
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-04-03 18:55 ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1997-04-03 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Currently, my fancy mail splitting entry for ding list looks like
> this:
>
>      ("received" "ding@ifi" "ding.discuss")
>
> But this is unsatisfactory, as it seems to miss some messages, which
> end up in `private' newsgroup.  Is there a way around this?  If not,
> could the list owner please add the `X-Mailing-List' header?

I use the following, and don't think I've had anything misfiled,
although perhaps with someone posting to a newsgroup gateway??  Maybe
things are getting misfiled for you suddenly because of the new mail
going to 'ding@gnus.org'.

   ("ding@\\(ifi.uio.no\\|gnus.org\\)"		".ding"			t)
   ("gnus-bug@ifi.uio.no"			".ding"			t)

Uh, which gets turned into something like:
(any "ding@\\(ifi.uio.no\\|gnus.org\\)" "mail.list.ding")
(any "gnus-bug@ifi.uio.no" "mail.list.ding")

Oh, I see I need to add the new bugs@gnus.org too.

I also redefine any, thusly:

(setq
 nnmail-split-abbrev-alist
 '((any . "from\\|to\\|cc\\|sender\\|apparently-to\\|resent-from\\|resent-to\\|resent-cc\\|x-originally-to")
   (mail . "mailer-daemon\\|postmaster")))

If you're curious about the first form up there.  It's a joint
refiling/bbdb controls list.  My .gnus (without many useful comments,
since I just rewrote the filing/bbdb code I used in VM when I switched)
is available on the .gnus web page.
<URL:http://superdave.socom.com/gnus/>

--
David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu>       | Computer Systems Lab      __o
UCSD Dept. Computer Science - 0114  | Work: (619) 534-8604    _ \<,_