* Red Gnus v0.32 is released
@ 1996-09-10 22:22 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-10 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bug fixes.

Get it from <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/rgnus.tar.gz> or
"ftp.ifi.uio.no:/pub/emacs/gnus/".

ChangeLog since last release:

Wed Sep 11 00:22:01 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@ylfing.ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus.el: Red Gnus v0.32 is released.

Tue Sep 10 19:10:09 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@ylfing.ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus-kill.el (gnus-batch-score): Didn't work at all.

	* gnus-msg.el (gnus-summary-mail-nastygram): Place point at
	appropriate place.

	* gnus-util.el (gnus-make-sort-function): Would nix out the
	sorting list.

	* gnus-demon.el (gnus-demon-cancel): Don't run
	`cancel-function-timers'.

	* message.el (message-header-format-alist): Don't fill References
	headers.

Mon Sep  9 21:51:46 1996  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@ifi.uio.no>

	* nntp.el (nntp-server-action-alist): Don't try LIST ACTIVE GROUP
	on Netscape's brain-dead nntp server.

	* message.el (message-dont-send): Take proper actions.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Red Gnus v0.32 is released
@ 1996-09-10 23:39 ` Raja R Harinath
From: Raja R Harinath @ 1996-09-10 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> 	* nntp.el (nntp-server-action-alist): Don't try LIST ACTIVE GROUP
> 	on Netscape's brain-dead nntp server.

I looks the problem is not the Netscape server, but somewhere in
`nntp-try-list-active'.

Here's typescript for my news-server:

  Script started on Tue Sep 10 17:55:25 1996
  tera ~ > telnet news.cis.umn.edu nntp
  Trying 128.101.83.4 ...
  Connected to epx.cis.umn.edu.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  200 newsstand.tc.umn.edu InterNetNews NNRP server INN 1.4 22-Dec-93 ready (posting ok).
  LIST ACTIVE alt.nocem.misc
  501 [active|newsgroups|distributions|schema]
  GROUP alt.nocem.misc
  211 184 11941 13009 alt.nocem.misc
  QUIT
  205
  Connection closed by foreign host.
  tera ~ > exit
  exit

  script done on Tue Sep 10 17:56:09 1996

But somehow, `nntp-try-list-active' decides that

  nntp-server-list-active-group ==> t

When trying to debug `nntp-t-l-a', I popped to the ' *nntpd*' buffer: it
looked empty (didn't check for whitespace, though).  That would explain
why the `try...' code succeeds, but I couldn't figure out why the buffer
was empty.

End result, the same problem that others have been seeing, no
information on nntp groups.  Of course, a "5 g" takes care of that.

- Hari

* Re: Red Gnus v0.32 is released
@ 1996-09-11  0:38 ` David Lebel
From: David Lebel @ 1996-09-11  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

: 	* nntp.el (nntp-server-action-alist): Don't try LIST ACTIVE GROUP
: 	on Netscape's brain-dead nntp server.

	Netscape's brain-dead nntp server?  Netscape News is INN 1.4
on steroids.  In fact, it's only INN with SSL and a HTML-based
configuration system thrown in (and I'm still asking myself why they
are still asking 995$US for it ;-)).

	However, LIST ACTIVE GROUP was implemented only in very recent
(> '94), patch-based 1.4 versions of INN.  Why did Netscape didn't
implement those patches is an open question.

	...David

--
// d a v i d  l e b e l  <lebel@socom.com>       http://superdave.socom.com/
// analyst / system administrator / hacker          socom technologies, inc.

* Re: Red Gnus v0.32 is released
@ 1996-09-11  0:53   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-11  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Lebel <lebel@socom.com> writes:

> 	Netscape's brain-dead nntp server?  Netscape News is INN 1.4
> on steroids.  In fact, it's only INN with SSL and a HTML-based
> configuration system thrown in (and I'm still asking myself why they
> are still asking 995$US for it ;-)).
>
> 	However, LIST ACTIVE GROUP was implemented only in very recent
> (> '94), patch-based 1.4 versions of INN.  Why did Netscape didn't
> implement those patches is an open question.

The problem is not that Netscape's INN version doesn't implement LIST
ACTIVE GROUP -- the problem is that when it receives that command, it
responds by pumping out the entire active file.  If that's not brain
dead, I don't know what is.

@ 1996-09-11 11:20 ` Wesley.Hardaker
From: Wesley.Hardaker @ 1996-09-11 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Bug fixes.

Ya know...  If you keep doing only 'bug fixes', we'll lose the alpha
rating on rgnus...  *poke poke*

(just wondering what happened to the days of "New release with the
following 10 features, which probably means nothing works" ;-)

Wes

* Re: Red Gnus v0.32 is released
@ 1996-09-11 12:39   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-09-11 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wesley.Hardaker@sphys.unil.ch writes:

> Ya know...  If you keep doing only 'bug fixes', we'll lose the alpha
> rating on rgnus...  *poke poke*

Maybe it would be an idea to go for an official release?  I don't
think we need every version of Gnus to revolutionize newsreading as we
know it.  Incremental updates has been used for other software with
great success.

* Re: Red Gnus v0.32 is released
@ 1996-09-11 13:03     ` David Lebel
From: David Lebel @ 1996-09-11 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

: The problem is not that Netscape's INN version doesn't implement LIST
: ACTIVE GROUP -- the problem is that when it receives that command, it
: responds by pumping out the entire active file.  If that's not brain
: dead, I don't know what is.

	Are you sure?  When I issue this command to my Netscape News
server, I get the following trace:

---cut---
[0]$ telnet news.socom.com 119
Trying 206.108.56.8...
Connected to athena.socom.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 athena.socom.com InterNetNews NNRP server Netscape 1.1 951101 INN 1.4 22-Dec-93 ready (posting ok).
LIST ACTIVE socom.misc
501 [active|newsgroups|distributions|schema]
---cut---

	So, as you can see, it didn't pumped the active file, it just
issued an error code (501).

	...David

--

@ 1996-09-11 19:39   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-11 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wesley.Hardaker@sphys.unil.ch writes:

> Ya know...  If you keep doing only 'bug fixes', we'll lose the alpha
> rating on rgnus...  *poke poke*
>
> (just wondering what happened to the days of "New release with the
> following 10 features, which probably means nothing works" ;-)

I have a very good excuse:  I'm lazy.  :-)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-11 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Maybe it would be an idea to go for an official release?  I don't
> think we need every version of Gnus to revolutionize newsreading as we
> know it.  Incremental updates has been used for other software with
> great success.

Kinda boring, though?  :-)

No, there's tons of new stuff I want to add.  I'm just going through
one of my "ooh, I *have* to read *this* book, and *this* book,
and..."-periods.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-11 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Lebel <lebel@socom.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
>
> : The problem is not that Netscape's INN version doesn't implement LIST
> : ACTIVE GROUP -- the problem is that when it receives that command, it
> : responds by pumping out the entire active file.  If that's not brain
> : dead, I don't know what is.
>
> 	Are you sure?  When I issue this command to my Netscape News
> server, I get the following trace:
>
> ---cut---
> [0]$ telnet news.socom.com 119
> Trying 206.108.56.8...
> Connected to athena.socom.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 athena.socom.com InterNetNews NNRP server Netscape 1.1 951101 INN 1.4 22-Dec-93 ready (posting ok).
> LIST ACTIVE socom.misc
> 501 [active|newsgroups|distributions|schema]
> ---cut---
>
> 	So, as you can see, it didn't pumped the active file, it just
> issued an error code (501).

Escape character is '^]'.
200 <cencored> InterNetNews NNRP server Netscape 1.1 951101 INN 1.4 22-Dec-93 ready (posting ok).
list active alt.test
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
a.bsu.programming 3119 3100 y
a.bsu.religion 9259 9207 y
a.bsu.talk 3771 3756 y
aaa.inu-chan 249 247 y
ab.arnet 5 6 m
ab.general 24408 24294 y

Hey, it's the same release of the server.  Odd.  That's Netscape for
you, I guess.  :-)

@ 1996-09-11 20:01   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-11 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:

> But somehow, `nntp-try-list-active' decides that
>
>   nntp-server-list-active-group ==> t
>
> When trying to debug `nntp-t-l-a', I popped to the ' *nntpd*' buffer: it
> looked empty (didn't check for whitespace, though).  That would explain
> why the `try...' code succeeds, but I couldn't figure out why the buffer
> was empty.

I think I've fixed this in Red Gnus 0.33.

@ 1996-09-12  5:27       ` Ed Donovan
From: Ed Donovan @ 1996-09-12  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Kinda boring, though?  :-)
>
> No, there's tons of new stuff I want to add.  I'm just going through
> one of my "ooh, I *have* to read *this* book, and *this* book,
> and..."-periods.

Wait, this gig is _voluntary_?  I thought we had the guy chained to a
workstation somewhere in Oslo...

But, really, could this lead to new sig quotes?  I have to ask--what's
on the reading list?  (I'd ask people on the subway in NYC what they're
reading.  It's a compulsion...)

--
Ed Donovan				edonovan@world.std.com

* Re: Red Gnus v0.32 is released
@ 1996-09-13  2:09         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-13  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Donovan <edonovan@world.std.com> writes:

> Wait, this gig is _voluntary_?  I thought we had the guy chained to a
> workstation somewhere in Oslo...

:-)

> But, really, could this lead to new sig quotes?  I have to ask--what's
> on the reading list?  (I'd ask people on the subway in NYC what they're
> reading.  It's a compulsion...)

I know the feeling.  The first thing I do when I visit other people's
apartments is locating the bookshelf.  Then I very subtly try to scope
the contents while not looking like I'm being too nosy.  I always fail
miserably, though.

I've just finished "Kaddish" by Allen Ginsberg and "Daughter Buffalo"
by Janet Frame, and I'm now reading "Metropolitan Greetings" by AG,
just started a book by Marge Piercey (sp?) called, uhm, ah, uhm, no,
it slipped my mind, and am finishing "The Kif Strike Back" by CJ
Cherryh.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen