* Problem with multi-line References
@ 1996-09-26 16:02 Mark Boyns
From: Mark Boyns @ 1996-09-26 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

A friend mentioned to me that his newsreader is having problems with
the References header that Gnus is generating.  Apparently Free Agent
and Netscape cannot deal with a multi-line References header.  The
exact header line looks like this:

	<5261ig$2ue@scotsman.ed.ac.uk> <526k4e$oq6@goonsquad.spies.com>

I have to assume that multi-line References are valid so I guess the
other newsreaders are broken.  Maybe there should be a way to keep the
References on a single line?

* Re: Problem with multi-line References
@ 1996-09-26 17:30 ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-09-26 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Curiosity never killed anything, except
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ maybe a few hours. -A cat's guide to life

* Re: Problem with multi-line References
@ 1996-09-26 17:59 ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-09-26 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Mark Boyns writes:
>A friend mentioned to me that his newsreader is having problems with
>the References header that Gnus is generating.  Apparently Free Agent
>and Netscape cannot deal with a multi-line References header.  The
>exact header line looks like this:

>	<5261ig$2ue@scotsman.ed.ac.uk> <526k4e$oq6@goonsquad.spies.com>
>
>I have to assume that multi-line References are valid so I guess the
>other newsreaders are broken.  Maybe there should be a way to keep the
>References on a single line?

  This is just completely retarded behaviour on the other newsreaders
behalf.  Not understanding wrapped header lines is right up there with not
being able to handle virtual newsgroups.  OH wait...

-Bill P.

* Re: Problem with multi-line References
@ 1996-09-27  2:51   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-09-27  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

MB> A friend mentioned to me that his newsreader is having problems with
MB> the References header that Gnus is generating.  Apparently Free
MB> Agent and Netscape cannot deal with a multi-line References header.

Richard> Then they are broken.  RFC <mumble> states that headers may span
Richard> multiple lines so long as you indent continuation lines with
Richard> whitespace.

Red Gnus no longer breaks References: lines, so Mark's problem is
``fixed in the next release'' ...

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: Problem with multi-line References
@ 1996-09-27 18:54     ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1996-09-27 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > Red Gnus no longer breaks References: lines ...

I noticed.  My posting to nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding got munged
because of a long Reference: line.

Sigh.  There's just no way to win.

--Paul

* Re: Problem with multi-line References
@ 1996-09-27 19:30       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-09-27 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

PF> I noticed.  My posting to nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding got
PF> munged because of a long Reference: line.

Yes.  It could be formail, mini-inews, or dnews.  My guess is the
mini-inews from lynx (which stole it from nn).  Sigh.