* Mail Forward - a bit excessive?
@ 2001-02-12  6:44 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-02-12  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've seen gnus users complain about lists that put extra baloney in
the subject line... to id the group, and agree it is poor practice.

So I wonder why gnus seems so excessive about what it puts in a
forwarded mail subject line?  Wonder too if it is a good default.

I'd like to know how to shut it off, and just insert `Fwd:'

An example would be if I was to formard a recent message from ShengHuo
somewhere, it would insert his whole email address into the subject
line and inside the message body would include all headers, including
the From line that gets inserted into subject.

Subject: [ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu>] Re: compilation error

This seem quite excessive to me.  The insertion nearly obliterates the
subject line.  Whats wrong with a simple `Fwd:'?

* Re: Mail Forward - a bit excessive?
@ 2001-02-12  9:02 ` Kai Großjohann
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-12  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 11 Feb 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:

> So I wonder why gnus seems so excessive about what it puts in a
> forwarded mail subject line?  Wonder too if it is a good default.
>
> I'd like to know how to shut it off, and just insert `Fwd:'

See the variable message-make-forward-subject-function.  Does anybody
want to have a poll as to which default value is best?

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Mail Forward - a bit excessive?
@ 2001-02-12  9:38   ` Harry Putnam
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-02-12  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> On 11 Feb 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
> > So I wonder why gnus seems so excessive about what it puts in a
> > forwarded mail subject line?  Wonder too if it is a good default.
> >
> > I'd like to know how to shut it off, and just insert `Fwd:'
>
> See the variable message-make-forward-subject-function.  Does anybody
> want to have a poll as to which default value is best?

Thanks..

My vote goes to `Fwd:'

Is there ever a good reason to stick the name and email address in a
subject line?

* Re: Mail Forward - a bit excessive?
@ 2001-02-12  9:52   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2001-02-12  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon Feb 12 2001 at 03:02, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) said:

    kg> On 11 Feb 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:

    >> So I wonder why gnus seems so excessive about what it puts in a
    >> forwarded mail subject line?  Wonder too if it is a good
    >> default.
    >>
    >> I'd like to know how to shut it off, and just insert `Fwd:'

    kg> See the variable message-make-forward-subject-function.  Does
    kg> anybody want to have a poll as to which default value is best?

YLSNED.

The default seems rather silly in everyday life.  Is there a good
reason for it?

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: Mail Forward - a bit excessive?
@ 2001-02-12 14:11 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-02-12 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Subject: [ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu>] Re: compilation error

I think the format is some kind of pseudo-standard, at least not a
Gnus invention.

This is perfect for spam reports, in means the abuse handler can
identify the insident just by looking at the subject.  It is also fine
for forwarding real information, for real information the sender is at
least as important as the subject.

It is less optimal for mindless forwarding of poor jokes in office
environments, which may be the most common use of forwarding.

Please note that 'message-make-forward-subject-function' is
customizable, and one of the options is "Fwd: ".

I think the current default is the right one.

* Re: Mail Forward - a bit excessive?
@ 2001-02-12 16:06   ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2001-02-12 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anybody want to have a poll as to which default value is best?

Having come from the world of Windows MUAs before Gnus, the default
forwarding behavior confused me at first. I've grown to like the name
in the subject line, though. When I forward a message to someone and
they reply (with that Gnus-augmented subject intact), it's a little
easier to tell that we're really talking about someone else's
conversation.

In general, I assume that Gnus is doing it the "right way," and if it
looks weird to me than I must not be familiar with a long-standing
convention. Gnus teaches, too.

--
Steven E. Harris        :: steven.harris@tenzing.com
Tenzing                 :: http://www.tenzing.com

* Re: Mail Forward - a bit excessive?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-02-14 18:45   ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2001-02-14 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Harry Putnam, ding

Hi Kai,

On 12 Feb 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>> So I wonder why gnus seems so excessive about what it puts in a
>> forwarded mail subject line?  Wonder too if it is a good default.
>>
>> I'd like to know how to shut it off, and just insert `Fwd:'
>
> See the variable message-make-forward-subject-function.  Does
> anybody want to have a poll as to which default value is best?

I vote for 'Fwd:'.

And BTW I think the default for message-forward-before-signature is
also disturbing. You get three mime parts instead of one text and the
attached mail.

Greetings
		Christoph